Author Topic: New #1 in my quest for slickest shave  (Read 8536 times)

Offline xnewyawka

• Sly Bureau
New #1 in my quest for slickest shave
« on: August 30, 2007, 02:01:48 PM »
Hey Slyguys, I stopped of at CVS yesterday and finally found some KoS Alpha oil.
I had been checking out old posts for some hints and opinions on getting the smoothest shave.
I have been using the KoS Alpha gel all week so far, and was happy with it's performance.
I was reading some of the brudda's posts on shaving oil, and figured I may as well give it a shot.
Well, let me tell you, I am glad I did!.
I'll give you the rundown:
I was a bit skeptical, I figured how could so little (a few drops) keep your head lubed enough for a whole shave?. Got in the shower, my usual routine is wash face, body first; this allows time for your scalp ( and stubble) to get good and wet. If any of you are shower shavers, try shaving last if you don't already.
Wet my head before applying 3 drops of oil to my noggin and rubbing all around. I was thinking I need one more, so I added it. Made sure I covered the whole head. Picked up my HB sport and proceeded in my normal way. Wow!, right away I knew this was a good product, The shave was smooth and easy , with very little, if any drag!
That was from the top of dome going forward. I then went to the back and same thing, excellent shave. Now for the trouble spot: the sides!, this time, no trouble at all, and I was even able to go lower than I had been so far. All the time thinking " I can't believe how good this is going!".
I finished up, washed the dome with my face soap. I toweled the dome and could feel the smoothness I got was much better than previous shaves.
I highly recommend the KoS alpha oil. It's great on it's own. (As I'm typing this, I can't help but feel the slick, smooth dome). It really works well. I guess I will have to try it with the Alphagel and Headslick, but this is number one right now.   8)

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
Re: New #1 in my quest for slickest shave
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2007, 03:22:52 PM »
Yeah, I'm trying out the Alpha Oil right now also.  It's some good stuff - pretty much the same thing as the KoS Kinexium Shave oil that was reviewed here by BaldRob and me.  http://www.slybaldguys.com/smf/index.php?topic=1033.0
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline xnewyawka

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2007, 04:48:18 PM »
I saw the review last nite when I was searching for more information from older posts.
It definitely helped me to make my decision to give the oil a try. Glad I did.
Thanks, Tyler.   O0

Is the Kinexium much better than the Alpha oil? I would think they must be similar. I'm running out of room for all the "product", lol.

Offline hipstersaint

• Sly
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2007, 06:12:39 PM »
that's exciting!!! I will have to try it!

Offline xnewyawka

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2007, 08:29:06 AM »
Hey guys, I just want to add to this from earlier.
I have been using the KoS oil for the last three days and found it to work very well. This morning I figured I would try the Alpha gel again, see if it's still up to par. I am glad to say it went well. I was worried I may not get the same slick closeness, but I got just as close and smooth a shave as with the oil.
I also happen to think I'm getting much better at scraping the noggin, which comes with time and patience. The alpha oil helped me to be able to proceed to go lower on the sides, since it it so slick. I now can bring the HB right up to the ear and that helps because now I spend less time at the sink cleaning up. I am getting much quicker in my routine, and there is also less mess to cleanup (water splashing all over, lol).
So I will still use the oil in conjunction with the alpha gel and the trusty headslick.
I find these three items are the top of the heap.    O0

Offline hipstersaint

• Sly
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2007, 09:57:21 PM »
I tried the alpha oil, and I agree, that especially when combined with my regular shaving cream ( C.O. Bigelow's from Bath and Body Works) it does a very nice job. the only downside is the tea tree oil scent is a little..... funky.

Offline JDog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2007, 10:36:35 PM »
Hey Joe. Great post and review mate. I will be going to the store and picking up both the Kinexium and Alpha shaving oi. I had been using the Sommersets shaving oil which worked pretty good.

KOS make great products, I use the Alpha Gel everyday and get a great smooth shave on head and face.

X The Hierophant

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2007, 08:47:58 AM »

I highly recommend the KoS alpha oil. It's great on it's own. (As I'm typing this, I can't help but feel the slick, smooth dome). It really works well. I guess I will have to try it with the Alphagel and Headslick, but this is number one right now.   8)

Something new for me to try.  I'll run by CVS this weekend and give this a go.  Sounds like a great find.  Thanks for the tip  O0
« Last Edit: September 04, 2007, 11:32:23 AM by X The Hierophant »

Offline xnewyawka

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2007, 10:38:59 AM »
X, let me know what you think when you use it.
BTW, how is the shaving going? Which blade have you settled on?
Did you ever try the Atra's again?   ;)

X The Hierophant

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2007, 11:35:41 AM »
X, let me know what you think when you use it.
BTW, how is the shaving going? Which blade have you settled on?
Did you ever try the Atra's again?   ;)

Yeah, I'll do that.

Shaving is going well.  My Headblade doubles came in and I will be trying it out once my current blade is worn down (a couple more days).  Definitely not going back to the Atra's   :Xo! @c3 :Xo!... those things do not get along with my skin at all.  Sensor blade are working great though.  I'm curious to see how the Headblade doubles work.  They sure were cheap (less than $9 for 10).  O0

Offline xnewyawka

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2007, 03:52:05 PM »
Glad to hear your doing well with the sensor's. I haven't tried them yet because I am getting good results with the atra plus'. I will wait to hear your opinion on the HB doubles.

I used the alpha oil again today after three days of using the alpha gel, and I gotta tell you, it's the smoothest shave I can get, just super slick. It's definitely the best stuff out there for the money. 4 drops is all I use and it keeps the dome well lubed for the whole shave. It also feels great after the shave is done. My skin feels softer.
I use a small bit of Bald Guyz moisture, and I'm good to go.    8)

Post up how the oil shave goes for you, and also, how many shaves are you getting with the sensor before you change up?.

X The Hierophant

« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2007, 03:57:55 PM »

Post up how the oil shave goes for you, and also, how many shaves are you getting with the sensor before you change up?.

Will do man.  I'm looking forward to giving the oil a go.

I get 5-7 shaves with the sensors.  I was only getting 2-3 with headblade triples, so as you can guess I am pleased.  I am looking forward to giving the headblade doubles a go.  They are cheaper than the sensors, but the sensors work so well for me I am curious to see how the HB doubles compare.

Offline Head Bald Guy

• Super Sly
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2007, 05:45:28 PM »
Hey X,

I too am an X NYer and want to suggest you check out the Bald Guyz Shave Gel. Its slick and you will get a very close shave with no irritation. Also, Bald Guyz Sunscreen is available at several retailers like Duane Reade, Publix, Kroger and Winn Dixie as well as online at baldguyz.com. Give us a try an I am CERTAIN you will be happy and SMOOOOTH!

HBG

Offline Dooj

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2007, 06:53:14 PM »
I have the KOS Alpha Oil and KOS Gel. I used to be a Headslick only guy until I tried the KOS products. I wanted to try the baldguyz gel but the only way to get it is off their website. I'm purchasing what is convenient for me and what is at my fingertips at a retailer.

The KOS products have provided the closest shave out of any products I have tried.

O0

Offline xnewyawka

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2007, 11:05:38 PM »
Hey head Bald Guy, nice to see another NY'er here.
I would love to try the Bald Guyz shave gel to give it fair comparison, but am unable to find it here so far (AZ).
I have found the other products at CVS and Walgreen's here though. I am a daily moisture gel user and also love the head wipes, they really freshen up the noggin, especially on a hot day.
If I can't find it at a few more places I have yet to check, I will order online.

Thanks for the "heads" up.   ;)

ps- which part of NY did you come from?

Enter your email address: