Author Topic: DE safety razor?  (Read 3019 times)

Offline Zeus661

• Learning the way of Sly
DE safety razor?
« on: November 09, 2014, 07:45:20 AM »
Thinking of trying a DE safety razor.  Any brand I should go after?  What experiences have you had?  Thanks

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Re: DE safety razor?
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2014, 09:18:48 AM »
Thinking of trying a DE safety razor.  Any brand I should go after?  What experiences have you had?  Thanks
Hi Zeus:  If you are looking for a modern day DE razor... I always recommend the Edwin Jagger 89L to all new wet shavers.  It is a great razor for any newbie or veteran shaver.  There are many on-line vendors but I usually shop at Bull Goose Shaving because Phil the owner is a true gentleman who provides great service and fast delivery.

http://www.bullgooseshaving.com/edwin-jagger-de-89l-double-edge-safety-razor/

WARHAWK O0
Tough times don't last but tough people do!!!

Offline Goatee

• Bald and Proud to be!
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2014, 11:25:26 AM »
I am now DE free!! LOL. Just sold my last DE and sticking to my Mach 3 as i really do prefer a cartridge shave after trying a few DE's.

If you are looking to purchase your first DE follow warhawks advice. He is an expert with some really sound advice.

Offline gwsmallwood

• Sly
  • AZ Sly Guy
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2014, 12:03:43 PM »
You can't really go wrong with Warhawk's recommendation.  If you're hesitant about the cost since it's a bit of an investment up front for something you aren't sure you'll stick with, then there are some other options. 

If you are comfortable with second hand, then ebay and the buy, sell, and trade forums are a good option.  You can find nice mild superspeeds for about half the price of the DE89.

If you prefer new, then the Feather Popular makes a good, inexpensive starter razor.  That was my gateway drug...

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2014, 10:03:34 AM »
Hi Zeus:  Do you have any updates?  Did you get your DE razor? 

WARHAWK O0
Tough times don't last but tough people do!!!

Offline Triaddad

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2014, 06:02:02 PM »
As Warhawk recommended, the EJ89 is a fine razor.  I recently started shaving my face with a DE razor, and purchased the EJ89.  It is a fine tool!
I just haven't gotten up enough nerve to put the DE on the dome.  I'm still using a headblade to keep the top slick!

Triaddad

Offline Dann

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2014, 12:28:58 AM »
I agree with the consensus that EJ89 is a fine beginner razor. I have a Bluebeard's Revenge Scimitar, which is more or less the same razor with a different cap.
If you're after something with a bit of history behind it, I'd also throw a brass-handle Gillette Ball-end Tech into the mix. I use both of these almost exclusively when shaving DE, and I have found both great to use.

Offline plavd

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2014, 06:35:21 AM »
I am with Goatee. I tried a Merkur last year and it just way too long and didn't perform better than my Mach 3 Turbo. I still use an electric razor for stubble first and then I shave.