Author Topic: New guy here, hoping for advice, been shaving for little less then a year  (Read 2870 times)

Offline wvheadshaver

• Sly Guy in Training
Hi! So basically, I am a 23 year old guy, and i've been shaving my head since sometime in April this year, I believe it was. I did have a receding hair line, but I am not conscious about that. I pretty much just can't stand hair on my head and finally decided to give it a try. I loved the feeling afterwards and have been shaving ever since, and have not went more then 4 days in between shaves. Usually it's 2 days for me, 3 and it can be a pain to shave.

I started out with a Fusion Proglide a friend gave me, using Barbasol cream. I tried out a couple different kinds of razors, like the Schick Hydro & Gillette Mach 3. For awhile now I have been using the Gillette Mach 3's, they just seem to work better with me than the big bulky Schicks. I finally tried the Gillette shaving gel, which I like much more then the Barbasol, but I still tend to get a few more nicks then usual while shaving.

I think I have dry skin, and maybe that could be a big part of my problem. Usually I will just use water to get it moist, and then apply the gel. I tried baby oil the last shave, thinking maybe it would solve my dry skin problem long enough for a shave, but it seemed to soak in so quick my head would get dry with the gel on top of it.. Needless to say, that turned into a mess. Maybe I need to try re wetting my head completely, when I move to other areas of my head, since it seems to dry up quickly.. I also need to try doing more passes, re wetting everytime.. I just wonder if anyone could refer me to a good oil to apply before the gel, or should I use something like Coconut oil, or some kind of oil I could find in my kitchen... Honestly I can't stand the oil, would rather use water and gel, but is that something every one of you guys do while prepping to shave? I can't help but think I NEED to go that route, that it's what everyone does... ( Please remember I am 23 but still new to the general idea of head shaving, when I started I bought what I thought was only neccesary and did not look into much for advice ).

I think one of my main problems, is not doing many passes. I have to be more patient, that is for sure. For example, when I get to the back of my head, since I wait 2 days usually and it isn't very long by then, I usually go against the grain, but do maybe 2 passes. Sometimes I catch myself going over an area to much without applying more cream...

So basically, what I want to ask regarding that, is this... Should I do 1 pass, completely WITH the grain, and then do a pass AGAINST the grain, but only going over one area ONE time, and then do another pass against the grain, again going over an area only ONE time, until I am satisfied? Sometimes it seems like that could take forever, but I will go that route if that is recommended. As far as the front and top of my head goes, I normally work toward the back, going against the grain. I have no problems there, as it doesn't seem to be so sensitive even though it's against the grain. Above my ears I go with the grain, and then against, but I still manage to nick myself quite a bit more then I see others doing. I for sure need to work toward more passes, be more patient, but I am sick of never getting a good nick-free shave.. And is it normal afterwards, for your head to burn quite a bit for a short period of time? I always hear people talking about how they apply oil or something afterwards, but I swear if I done that i'd be miserable from the burn. I don't want to stop shaving, I love it, but it gets to the point sometimes where it's not worth the hassle. Maybe I need to try a good oil, and more passes, also being more careful, and re wetting every single time I make another pass.. Any advice?

Offline wvheadshaver

• Sly Guy in Training
Re: New guy here, hoping for advice, been shaving for little less then a year
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2014, 03:48:52 PM »
I realize that sounds a bit stupid, having been shaving for nearly a year and just now asking for help.

If I had a mirror in the shower I would try that.. It seems like, having water already running near you, it'd be a great way to keep the head wet.. Just seems like it would burn pretty good while shaving, especially with 2 or 3 passes.. I never shower after a shave for that reason, burns so bad.

People make it look so easy in the youtube videos, but my head can be a pain at times, especially with my growth directions, which is another reason multiple passes can be frustrating for me. My neck is the same way, which is why I would rather keep a goatee or beard then stay clean shaven in that area... I nick my chin & neck everytime, trying to get a good slick close shave. I don't know if that is called razor burn, sensitive skin, or what, but shaving is definitely not a comfortable, pain free and fun hobby, lol. Any advice whatsoever would be greatly appreciated!

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2014, 04:03:56 PM »
Welcome, W.V.! (one of my favorite places to visit)

No question is a stupid question....First of all, while Barbasol works for some, it's not the best thing to use to shave a head, IMO. That being said, my shaves have become easier when I mix whatever I used to shave with a few drops of Shave Secret pre-shave oil (sold at WalMart for around $4) but a bottle should last about four months if you shave everyday, even longer if you don't. As far as the dry skin, you may want to wash your scalp with some Dove Men's care or some moisturizing shampoo. Down the road, you also may want to start applying your cream with a shave brush to spread your lather evenly and to loosen up your hair for a smoother shave. It's only a start, but with experimenting, you can discover a method that works for you. Good Luck!
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline wvheadshaver

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2014, 04:10:48 PM »
Thanks man I appreciate that, will try that out for my next shave! I definitely would rather use a brush, it just seems like it can be so hard to really work the gel in with my hands. I've always noticed the stuff Walmart has while i'm getting my razors and gel, always hard to pick out what looks like it would work well so I will try and find what you mentioned. You're right about the Barbasol, that stuff made for quite a few rough experiences until I finally realized I needed to try the Gel. What do you personally use as far as razors go? The Gillette Mach 3's work okay with me, but I might try another Fusion Proglide, I can't remember now how I liked those it has been so long. Walmart has a Van Der Hagan razor, not sure what those are called but it's the short handled chrome heavy razor with the actual blades... Would love to try those out but I nick myself enough as it is haha.

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2014, 06:40:48 PM »
I personally use a safety razor. You can find the Micro Touch safety razor for $20 in the "As seen on TV" section of any Walmart or Walgreens for $20. I get good shaves with a single blade. More blades are not necessarily better.

Offline Semi-Sly

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2014, 10:36:59 PM »
I have dry skin too.  My doctor told me to stop using Zest soap and to use Dove Men's care instead. 

Then, after I shower and shave, I put a light coat of Eucerin daily replenishing moisturizer on my skin, even on my scalp.  I only have to do this in the Winter.  In the Summer, my skin produces more of its own oil as I perspire and my scalp does not dry out as badly in the summer.

for shaving my head I too use a light pre-shave oil like Shave Secret.  (Not Baby oil!).  After I apply the oil I use a good shave cream like Proraso from a tube and a shaving brush to work up the lather and spread it evenly.  I don't like shaving "gels" or aerosol shave creams.  They really seem to dry out my scalp, (especially the gels).

Offline wvheadshaver

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2014, 08:41:42 AM »
Thanks for the replies!! Sir Harry, is a safety razor one of those chrome razors with the single razor blade? I would love to try one of those. They seem like they give you a much closer shave and maybe even without having to do 20 different passes, lol. I would just have to be careful starting out, always keep my mind on what i'm doing, and let the razor do the work. I often wonder if certain razors i'm using just don't agree with me, and I still need to keep trying them out until I find one that does.

I need to take better care of my scalp, especially if I want to continue shaving... To be honest, when in the shower, I usually just use whatever kind of shampoo is in the shower ( still live at home with parents ) so I think I need to hit Walmart and start buying some stuff specifically for my problem. I'm starting to think the gel is drying out my skin as well, and it can be hard to get a good lather of it going especially on the back of my head where I can't see. Sometimes it's like the gel makes it tougher to shave, some spots pull and are just rough to get close. I think I need to get out today and invest in some Dove Men's Care, Eucerin, Shave Secret Pre Oil, and some good cream from a tube, and also a brush. If i'm going to shave at my age I need to get out there and try different things until I find a good blend that works better for me. I can't believe I have dealt with rough shaves for this long, lol.

I saw a video the other day, a guy saying the best way to shave and minimize nicks is by using really hot water on your scalp, as hot as you can stand it, and whatever type of cream or gel you prefer. I've never thought of that until I saw the video. I still think my best bet is a pre shave oil, though. Water just seems to soak into my skin so fast and dry it out, I think an oil would work better.

Offline DOC_OSMC

• Bald and Bearded
  • Super Sly
  • Pleasure's a sin, and sometimes sin's a pleasure.
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2014, 09:35:46 AM »
Hey bud, it is a learning process and you'll get there.

I've been shaving my head now for a little over a year and have pretty much found a routine that works.

For the razor, I use a Fusion ProGlide, it gives me the smoothest shave I know.  I started out with a Mach 3, but the Fusion worked much better.  Plus it has that single blade in the back that I use to trim the lines of the top of my sideburns and clean up around the ears.

As for cream, I swear by AVEENO® POSITIVELY SMOOTH® Shave Gel.  I've been using that on my face forever and so I started using it on my head.  It doesn't dry out and lathers very nicely.  There are two types of this, be sure you get the one with the light blue cap.  Sometimes it's found in the women's shaving area.

I also use Shave Secret.  But instead of applying it to my head, I put about 5-7 drops on the Gel before I spread it around my head.  Seems to spread much easier and it definitely does help the blades glide smoother.

After the shave and I've tried off, I use Bump Patrol (can also be found at Walmart and comes in a blue bottle).  That helps with the bumps, especially on the back of the neck.

Finally I'll apply AVEENO® Men's™ After Shave Lotion all over my head.  It gives it a good shine and soothes any irritation.

One thing you should do, since you shave in the shower is that afterwards, make sure to splash cold water on your head.  That will close the pores and will reduce the burn that you might be feeling.  I just turn off the shower, adjust to cold and dunk my head under the facet of the tub.

Good luck to you!
My granddaddy once told me, "If you can't hack it, gecho' jacket!"

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2014, 09:57:39 AM »
WVHS, yes, a safety razor is exactly that. The handles themselves are pretty expensive (the handles themselves are north of $50 on average), but the filler blades are dirt cheap and can be used more than once if you clean them after use and soak the razors in baby oil. Baby oil is good for keeping razors clean, but not necessarily the best thing to use on your scalp directly. If you are just starting, the aforementioned Micro Touch Razor is the best to use if you don't want to (yet) spend a fortune for a DE Safety handle (e.g. Lord, Edwin Jagger, Merkur, etc.) But the good thing about DE razors are is once you buy the handle, you come out cheaper in the long run buying inexpensive filler razors which are indeed reusable. Further, look into getting the shaving brush and some shaving soap which makes a better lather than in the can. It may be a lot of work and money in the beginning, but once you get your technique down, you will be proud of your bald head LOL. Just as DOC_OSMC said in the post before mine, it's a learning process and what may work for one may not necessarily work for the other. Good luck and feel free to PM me if you have any questions off the record!

P.S. Check out the "Safety Razor Shaving Section" led by our own Warhawk and check out what some of us guys do with Safety Razors!

Offline wvheadshaver

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2014, 12:58:25 PM »
Thank you guys very much, I appreciate all the advice! Today was my 3rd day, and I couldn't get out to Walmart at the moment so I figured I would try some good hot water, 2 hands full of "gel" and a few extra passes. Seemed to work out much better with more actual PASSES, not trying to get one spot close at a time, and instead doing that with extra passes. Also made sure to re wet & gel the head with every pass. Worked out much better but I think the key for a good comfortable shave is getting what you all mentioned. Going to look for that stuff as soon as I can get to the store, and will keep you posted as to how it works out!

I will check out those threads, thanks for the tip Sir Harry. This might be the wrong place for this question, but with a safety razor, after a pass or so do you still go against the grain with those, for the close shave? That would really take some practice for me and all my weird contours, maybe I could use a regular razor in certain spots where it might be hard to get one of those. That looks very appealing though, and enjoyable once I got it down pat!