Author Topic: I need some help  (Read 2069 times)

Offline Morthen

• Super Sly
I need some help
« on: June 06, 2010, 01:32:18 AM »
Anyone have really sensitive scalp skin? It seems like no matter what razor I use I end up with horrible razor burn and irritation and its getting tiresome

its making me not want to shave my head :( any razor suggestions? right now I use edge ultra sensitive shave gel, and a mach3. I try not to apply much pressure I usually let the weight of the razor do its thing.

oh and also, the irritation only seems to happen primarily on the back of my head(the worst here) and a bit on the sides. On the top I never get any problems

Bryce
Sly since May 16th, 2010

http://l33t.razerzone.com/index.php?user_dtl=a93edc2f9430bed4c6b2382425c327c0

Offline ozzie

• Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
Re: I need some help
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2010, 01:59:35 AM »
I had similar issues when I started shaving my head. I found that it was essential to let the irritation subside before shaving again, even if it was a couple of days. A lot of the irritation was caused by running the razor several times over the same area, in an effort to make that area totally smooth. As you get more familiar with the process, you'll figure out your own technique for running the blade over your dome that won't cause you any issues. You'll also find that the Mach 3 is very forgiving in comparison to other razors, so you can apply a bit of pressure to help remove all the stubble in one pass. Plus, your skin will adapt to the process too.

I also highly recommend Nivea Sensitive Post-Shave Balm for soothing the skin on your scalp after you shave. I found it instantly soothing and reduced redness immediately.
To conquer fear is the beginning of wisdom – Bertrand Russell

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2010, 02:18:26 AM »
also highly recommend Nivea Sensitive Post-Shave Balm for soothing the skin on your scalp after you shave.

O:O O:O O:O
It's great stuff--and don't forget the clean bit, astringent, wash two or three times a day w/ mild anti-bacterial soap--i.e. Cuticura, etc., and clean pillowcases regularly. 

Offline GnomeansGno

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2010, 03:34:24 AM »
I say take a break and don't shave everyday.  I used to do that, and it never worked for me.  Now I shave every 4 or 5 days.  Sure, the velcro feeling isn't great, but my skin is extremely sensitive, and if I shave everyday I get ridiculous amounts of irritation.  If I give my head a few days break, the shave always goes great, and my head always looks great.

Offline Gambrinus

• Bluegrass Bald Guy
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • HBG
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2010, 08:09:15 AM »
I would listen to these guys.  Might also want to try putting the can of gel in a sink of hot water to warm it up.  I would encourage you to ditch the can stuff when you get the chance.  Don't dry off your head after you get out of the shower.  It really sounds like you have dense hair in the back instead of sensitive skin.  Don't rush.  Might want to put your shaving gel on your head and let it sit while you shave your face.  Then rinse it off and apply fresh.  Keep mixing it up.  Try what these guys said too.  You might not be an everyday shaver.

Offline mangosink12572

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • Wonderful SHINY BALD
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2010, 10:27:23 AM »
Go easy and maybe skip a day once in while  - - -it took me several months before the  irritation  stopped   

Offline Morthen

• Super Sly
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2010, 04:52:54 PM »
I would listen to these guys.  Might also want to try putting the can of gel in a sink of hot water to warm it up.  I would encourage you to ditch the can stuff when you get the chance.  Don't dry off your head after you get out of the shower.  It really sounds like you have dense hair in the back instead of sensitive skin.  Don't rush.  Might want to put your shaving gel on your head and let it sit while you shave your face.  Then rinse it off and apply fresh.  Keep mixing it up.  Try what these guys said too.  You might not be an everyday shaver.
I usually take a nice hot shower and leave my head wet. put gel on my head and let it sit while I brush my teeth and shave my face and stuff. then I'll do the top and sides, then eventually back. Maybe I just need to be more careful or something because I do remember one time taking off all the stubble in one pass one time and not getting any irritation.
Bryce
Sly since May 16th, 2010

http://l33t.razerzone.com/index.php?user_dtl=a93edc2f9430bed4c6b2382425c327c0

parksie

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2010, 04:59:24 PM »
Brush your teeth first. Then do the shave process maybe your head is getting too dry or the cream is breaking down and causing drag on the razor.

Offline Gambrinus

• Bluegrass Bald Guy
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • HBG
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2010, 06:37:41 PM »
Yep.  Rinse and re-lather. You have some tough follicles.  See if that works.  Your on the right track.  Keep at it.  Don't try to knock it all down in one shot.  I relather at least twice.  Sometimes three times.  Lubrication and hydration is the key. 
   Let it heal.  Then get a fresh blade, don't try to stretch them out too far (ask me how I know).  Take a good hot shower.  Leave the door shut.  Steam the place up.  I wash my head and face first.  Then when I go to wash my body, I put some hair conditioner on my head and let it sit.  Wash the body and when I'm done rinsing my body, then I rinse of the conditioners.  I already have my shave stuff ready in the sink for when I get back.  If you soak your can in hot water while your in the shower, it won't  be cold when you get out.  Don't over do the goop.  You just need to cover your stubble.  Brush your teeth.  Shave your face.  Then rinse your head when your done.  Re-lather and start your head shave.  I start at the back and go down.  I go down on the sides and then I go from front to back.  I will guarantee your head will still feel like you have not done anything.  But if you look in the sink it will almost be black.  Now rinse and re-lather.  Now you do the exact opposite.  Back and sides go from top to bottom.  Top go front to back.  Rinse again.  Feel how much more smooth it is?  O:O  But your not done.  You will find patches that still are rough.  Rinse again.  The rinse is just re-hydrating your  head and getting the old goop out of your way.  At this point I just get a little cream on my hand and put it in the rough spots and do clean up.  Hope this helps.  Your hair sounds like it acts like mine.   O0  By the way, I don't shave every day.  I may skip a day.  I may do it two or three in a row.  I let my head tell me if I'm ready.  If I break out.  I take a day or so off.  You will notice that your head will "toughen up".

Offline jr1979

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2010, 06:40:34 AM »
I had some trouble with irritation when using a Fusion, so I switched to a Schick Quattro with some success. I think its the little wires over the blades that prevent them from getting too close.

And if you're not shaving in the shower, give it a go. That makes a big difference in terms of softening up the hair and making for an easier shave for me.