Author Topic: How are our Bald Brothers in the NE making it?  (Read 2013 times)

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
How are our Bald Brothers in the NE making it?
« on: February 26, 2010, 05:07:11 PM »
Noticed a few absences from the Forum today, Koz, Andrew, etc.  If you guys still have power let us know you're okay.  There's not much the Southern Domes can do for you, but we'd like to know if you're ok.  Sounds like there's yet another storm coming next week on Wednesday or Thursday due to El Nino's influence--oddly it's credited w/ keeping the hurricanes at bay last season. 
Let us know you're okay, we can't do anything about your cabin fever.  Hope you're getting along w/ everyone else in your respective igloos.
Stay Smooth,
Saintc

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Re: How are our Bald Brothers in the NE making it?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2010, 08:55:16 PM »
Just desperately counting the days until spring.     ;)

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sure you can rub it... all the girls want to...
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2010, 09:35:18 PM »
We're OK here. This one skirted past us. We got just a couple of inches of snow and a LOT of wind.

I was off today and it's my son's 13th Birthday. He has four other boys spending the night.... we just got home from taking the five of them to the movies to see "Wolfman".

I spent the day out with the wife... we're looking for a new home gym to go with our elliptical. We had a nice lunch while the kids were at Grandma's because school was closed.
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" W.C. Fields

Offline andrew

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • Sly for life ...
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2010, 11:43:57 PM »
Doing fine up here in Connecticut, Paul.   Thanks for asking....

We had white-out conditions today but not as much accumulation as expected.  I'm actually hoping for some more deep snow as I'm still testing my new snowblower.  So far so good ... 
“The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once.”
–Albert Einstein

Offline tomgallagher

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2010, 06:45:24 AM »
Only got 3 or 4 inches, NBD. North of us got hit pretty bad. C'mon Spring.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2010, 11:04:28 AM by Tom Gallagher »

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2010, 09:39:37 AM »
Doing fine up here in Connecticut, Paul.   Thanks for asking....

I'm actually hoping for some more deep snow as I'm still testing my new snowblower. 

Glad your new toy is giving you pleasure, but be careful what you ask for. >:D

Offline mangosink12572

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • Wonderful SHINY BALD
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2010, 10:38:32 AM »
We still have 34,000 without electric in Dutchess County  NY  - - -We have a generator so we  had heat and hot water  (so the melon was kept  slick)  and  we got  our electircity back after two days - - - - -  Spring cannot come soon enough  - - -

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2010, 10:44:01 AM »
We have a generator, but it's for tropical storms and hurricanes for refrigeration, lights and a small a/c for the bedroom.  Sort of strange hearing that you use it during power outages in winter.  I've never even looked to see if our's could hook up to a hot water heater or the blowers on the central heating and a/c because that would require 220 & 120 I would think. 
Then, we have gas for cooking and hot water during our outages that generally last 4-5 days..  All 120v.

Offline Nonick

• Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2010, 12:45:40 PM »
Gee, just when I thought I was missing New England.   :@`  Maybe it's just my mis-spent youth when I was in New England that I miss.  :*))
Out here in the shadows of the Rocky Mountains, we have underground utilities.  I have never been without electricity for more than an hour and that was due to a car taking out a transformer nearby!  Yikes!   :o
Our source of heat is natural gas.  It bothers me a little that something like "the big one" [earthquatke] in Chile could happen and take out our utilities, or if Yellowstone popped it's cork (volcano) then we'd have a lot more to worry about; like how fast can I get to El Paso, TX or some other relatively "safe" location.   ;)
It's good to hear that more people are preparing for bad events and getting auxillary heaters and generators and such.  There are even websites dedicated to such measures, such as: http://www.homelandpreparedness.com/ 
It kind of reminds me of the Boy Scouts "Be Prepared", and I don't mean that in a sense of fear, but common sense that we need to be prepared to take care of ourselves if/when something bad occurs!  O:O

Offline aarrggh

• Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2010, 01:09:31 PM »
  If anyone gives a rats pa-toot..Its been sunny all week in the north ( minneapolis ) and the snow is melting away.................. :XX

Enter your email address: