Author Topic: Any hunters or fishermen on board?  (Read 1640 times)

Offline omegapd

• Sly
  • "Fuzzy"
Any hunters or fishermen on board?
« on: April 16, 2010, 03:28:07 AM »
Sorry if this has been discussed before- I went back a pile of pages and didn't see it listed.

I grew up outside of Miami and lived in the Everglades as a kid...most of my days were spent fishing. Either the ocean or the swamp. Didn't matter. I'd skip school to fish and loved every minute of it.

Life happens and I haven't been fishing in years. I do deer hunt during the season but it's not a passion- only a way to get out of the house and enjoy nature. I let more deer walk than I do harvest them.

Anyway, I have decided to pick up a couple of fishing poles this weekend and take my 8 year old son out for a "male bonding" fishing trip. He loves to fish and gets the chance to go with my dad occasionally, but he's never gone with just the two of us. I can't wait. Like most parents here, our children are the most important things in our lives and we just can't spend as much times with them as we want.  It bums me out more than anything else in life...

Hopefully I can post a few pics on Sunday. Now that the weather is warming up- who else will hit the lakes or ponds or woods, etc.?

- Eric W-

Offline Paul

• Bald Rider
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Re: Any hunters or fishermen on board?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2010, 04:07:56 AM »
I have hunted and fished since I was a kid and still do every year.   Deer season is a celebrated event in Michigan's Upper Penninsula and school are even closed for the first day of rifle season.   While I enjoy fishing for anything, up here the primary emphasis is on walleye, salmon, and northern.  Unfortunately the season doesn't open for another month.   But at that time the waters of Lake Michigan will be crammed with boats.   Good luck, I can think of no better way for a  dad and son to spend time than on the water fishing.
"...and I--I took the road less traveled by, and that has made all the difference."  Robert Frost

Offline lifeinthesouth

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2010, 06:54:19 AM »
I have been hunting and fishing my whole life. It is what I love to do. We are headed out camping today to spend the weekend trout fishing and hunting turkey. It is something we like to do as a family. The wife doesn't hunt but loves to fish so we will probably do more fishing than anything.

On another note.
If you do hunt or fish which ones are your favorite? Myself I love fishing on the flats out on the gulf and bow hunting in the fall and winter months.

Offline wpruitt

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
  • Sly!!
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2010, 05:44:32 PM »
Nothing like a good quail hunt
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline fencer

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2010, 06:34:24 PM »
My son just sent me a picture of my youngest grandson (2 years old) with his first fish. It's killing me that i"m not a part of that! I remember fishing with my son when he was that age. It's kinda hard when they are in Oklahoma and I am working in Pennsylvania. Oh well, when I get a break, I promised them both..... we are off to drown some minnows !!!!!!! O0 O0 O0

Offline omegapd

• Sly
  • "Fuzzy"
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2010, 01:22:07 AM »
We snagged a couple of poles and he had a ball picking out some interesting lures this afternoon. We scouted out a spot on a river not even a mile from the house, so we're good to go for Sunday afternoon.

I prefer to eat channel cats, so I won't fool with lures and just stuck with chicken livers. He'll probably try his luck with lures and worms first (more fun for a kid to play with). Probably bring some corn too, and snag some Bream if the fishing Gods are good to us.

Now I can't wait!  8)
- Eric W-

Offline ChallengeMe

• Super Sly
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2010, 10:51:32 AM »
I enjoy fly-fishing. There are some great trout streams in NW Pennsylvania I have been on this spring so far.

Offline lifeinthesouth

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2010, 05:46:36 AM »
Nothing like a good quail hunt

I do agree, it is good times. I don't get to do much, but the times I have been it was a blast, I also like a good dove shoot as well.

Offline PigPen

• Single... and lovin it baby!
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2010, 09:47:26 AM »
Like most of you, I have hunted and fished almost my whole life. Deer hunting, quail, dove, pheasant are the hunts I've done and enjoyed quite a bit. I enjoy fishing for trout the most but never turn down the opportunity to drop a line in the water. Tried to teach my kids to fish, but they didn't have the patience for it at the time. We'll try again this summer.
In a bacon and eggs breakfast, the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed. BE THE PIG!!!

Online Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2010, 02:30:02 PM »
I hunt big game every November.  I have hunted birds all my life as well.
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Enter your email address: