Author Topic: Murphy's Law of Starbucks  (Read 1474 times)

Offline RyanJP

• Ultimate Sly Guy
Murphy's Law of Starbucks
« on: April 13, 2010, 09:04:46 PM »
There will be at least 2 within the vicinity of your residence, I count one a block away and another one two blocks away up the street. My old house there where 5, and all where walking distance. My good friend Tim enlightened me when he posted this ( he lives in San Jose ) : According to the Starbucks store locator, there are 4 within 1 mile and 10 within 2 miles of my house.  The russian mobsters are usually at the closest one sitting out front in their tracksuits.  The Ukrainian and Nigerian mobsters apparently have a schedule worked out for the one further down Bascom Ave, because one group or the other is always sitting out front, but never at the same time.

And yes the Mobster thing is %100 true.

Offline HairToday

• Sly Guy in Training
Re: Murphy's Law of Starbucks
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2010, 09:12:04 PM »
When I was at school in New York City I lived on St. Mark's Place in the Village... and I swear to God, there were two of them across the street from one another.

Personally, I avoid them and pretty much every other corporately-owned business like the plague.  Whenever I can, I try to support the independent coffee shops... before they all disappear.
Coolness is having courage, the courage to do what's right

Offline Rusty Shackleford

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2010, 11:29:22 PM »
I have a nearby mall that had 3 of them.  Yes, 3.  One in the 2nd floor food court, one in the central area of the bottom floor, and another in the Barnes and Nobel where they think it's a great idea to allow customers a means to read books for free and sell those now dirty and used books to the paying customers (ah Amazon!).

Another mall had 2: one in the food court and another directly below that at the bottom of the escalator.

Then Starbucks announced it was closing shops: well, duh!

Personally I can't stand them and only use them when whoever my company wants to go there.  Everything from the hipster employees to the judgmental food bugs the hell out of me.  And why is that creepy scrawny guy with the big ugly black glasses anways there?  Seriously, I know chains shops are supposed to have some uniformity, but at Starbucks it's like the exact same people behind the counter and  the exact same latte-sippers are there at every single one I've been in.  It's like something out of the Twilight Zone: you pass through the door which is actually some dimensional portal that takes you to the 1 Starbucks that actually exists.
You don't know me, but I know you.

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2010, 07:27:04 AM »
Personally, I avoid them and pretty much every other corporately-owned business like the plague.  Whenever I can, I try to support the independent coffee shops... before they all disappear.

It is hard to do, especially when SB gets into places like my gym where the coffee is now SB's rather than the local CC, PJ's etc.  And this in the City of New Orleans where more raw coffee beans are imported than any other port in the nation.  What's wrong w/ this picture :/O?

Offline The Scottish Ambassador

• Scottish Ambassador to SBG!
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2010, 09:03:14 AM »
I live in a SB desert where the independent coffee shop/tearoom reigns supreme. And long may it stay like that
If you always do what you've always done, then you'll always get what you've always got!

Offline tomgallagher

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2010, 09:43:59 AM »
Can you say overextended.

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sure you can rub it... all the girls want to...
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2010, 11:41:42 AM »
I just checked the locator and the nearest shop to me is 26 miles...... and that's fine with me. I think their coffee is terrible. I support a small local shop.
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" W.C. Fields

Offline omegapd

• Sly
  • "Fuzzy"
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2010, 12:42:58 PM »
Like Koz, I also hate their coffee and usually home roast my own green beans to get what I want. I guess I'm lucky, though. My town only has one SB.
- Eric W-

Offline PigPen

• Single... and lovin it baby!
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2010, 01:08:16 PM »
Their apple cider is about the only thing I'll get. But I only go there when I have a gift card too. They don't get any of my cash.
In a bacon and eggs breakfast, the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed. BE THE PIG!!!

Offline lifeinthesouth

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2010, 01:31:16 PM »
There is one about 35 min. from my house. Not sure the distance I would guess 30 miles. Ok by me. I like living where you notice when a car comes down the road rather than if they stop coming. I am a plane coffee kinda guy anyway. I do like Jittery Joe's coffee shops.