Author Topic: 5 years today! (Warning....turned out kind of lengthy)  (Read 5500 times)

Offline Ozz2012

• Sly Jr.
5 years today! (Warning....turned out kind of lengthy)
« on: December 29, 2016, 10:49:53 AM »
It was five years ago today that I took the plunge.  It was an impulsive thing.  I wanted to do "something" for the new year....didn't know what it meant, exactly.....something to the house....a new hobby.....new socks....

Had to go to Walmart to pick up a prescription, and while waiting walked by the hair clippers like I had a thousand times before, without paying much attention.  Then thought...hey....this might be a laugh....and bought an inexpensive set.

Got home and clearly remember staring in the mirror with the clippers running, for a good five minutes, wondering if I should back out (My hair was about shoulder length at that time)....

Decided to go for it and brought the clippers to the side of my head, just above my ear and thought...."Nope...I could still back out if I start there"......so I took a breath and went right down the middle.

Now....I didn't start out completely sly....I think it was a 4.....but the next day I went to a 3....and thought...maybe one more....and over the next few days came down to a .5, then no guard......

I then bought some Oster Classic 76's (love them, btw) and went 000 then 0000 and then a 6x0....and of course, finally the completely slick....and I tend to go between slick an 6x0 now....

And have I ever regretted it?  No.  Do I think my head shape is perfect?  No.  Do I get to hear the occasional "You should let it grow back a little, you'd look better"...Of course.

Do I care?  In the end....no.

Why?  Because I like it.  It's easy.  It's (mostly) maintenance free.  (No more bad hair days, no more sprays and gels and shampoos and this and that and the other)

My regret?  I didn't do it years sooner.

For those of you who write in all upset and nervous and frightened about whether you should do it....don't worry....I would say 95% of everyone here (including me) felt exactly as you.  (There are 5% of folks here who are much cooler than I and never worried about it a bit ;-)  )

You have NOTHING to lose by giving it a shot.  If it's not for you....it grows back. (Most of it, anyway ;-)  )

BUT....and this is important....do NOT look at yourself after completing the "task" and scream "I HATE IT!!  I LOOK AWFUL!!"....Why?  Because you don't.....what you look is DIFFERENT.

It will take you a while to adjust.  But (most of ) you will.

You'll hear the comments....but....after the first couple days, they'll settle down (except for those special few who will talk about it for years).

And remember....people you just meet after, will only have known you like that.

People who ask about whether it's ok for work....I don't think that's an issue anymore....I've never worked at a place where short (or no) hair wasn't allowed.  I had more of a problem with long hair.

Anyway.....that's my annual 2 cents and overly lengthy post for those on the fence.

I wish all of you a Happy New Year...and for those here who are new....the folks on this forum are all here to listen and willing to help get you through this experience.

Peace, all!

Offline nuts

• sly and bearded
  • Sly Bureau
Re: 5 years today! (Warning....turned out kind of lengthy)
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2016, 12:16:40 PM »
All so true.  And all the best for 2017 from an Oz to Ozz.
Roger

Offline Miller1989

• Sly
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2016, 07:25:47 AM »
How close does the Oster 76 shave? I've been looking into them.

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2016, 08:33:17 AM »
Congratulations!
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline Ozz2012

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2016, 02:32:35 PM »
Hey Miller....The shortest blade I've found for the Oster's is the Andis Outliner which is a 6x0 (.1mm).

The clippers are pricey, but they're definitely heavy duty (and I think, worth it)

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2016, 02:33:57 AM »
Congrats on 5 years!
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline clipped

• Sly
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2020, 09:23:45 PM »
I was the same as the OP. I stared with a crew cut at the barbers; went shorter and shorter; started using a beard trimmer; went Oster, working my way down from #1 to #000000.  I have been mostly razor shaved since June 2019, and nothing greater than a #000000 since January 2019. I have white hair and MBP, so not much to see anyway.  Love the feeling and the look, either shaved of #000000. 

Enter your email address: