Author Topic: For those not so into grooming  (Read 2236 times)

Offline Ronnie Dobbs

• Learning the way of Sly
For those not so into grooming
« on: July 11, 2010, 11:00:40 PM »
Hi guys.  I'm 26 years old and my hair has really thinned out.  I'm thinking of shaving my head, but here's the thing.  I'm a very very very (did I mention very?) low maintenance type of guy.  And while I admire you gents for your dedication, I can't imagine shaving my head more than once a week.  I'm not so concerned with necessarily looking good & sly, I'm just trying to avoid looking silly.  So I guess my question is:  if I don't shave my head for a week, will the growth be so noticeable that it stands out even amongst the "shadow" types?  Thanks.

Offline ozzie

• Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
Re: For those not so into grooming
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2010, 11:46:37 PM »
Hi Ronnie. Welcome to the forum. It's hard to say what your dome will look like after a week without shaving. Everybody's (remaining) hair is different in color and texture, and where it grows quickest (or at at all). Some get a pronounced shadow mere hours after shaving, while with others, you'd barely notice a difference days after they shaved. Some guys can't stand the look and feel of a minute amount of stubble. Some guys let it grow out a little bit before shaving again. Also, what is noticeable to you, might not be at all noticeable to others (if they care at all.)

Best thing to do is just shave it and see what happens, and how you feel about it. Commit yourself to 30 days of slydom, and see if you don't get a routine down that works for how you want to look, that suits your lifestyle, and  fits into your personal maintenance schedule.

Don't like it? Too much of a hassle? Just let it grow out.  8)

To conquer fear is the beginning of wisdom – Bertrand Russell

Offline Dome of Steele

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2010, 02:13:33 AM »
It all of course depends on your hair type, and how fast it grows.  But you could get away with shaving every third day.  Or if you just buzzed it every couple days it would take under a minute. 

I understand being low maintenance, but I think you should maintain your head more than once a week (after all you are saving the time you normally would be combing it, putting in products and worrying about it. ). 

Cheers and welcome!
<a href="http://www.imagechef.com/" target="_blank"> [img width= height= alt=ImageChef.com - Custom comment codes for MySpace, Hi5, Friendster and more]http://cdn-img1.imagechef.com/w/090813/sampff0212de70bbab6a.jpg[/img] [/url]

Offline Paul

• Bald Rider
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2010, 05:08:14 AM »
Welcome Ronnie.   As Ozzie said, you won't really know how it's going to look until you go for it.   A lot depends on things like rate of hair growth, hair color, even how tan you get.   Each of us is an individual.  Give it a try.  If you have questions just ask away, you'll find plenty of support here.
"...and I--I took the road less traveled by, and that has made all the difference."  Robert Frost

Offline texanron

• Sly
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2010, 09:17:31 AM »
Hey Ronnie - You should just buy a pair of clippers and buzz your head whenever you feel necessary.
I shave my head every other day and it takes about 5 minutes of my time. Are you sure its a low "maintenance" issue for you?

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sure you can rub it... all the girls want to...
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2010, 09:18:40 AM »
Welcome aboard Ronnie! You'll be pretty shaggy after a week.... but you get away with every third day or so. I have dark hair and beard so if I skip a day I look pretty rough. If your hair is lighter and/or finer you can easily go longer.
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" W.C. Fields

Offline CraftyGuy

• Ultimate Sly Guy
    • My Facebook page
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2010, 09:43:37 AM »
Welcome Ronnie!
MikeC

Offline baldguynextdoor

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2010, 03:25:08 PM »

Hey Ronnie,

No worries, man.  Run the clippers over it with no guard twice a week, and you're good to go.  Takes 5 minutes, tops.  Doesn't feel as cool as the totally sly noggin, but gets the job done. 

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2010, 04:16:17 PM »
Welcome.  Koz is right, twice in three years I've had it out to 6-7 days, and it's almost at a point that I need to use clippers before the shave. 
Another thing to consider, slick sly smooth as a baby's butt is addictive--you may  decide that for your dome, grooming is good--it just feels so fine.

Offline Sgt. Pate

• Sly Bureau
  • ~ Semper Fi ~ Sly Till I Die! ~
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2010, 06:43:53 PM »
Dude, nobody can be so lazy that they can't spend 5-10 minutes a day to get a good shave!  :*))

"Never pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you." - Clint Smith

Offline cvasara

• Super Sly
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2010, 07:53:27 PM »
Dude, nobody can be so lazy that they can't spend 5-10 minutes a day to get a good shave!  :*))

Plus 1
Agree with that.  But like any bad haircut, just a little time makes all things like they were.
It's just hair, it will grow back, if you have it to grow.  So whats the issue?
Maybe it's just me, but the first post made, (Might be this person's only one) maybe just to get a reaction.  But you just can't put much stock in a one time post.  There sure are a lot of replies though.

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.
Ronald Reagan--40th President

Offline Stu

• Sly Bureau
    • Hope is just around the corner...
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2010, 02:59:39 PM »
I find it more difficult to shave if I do let it go for several days.  If you only want to mess with it once a week, I would just get some good clippers, and buzz it back.  If I let mine go too long (rare), I have to use clippers and then my HB to get it slick.  It's a pain compared to quickly shaving each day, and I find that my odds of cutting myself seems to go up if I let my hair grow at all.  Just my 2 cents.
How is that Hopey / Changey thing working for you?

http://obamaclock.org/

Offline Morthen

• Super Sly
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2010, 03:42:15 PM »
once you get your routine down shaving your head should only take 5-10 minutes.
Bryce
Sly since May 16th, 2010

http://l33t.razerzone.com/index.php?user_dtl=a93edc2f9430bed4c6b2382425c327c0

Offline honestjohnny

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2010, 06:08:02 PM »
Also, consider the time savings of not having to shampoo or use conditioner, no combing and most days you just roll out of bed and unless you really stink, no one's the wiser.