Author Topic: First night out with my new no-guard noggin  (Read 3795 times)

Offline quickz

• Learning the way of Sly
First night out with my new no-guard noggin
« on: December 11, 2010, 03:21:56 PM »
I'm 24 going on 25 I recently (this week) shaved my head without the guard after progressively going from a #2 and #1.  I can definitely say without a doubt I love no guard waaay more then the others.  I have a receding hairline so I find it actually better at a shorter length.  Anyhow so I'm loving the new 'hair' I went to a xmas bbq last night at the start I was wearing my cap as I do.  But when it got dark I just took it off, such freedom!  There was no 'oh my god!' statements like I was expecting, heck there wasn't even actually anyone playing jokes with me. 

Of course there was the obligatory head rubbing from both men and women (thankfully!).  My mate straight up said I look way better without hair why do I bother to wear a cap, he has longish hair but said he wanted to buzz it down for summer.  We also talked about another of my friends who has a receding hairline and when he would eventually shave his noggin to.  We ventured into town (nightclubs etc) it's such a great feeling not worrying about how your hair will look!  It was great.  We didn't stay for very long but waiting for a cab I was talking to a good looking girl she didn't seem to be bothered about my hair in fact she actually commented about why I shaved it whether I was going bald or not.  I didn't mind and I don't think she meant it as a bad thing, I'm sure some people are just genuinely curious.

Anyhow so not a very exciting post, but I think there are a few points to be made even from a rather uneventful night:

*Your friends are your friends and they will be with you whether you have hair or not.
*You'll probably look better without hair!
*Girls will still be interested in you

It's truly amazing how much you do dwell on hair.  The amount of irrational thinking is quite unreal.  I'm sure if you had a full head of hair and were trying to council someone losing theirs, you would think a lot more rationally about the whole situation and not jump to dire conclusions (hair implants etc) and incorrect thoughts (I'll be unattractive to women, I'll look ugly etc).  But for some reason when it is you who has the 'problem' you suddenly lose your rational thinking and think the sky is falling.  Don't get me wrong I do believe that losing your hair will change you, it has to.  I have the 'so why me' thoughts just as much as anyone.  But I sincerely believe that losing my hair at a young age will make me a MUCH stronger person.  I'm not saying that to beat my own chest and pick myself up.  I'm saying that because I believe it's true.  Overcoming this, lets call it challenge I believe can truly define a person.  It's sad that so many people let the 'problem' define them rather then seeing it as a challenge to overcome.

So this post has ended a lot differently then I originally intended.  But I had to get my thoughts out.  Hopefully another young guy out there like me will read this and let himself go of all the stigma that is associated with hairloss. 

Also to the creators of this site and forum a big thanks.  Having this helps the process SOOOO much the amount of useful information on here is mind boggling and without it I'm sure many guys wouldn't come through their battle quite so well.  Much appreciated, thanks.

Offline tomgallagher

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Nobility
Re: First night out with my new no-guard noggin
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2010, 09:42:48 AM »
Let's see, booze, broads and bbq and you think somebody is going to worry about your hair.?

Offline SigSam

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2010, 06:57:35 PM »
I'm 22 and I remember first time going out with out a cap lol no one looked at me funny so I haven't worn a cap since. Try shaving with a razor it feels better

Offline Nonick

• Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2010, 10:07:20 PM »
Quickz, great post  O0
SigSam has a point!  Now that you've made it to no guard, try shaving the dome!  Once you do it, you may never grow another folicle!  ;)

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sure you can rub it... all the girls want to...
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2010, 02:51:24 PM »
WELCOME!!! Very nice post...............
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" W.C. Fields

Offline Basqueman

• Sly Jr.
  • Your opinion of yourself is the one that matters
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2010, 05:59:33 PM »
Nice post.  I started out using the zero clipper as well.  Did it for the 1st few weeks and I was apprehensive about going all the way.   Then I went for it and scraped my dome with a blade.  I'm still learning the technique and I'm experimenting with it now but I can tell you that I love the smooth dome!   

I've gotten only positive remarks so far.  I haven't been to work though since I'm on holiday.  I'm sure I'll get some friendly ribbing when I go back.

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2010, 07:10:50 PM »
Great post!  Welcome to SBG!
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.