Author Topic: Bad comment from a Walmart employee  (Read 14810 times)

Offline justinlane

• Sly Jr.
Re: Bad comment from a Walmart employee
« Reply #30 on: July 15, 2011, 06:30:47 PM »
I for one don't feel sorry for them.  Any business (doesn't matter that it's "just" Walmart) has to make sure that their employees treat customers with respect.  If the employee chose not to, they chose to not have a job.  If I were to make fun of one of our clients (a little different circumstances being in the Mental Health field) I would be fired on the spot.

Offline Daven

• Super Sly
« Reply #31 on: July 15, 2011, 07:47:20 PM »
Hang on guy's, don't forget one thing....  A friend of mine is one of 30 assistant managers of a Walmart. I told him of this story and he said that Walmart has a very liberal policy regarding terminations. That would NEVER be cause for dismissal. the employee likely had a lengthy disciplinary file and this was the last straw.  So don't feel bad for being the cause for his dismissal, "he had it coming" according to my friend. 

AKA Gimpy

Offline Timmer

• Super Sly
  • And it harm none, do what you will.
« Reply #32 on: July 16, 2011, 08:46:39 PM »
I get comments all the time from people I work with about how they liked me better with hair.  I can take it as criticism and get all defensive about it, going so far as to take it to HR if I choose to, or I can take it in the spirit it was given.  Some of it's just friendly ribbing.  Some of it's because they honestly believe I'd look better with the hair that I do have. 

I learned about a decade ago that what other people think of me is none of my damn business, it's theirs.  If I've got a problem with what other people think of me...that's exactly what it is.  MY problem.  I do have to pay attention to what my employers think, but I give them that power in return for a paycheck.  Other people, none of my damn business.

One definition of "surrender" is, "To join the winning side."

Offline tomgallagher

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #33 on: July 17, 2011, 05:47:42 AM »
In this economy I would hate to be the cause of someone losing their job.

Offline Bolohead

• Bolohead
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • At 56 and still feeling GREAT!
    • Jon Erdmann - Photographer
« Reply #34 on: July 21, 2011, 07:20:46 AM »
I work for a company that takes a very dim veiw of harrassment however slight, ribbing or not keep you mouth shut.  I'm not thin skinned, but this caused argument between my wife and myself concerning the head shaving.  My wife would rather see hair, and this caused her to flex her opinion right there in Walmart.  So I flexed back, the employee should have kept her pie hole shut.

Walmart chooses to flex its liberal termination policy, as I know I used to work for them and saw employee's axed for the stupidist things on the first time offense.  One employee was out on a 90 day medical, and was terminated when she did not return on her 90th day.  She returned on the day after which was day 91 and was told that she had been terminated, but if she wanted her job back that she held for over 12 yrs, she could be re-hired at the now starting wage for her job which was far less than what she had been making.

I don't feel sorry for the employee loosing her job over her comment, as harrassment being it ribbing or serious is a  problem no matter by employee to employee, or employee to customer.   

Offline slybronco

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #35 on: July 21, 2011, 09:24:16 AM »
I agree with a few the posts bro, don't sweat it. Kneeing me I would have told her to leave her crack pipe at home after reading your description of her.

Remember to not sweat the small stuff and it's all small stuff. You look great man and cannot really change that, much like narrow minded people cannot change their outlook. Peace.