Author Topic: Can your head adapt to cheaper blades?  (Read 5311 times)

Offline zuckermania

• Sly Guy in Training
Can your head adapt to cheaper blades?
« on: October 25, 2007, 06:09:45 PM »
In an attempt to nurture my cheapskate side, I went out and bought a bag of disposable razors at Walmart for $6.  Let's just say I went through a lot of band aids trying to clean that mess up after one shave.  Seems to me that unless I'm using a triple blade my head is just aching to be nicked.  So now it's back to the HB triple blades... my cheapskate side wants to find a compromise though.  Can you adapt to a 'rougher' blade, such as the HB double?  That would save twice the cost.  And yes, head shaving is overall going to cost the same amount as going to a barber, and yes not nicking yourself is most important to looking good, but has anybody got any feedback on 'adapting' to a lesser blade?

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Re: Can your head adapt to cheaper blades?
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2007, 06:24:25 PM »
zuckermania....1st of all welcome 2 the sly fraternity.  good 2  c  another member from florida representing.  2 answer your question.... the general rule on the sly forum is cheap razor=horrible shave.  u get what ya pay 4.  i'm a fusion (manual) user so i won't  b  able 2 help u  out on the hb razors.  however....we have several headbladers out there that can help ya out.   O0

WARHAWK O0
Tough times don't last but tough people do!!!

Offline SLYinKC

• Life's too short to not be SLY
  • Sly Bureau
  • Totally "SLY"
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2007, 06:29:01 PM »
I agree with Warhawk on this one.  Do not skimp on blades or YOU WILL PAY FOR IT IN THE END!!!!  I do know that some of the Headblade users have found that the Wal-Mart "Persona" generics will do the job.  But, I'm not a Headblader, so can't give you any advice on this one.
<a href="http://www.imagechef.com/" target="_blank"> [img width= height= alt=ImageChef.com - Custom comment codes for MySpace, Hi5, Friendster and more]http://cdnll.img1.imagechef.com/w/080404/samp2e8ccec0733546ef.jpg[/img] [/url]<embed

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2007, 08:36:20 PM »
As a HeadBlader that uses the Sensor Excel (double) blades, I think you can easily adapt to those.  It also depends what type of shaving cream/gel/oil  you are using.  What type and brand are you using?
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline wpruitt

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
  • Sly!!
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2007, 08:45:31 PM »
To paraphrase Forrest Gump .... "Mama always said cheap is as cheap does"
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2007, 08:47:13 PM »
The blade is not something you want to skimp on; you definitely get what you pay for.  You don't need to use the most expensive blade on the market, but stay away from the really cheap ones.  I tried that once -- I got more knicks than I'd ever gotten in my life, and aside from that it was an all-around horrible shave.  Even if your skin does adapt, the cheaper blades won't last as long so it's a false economy.

Offline Stu

• Sly Bureau
    • Hope is just around the corner...
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2007, 08:48:53 PM »
I think it just all depends on what your head can tolerate.  I can get by for weeks using a Personna (generic Atra) on my Headblade, and I have quite a bit of hair on the sides and back.  I consider myself lucky.  Half the fun of shaving is discovering what works.
How is that Hopey / Changey thing working for you?

http://obamaclock.org/

Offline Deadbob

• Dust Collector
  • Sly
  • Bald - Again
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2007, 01:28:05 AM »
I personally use the headblade, and don't cheep out on blades...

However, a guy at work uses the disposable Venus blades, 3 for $4, and seems to have good results with them. Remember, the Venus blade is designed for shaving a leg, so shaving a head with them should be no issue

Offline JDog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2007, 07:27:29 AM »
I think it just all depends on what your head can tolerate.  I can get by for weeks using a Personna (generic Atra) on my Headblade, and I have quite a bit of hair on the sides and back.  I consider myself lucky.  Half the fun of shaving is discovering what works.

Stew is quite right in this assertion.

However I'll tell you what doesnt work and I found out the hard way.

CHEAP BLADES!

Stick to the Sensor Excels with the HB or the Fusions bro, they will give you the best shave.

Offline zuckermania

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2007, 08:29:12 AM »
So I just got the a new set of HB triples, their head slick, head lube, and their head shed.  Good lord that made a difference!!!  It was down right enjoyable!!  I guess the sensor excel is the double version of the HB that fits, does any triple blade (that you can buy at a drug store) fit on as well?? 

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2007, 08:33:54 AM »
Hope your enjoyment also reminds you that even with "premium" blades, shaving gel, etc., you're still saving lots of money, no barber, no shampoo, no conditioner, no combs, no brushes, no hair spray.  You are saving LOTS and also getting the pleasure of the Sly Life.  Life's a bargain when you're Sly.

KALBO

« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2007, 09:13:20 AM »
Bought some generic Xtreme IIIs for my bro...borrowed one for my face...all I have to say is OUCH!!!

Nothing but Xtreme III, Sensor trips, or HeadBlade trips touch my dome!!!

X The Hierophant

« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2007, 09:49:01 AM »
In an attempt to nurture my cheapskate side, I went out and bought a bag of disposable razors at Walmart for $6.  Let's just say I went through a lot of band aids trying to clean that mess up after one shave.  Seems to me that unless I'm using a triple blade my head is just aching to be nicked.  So now it's back to the HB triple blades... my cheapskate side wants to find a compromise though.  Can you adapt to a 'rougher' blade, such as the HB double?  That would save twice the cost.  And yes, head shaving is overall going to cost the same amount as going to a barber, and yes not nicking yourself is most important to looking good, but has anybody got any feedback on 'adapting' to a lesser blade?

I don't believe so.  My method was to find that "perfect blade" for my head and stick with it.  I had many bloody shaves in the experimentation process, but now that I found the blade for me I never even get razor burn.  For me it's headblade with Sensor Excel blades.  It's not worth it to skimp on blades for me...

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2007, 02:35:34 PM »
I guess the sensor excel is the double version of the HB that fits, does any triple blade (that you can buy at a drug store) fit on as well?? 

The Sensor 3 blade will fit or the Personaa Tri-Flexx blades.
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline tomgallagher

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2007, 02:47:26 PM »
Probably but why would you want to.?