Author Topic: Interesting paragraph  (Read 3932 times)

Offline jroske

• Sly Jr.
Interesting paragraph
« on: May 13, 2010, 08:43:34 AM »
So i came across an issue with baldness.. Not trying to offend the bald community cause I am balding myself just thought this was a a different but true insight I have not really heard. From fitnessblackbook.com

23yo said:

Who are we fooling guys?!

If you are going bald, then there is no way to make the situation any better. Getting muscles/tan/facial hair/dressed/etc is preferred even if you aren't going bald, and therefore doesn't fix the problem. Buzzing/Shaving it constantly simply means you are trying hard to hide it as well. Yes, it is way better than the comb-over, but it doesn't fix the problem. Some men look better when they are buzzed/shaved, but not all people especially if they once had a nice hair or a stupid head shape. Having or lacking the confidence is something unrelated to hair, so please don't mix them. If you have confidence problem and you started going bald, then now you have two problems each should be dealt with alone, and buzzing wont fix both of them. Also, if someone likes you after being bald/balding, then it is not because they like the fact that you are looking good without hair, rather than because they liked something else you already had (and not got after buzzing/shaving). Finally, if there was a cure for baldness, no body will try to justify how going bald is not that bad. Actually they will expect you to cure it as it a really bad thing.

I would not only wish that I am not going bald, I would also wish that nobody else will ever experience it, even those I hate the most. This wish is coming from someone having lots of difficult family and life problems, and not only hair loss :(

just a thought but everyone has their opinion of course.

Offline jroske

• Sly Jr.
Re: Interesting paragraph
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2010, 08:47:52 AM »
I kind of disagree with the the above statements, because shaving can make it look better which then does make the situation better which can boost your confidence..also how he says confidence and balding is too different aspects but not all have always been lacking confidence some attained it fine til nature hit.

Offline TheSlyBear

• Opinionated Walrus
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • 忍者クマ
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2010, 09:18:31 AM »
I vehemently disagree. What a load of crap.

I'd also not characterize it as "interesting" but as misguided and rather arrogant (how cheeky to think he can speak for me).
« Last Edit: May 13, 2010, 09:20:12 AM by bootedbear »

Offline FightFan

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2010, 09:27:05 AM »
This guy is projecting his own negative feelings of balding on others going through the same thing which is completely wrong, not everyone goes through the same process of thinking. I know alot of guys who just don't care and its not a big deal to them.

Since when is going bald a situation? Its a natural phenomenon a high percentage of men will encounter at some stage in their life. Also seeing it as a problem that needs fixing is holding him back. To me it its something I accepted but now it is something I embrace. I LOVE being bald. If you read my introductory thread that's surprising thing for me to say. I guess I probably had similar thoughts to that guy when I noticed I was balding.

I don't think there would be many men who would say balding isn't that bad, because it is. We feel like we have no control over something personal in our life and is often a sign of aging and our own mortality in a way. Also not many people cope with change well, but being bald is completely different to going bald.

Baldness isn't a disease it doesn't need curing. But if a 'cure' was found and was offered free of charge, hand on heart I would not accept it. I'm having way too much fun as a baldy.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2010, 09:29:20 AM by FightFan »

MikeInPdx

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2010, 09:50:29 AM »

I'd also not characterize it as "interesting" but as misguided and rather arrogant (how cheeky to think he can speak for me).

What he said.

Offline xnewyawka

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2010, 02:21:36 PM »

What he said.

Same here. Who does this guy think he's kidding?   :/O  He needs a reality check.    :x!

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2010, 04:43:11 PM »
that's his problem :/O if he feels that way. :/O  me???  i'm loving my slick, smoooooth dome! O0 O:O

WARHAWK O0
Tough times don't last but tough people do!!!

Offline Rusty Shackleford

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2010, 07:30:35 PM »
Ooh, I'm gonna stir the pudding here because a lot of this actually makes sense:

Who are we fooling guys?!

If you are going bald, then there is no way to make the situation any better.

This is the main comment I disagree with, and even he disagrees because he contradicts it later on.  He should have said "fixed" because you cannot fix MPB.  You can hide it with hats or go in another direction that's just as good or even better (i.e. shaving), but you cannot fix it.

Getting muscles/tan/facial hair/dressed/etc is preferred even if you aren't going bald, and therefore doesn't fix the problem.

What's so controversial about this?  Most of those things really do improve an individual whether or not they are bald.  We have numerous posts on this board asking how to tan their heads, but no one ever asks how to make themselves look paler.  No one here has complained about having too little fat. 

Buzzing/Shaving it constantly simply means you are trying hard to hide it as well. Yes, it is way better than the comb-over, but it doesn't fix the problem.

Shaving the head cuts off the hairs and makes it difficult to detect MPB.  Therefore shaving the head hides MPB.  We have lots of people on this board who admit they'd regrow their hair if they had it.  So why do they shave it?  Because they want to hide a hairline that they do not like.  Why is that such a controversial statement? 

For those people the problem is the lack of hair and shaving their head doesn't fix it.  Even if the naturally balding person likes their bald head, if they prefer their old hairy head then baldness is a problem for them.  It might not be a big problem.  It might not keep them awake at night, but the magnitude of a problem does not eliminate the fact that it is a problem for some.

Some men look better when they are buzzed/shaved, but not all people especially if they once had a nice hair or a stupid head shape.

What's controversial about that statement? 

The only thing wrong about that statement is that it contradicts his first point.

Having or lacking the confidence is something unrelated to hair, so please don't mix them.

Sorry guys, but this is often true as well.  In fact, I'd bet a lot of guys blame MPB for many of their own issues.  For example, if Jack can't get Jill's attention then it's probably a lot easier for him to blame the MPB than it is for him to blame his lousy personality.

If you have confidence problem and you started going bald, then now you have two problems each should be dealt with alone, and buzzing wont fix both of them.

Again, 100% true.
People often have bigger issues and then blame some unrelated situation in their life for that problem because it's often easier than truely addressing the situation.

A decade ago I went on the acne treatment called Accutane.  At the time it was basically considered a last resort for the problem, but it was being blamed for suicides.    My doctor had an interesting theory.  She thought that instead of disturbing the thinking process, the drug probably eliminated the user's excuse for failure: If it wasn't for these stupid zits I would get the girl, get the promotion, get the respect, etc...  So they go on the medicine, the zits go away, but the problems remains.  The excuse is gone, so now what do they blame?  I bet a lot suddenly realize that their actions, choices, and personality were the fault of the problems so then they feel like a failure and want to die.

Also, if someone likes you after being bald/balding, then it is not because they like the fact that you are looking good without hair, rather than because they liked something else you already had (and not got after buzzing/shaving).

Again, what's so controversial here?  Unless you're a bimbo or a himbo isn't the substance of a person the main point of being involved with them?  Shaving your head certainly won't change your personality, and even in those cases where it does give a person confidence it only releases a personality that was always there to begin with.  It's like that old saying with sports: Sports don't build character they reveal it.

Finally, if there was a cure for baldness, no body will try to justify how going bald is not that bad. Actually they will expect you to cure it as it a really bad thing.

He's stretching it a bit too far here but:

1) Baldness can legitimately be thought of as a defect because it causes components of the body to degenerate without being replaced.  Just because it's an irrelevant defect doesn't mean it's not a defect.

2) If there was a safe, simple, easy cure for baldness I'm sure a lot would take the cure.  In fact there's a thread on this very site where many have stated that they would take it.

3) On his "nobody will try to justify..." statement, that really will be true for many.  Not everyone, but many.  Finding ways to justify an otherwise unwanted situation is a basic human coping skill, and the ability to do so is probably a big factor in a person's ability to be happy.  We should all have that skill!

I would not only wish that I am not going bald, I would also wish that nobody else will ever experience it, even those I hate the most.

Again, what's wrong with this?  For those who want hair, that would be great.  For those who like to shave their heads, they can continue to shave their heads.  Many naturally-balding guys on here dislike their faint horseshoe shadow to the point that they are using lasers to kill of the remaining hairs!

I'd bet that most of the people here who like their natural balding do so only because they see the baldness as being an integral step in the process that inevitably resulted in their becoming sly: a style that they've come to love.  In an extreme example, a person may come to appreciate their cancer because it was the means by which they eventually re-evaluated the focus of their life.

The only people who'd be screwed in a world without MPB would be those who like the MPB look (I bet that's few people) and those who find their headshave easier with the thinner hair.

This wish is coming from someone having lots of difficult family and life problems, and not only hair loss :(

just a thought but everyone has their opinion of course.

So this is a guy with a lot of problems in his life, and probably likes his head of hair and is now finding it disappearing on him.  Let the poor guy vent!  It's not like he was mocking us, attempting to speak for us, or even being anything even remotely arrogant.
You don't know me, but I know you.

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sure you can rub it... all the girls want to...
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2010, 04:14:07 PM »
Do you really care what this fool thinks? You've wasted too much energy on him........ Move along please......
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" W.C. Fields

Offline Morthen

• Super Sly
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2010, 06:03:09 PM »
everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Regardless of how wrong it is  ;D
Bryce
Sly since May 16th, 2010

http://l33t.razerzone.com/index.php?user_dtl=a93edc2f9430bed4c6b2382425c327c0