Author Topic: Questions about Panasonic Linear ES8243  (Read 3044 times)

Offline xivdef

• Sly Guy in Training
Questions about Panasonic Linear ES8243
« on: June 18, 2015, 09:37:49 AM »
Hello I am looking for some advices on electric razors. I am actually shaving my head with the DE, almost always with the grain. So far,the technic is great and economic but I would be interested in an equaly good alternative solution in electric shaving. (I also own the Balding Clipper but it's not providing a close shave like the DE)

So I saw here the model Panasonic Linear ES8243, it looks quite popular and good. I have a few questions:

#1. Would I get less irritation with this electric razor then the DE in WTG?
#2. Does the ES8243 will provide a shave has close has the DE in WTG? (Or closer to the DE or to the BC ?)
#3. I almost can shave each morning with my DE, (usually skipping 2 days in a week) basicly I have very low irritation. Would it be thinkable to shave every morning with the ES8243 ?
#4. If I were to shave every morning with the ES8243, how much time shoud I expect the blades to last?
#5. It's written I can shave wet or dry, which technique is the best for my head? Does it affect the longevity of the blades? I guess it's not meant to be used directly under the water ?
#6. I have to replace the blades and the foil on this razor, do I need to replace the foil every time I replace the blades?
#7. What about the battery, can I expect it to last a lot of years?

Thanks (:

Offline xivdef

• Sly Guy in Training
Re: Questions about Panasonic Linear ES8243
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2015, 06:37:32 PM »
hemm I am sure some people have experience with this device..

Nobody wants to share this knowledge with me?

):

It would help me to take a decision to buy or not.

Offline buddha

• Sly Bureau
  • Cut myself shaving!
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2015, 04:28:15 AM »
I have an ES8243K for maybe 4 or 5 years. I'm mainly a blade shaver but on those days when I don't feel like doing the "lather up and scrape the grape" thing I don't worry about getting a bad shave with it. It will take off 3 days worth of stubble with no problem and leave my dome nice and smooth.
I use Williams Lectric Shave with it and the Williams does just what it advertises. The only caveat with it is that I've read that it has some corrosive elements so there are 2 things that I do with regard to that. First I dilute the Williams with some stuff I got off Amazon called Osage Rub. I do a 50/50 dilution. It's got a nice smell and is alcohol based so it doesn't stay too oily on the skin. Second, when I'm done shaving I rinse the razor in hot water with Dawn dish soap to get any sticky stuff off the blades. I'm still on my original blades and I think it's due, in large part, to this practice.
My battery needs charging now more than it did when it was new but I can still get a good number of shaves out of it before it needs recharging, probably 8 or 10 dome and neck shaves. The K on the end of the model number indicates that the shaver is all black.
The Panny is a wet/dry so I can use it in the shower with shaving cream if I like.
I've been really happy with mine but the guy to check with is Simply Red. He wrote some posts about the Pannies that I read when I first came to the forum and based largely on his reviews I went and tried one and have been happy with it. Look him up in the members list and maybe send him a PM, I think he's the resident Panny expert.
Also, look up the Panasonic Premium Store online. That's where I bought mine. When I wrote about that in here there was some concern that they sell a lot of refurbished units and at first that caused me some concern. That is until somebody wrote that a refurbished unit is really a new one with the bugs worked out.
I have no complaints and a lot of kudos for my 8243. IMO it shaves damn near as good as a blade.
"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it never really care for anything else thereafter."
Ernest Hemingway, On The Blue Water.

Offline xivdef

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2015, 05:43:50 AM »
Thanks Buddha for this valuable information, this shaver looks amazing really.

I wonder, do you use the Williams Lectric diluted with Osage Rub + shaving cream only to shave in the shower or it's the technique for wet and dry conditions?

Thanks.

Offline buddha

• Sly Bureau
  • Cut myself shaving!
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2015, 06:59:00 AM »
You could use the Williams under shaving cream but it's not necessary. I usually use the Williams to shave my head outside the shower or if I'm going to use the Panny in the shower I use shaving cream. If I use it with just shaving cream there's no need for the dawn wash, a simple water rinse will clean the blades just fine.
"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it never really care for anything else thereafter."
Ernest Hemingway, On The Blue Water.

Offline Beadog

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2015, 03:36:38 PM »
I have a 3-blade Panasonic, very much like the razor that you have posted questions about. I have found that mine is an excellent shaver, and gives results about 95% as nice as a DE or straight razor. I use my Panasonic in the shower, with shaving oil and shaving cream. I like mine so  much that I will probably spring for the big daddy of all the Pansonic arc razors soon:

http://www.panasonic.com/au/consumer/household/grooming/electric-shavers/es-lv65-s841.html

Cleaning is easy in the shower. I have never replaced electric shave blades. I just usually have upgraded to a newer razor after a couple of years. I have replaced a foil only once, after dropping a razor on its head. I did not replace the blades at that time, with no adverse performance noticed. Daily shaving  with a Pansonic linear razor is simple and quick. I am in and out of the shower, clean and shaven, in about 10-12 minutes. I prefer using my electric exactly like I use my DE and straight razors, with a good prep, pre-shave oil, and a good shaving soap or cream. Cream is just easier to use in the shower. After 6 weeks of daily shaving my dome, the Panasonic is what I reach for most days, just because it is so simple and effective. I always battled razor bumps and razor burn using electric razors in the past, but my scalp seems to like a Panasonic linear better than my face ever did. Strange, but true!

Offline baldbob

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2015, 11:45:55 AM »
I have a Panasonic Arc 3 shaver and love it. I agree with Beadog that it gives results about 95% as nice as a blade, but that's good for me. No cuts. No irritation. I use good old fashioned foam shaving cream and that's it. Shave gels don't seem to work as well. Every now and then I'll go back to a blade, but the electric is my shaver of choice. I think I'll probably spring for the Arc 5 when this one wears out.