Author Topic: Don't know what to do  (Read 3885 times)

Offline sayhellototragedy

• Learning the way of Sly
Don't know what to do
« on: September 29, 2011, 11:17:41 PM »
Well I would like to start off by introducing myself and telling you a little about who I am and why I'm feeling so bad about balding and why I have no clue what to do.

First off, I've been bald before. I took the guard off when I was 18 and buzzed my head completely. I had been balding since I was about 17, but it wasn't that bad or noticeable. Now I'm 19. My baldness is getting worse. I currently buzz my head using a 6 guard on top and a 4 on the sides. That seemed to work fine up until now, see I'm in college now and at college you can wear hats. So I do all day and man when I take off my hat after wearing it all day my bald spot is extremely noticeable, also when I go swimming it's noticeable. However when I use to go to High School I had a bald spot, no one ever noticed with a 6 guard on top and 4 on the sides.

The other problem I'm having is with coping. See when I basically went bald before I was fat. I really didn't care about my appearance. I'm not saying fat people are ugly either, that was just my case. I thought because I was fat I was ugly and didn't have anything to offer so I really didn't care what I looked like.

Now I'm skinny and somewhat muscular, and I feel like my lack of hair is hindering me from being "attractive" to women. While I've had girls tell me before that I'm cute or attractive, I don't know if I believe them because I think they're just saying that because they like me or what ever.

So I don't know what to do. I buzzed my head on like a #3 for the last 4 years almost and that seemed to work fairly well, but I don't know if that will help my problem with wearing hats. Basically I want to be able to wear hats and not have to worry about taking it off and then everyone going HOLY CRAP YOU'RE BALDING! But I don't want to go bald or clean shaven yet. I'm just not ready for it.

If you guys need a reference on how my hairline is check out my Youtube Channel and watch my recent videos. The lighting in the room shines directly on my head so it should give you a good ideal on how bald I am.
http://www.youtube.com/thehandofodd

Offline chgobuzzbald

• Super Sly
  • No more HT scars
Re: Don't know what to do
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2011, 11:32:49 PM »
You look great. Buzz it with a no. 1 . It will be a great look for you. There must be many guys where you are with buzzed or shaved heads ?  Why not be one of them ?  Many women love shaved headed guys. You have no reason to believe anything else about yourself. Great eyes, great face.

Offline BaldHDbiker

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2011, 03:30:37 PM »
I would agree with using a 1 to get use to it and then just shave it all off and buff it up.

Once it's sly and you gloss it up you'll feel like a million and will look killer.

Slynito

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2011, 06:10:32 PM »
I agree...ain't nuttin' better than a clean and shined head...do it!

Offline Acme

• Super Sly
  • Who's the bald guy?
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2011, 08:11:14 PM »
I would agree buzz to #1 to get used to it and then shave it.  You have a good look and from the video, a good personality.  You say your brother looks good completely shaved so there's no reason you shouldn't look good.  If you can grow facial hair, try a goatee.  You'll probably look awesome. O0

Whatever you do (buzz/shave), make sure to exude comfort and confidence with your decision.  My brother is the only one trying to bring me down off my bald high but it isn't working because I love it.  I think he's jealous I had the guts to do it.  I wish I had this support when I was 28 and starting to do the caesar to cover the receding.  I may have shaved it back then and found out earlier how much I like not having hair.

I still have sympathy for young people going bald if they really want to keep their hair.  But I now know it's not as traumatic as I thought and in actuallity, I love being bald.

Welcome to the group.

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2011, 01:11:24 PM »
Well thanks guys this has certainly been a confidence booster. I can't really see myself shaving my head yet because I don't have any tone on my head lol. That's probably the only reason why I don't want to do it.

I just have one last question, if I do buzz it down to say a #1 do you guys think I will have a horseshoe look? You know like have no stubble on top?

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2011, 01:21:36 PM »
If you've got hair on top then there will be some stubble there when you buzz it down to a #1.  Forget about the hats; they'll only hold you back.  Let the world see your bald head.  You'll be surprised at how quickly they -- and importantly, you -- get over it. Besides, most people probably already realize that you're hiding a balding scalp under those hats.  You say you're not ready yet -- no one ever is, so it's best to just get it over with  The relief will be instantaneous.

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2011, 08:11:30 PM »
If you've got hair on top then there will be some stubble there when you buzz it down to a #1.  Forget about the hats; they'll only hold you back.  Let the world see your bald head.  You'll be surprised at how quickly they -- and importantly, you -- get over it. Besides, most people probably already realize that you're hiding a balding scalp under those hats.  You say you're not ready yet -- no one ever is, so it's best to just get it over with  The relief will be instantaneous.

Oh I just wear hats because I really enjoy wearing hats! lol Not to cover up my baldness. I've worn hats pretty much all my life so everyone is just use to me having them on. But when I have to take off my hat after wearing it for an entire day the bald spot shows really bad.

Anyways I buzzed my head on a #2 today and I got this whole Jason Statham look going, which doesn't bother me at all. lol I'll probably bump it down to a #1 next time I buzz it then eventually bye bye hair!

I'm going to post some comparison photos below (The light in my bathroom is extremely bright just fyi we have a dang flood light right above where I am standing):
Before:

After:

Offline Acme

• Super Sly
  • Who's the bald guy?
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2011, 09:35:21 PM »
In my opinion, you should now skip the #1 and shave it. I think it will make you even more comfortable, it feels great, and if you can grow a goatee you'll be bad-ass. From your posts and video, you seem to already have acceptance of the situation so go ahead.  Younger guys today are lucky bald is a much more popular look.

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2011, 07:02:53 AM »
The after shot looks good. You've thinned enough that you're at the point where holding on to the hair really isn't a viable solution anymore.  If I were you, I wouldn't let it grow out past the #2.  Keep it at that length or go a little shorter if you're so inclined.  In fact, when I was at the point that you are today, I couldn't resist buzzing a little shorter to the next level.  It will only take a week to grow out to where it is now if  you don't like it.

Slynito

« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2011, 07:26:26 PM »
Acme, has it right...put the cold steel to it, now.

You'll grow to love it very fast.

O0 O0 O0

MikeBrke

« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2011, 07:47:00 PM »
I think you have a unique look (and I mean that in a good way!) and you should just shave it with a razor. It will grow back within a week or two and that will be enough for you to "test drive" the look.

And like others have said, once you shave it, you won't want to go back to where you are today. Trust us!

Offline BaldHDbiker

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2011, 09:35:02 PM »
Congratulations on taking the first step. I think it looks good and I agree with the others that you should just shave it on down. If you don't care for it you could let it grow back to where it's at now.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2011, 06:33:11 AM by BaldHDbiker »

Offline badguy1971

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2011, 11:12:06 PM »
where i live, there are 2 types of metal heads... long hairs and shaved to skin... you know what to do