Author Topic: After I shave my head  (Read 11022 times)

Offline Xan

• Sly Guy in Training
After I shave my head
« on: October 26, 2006, 06:01:23 AM »
I'm considering shaving my head (regardless of how it looks really) but I do want to reduce the risk of irritation and ingrown hair (it happens sometimes on my face) so I was curious about the ways to go about minimizing the risks of it happening.

I know that I should shave with the grain, not against. But for creams and such, what's the best brand? I was thinking of using baby oil in the shower. Also, afterwards what should I apply to keep my head smooth? (I know these have surely been mentioned in threads but my internet is so damn slow that sometimes the pages don't load completely so I'd rather just have the info all in one place.)
What should I apply way after I shaved to reduce dry scalp and irritation?

Thanks in advance

Xan

Offline PigPen

• Single... and lovin it baby!
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Re: After I shave my head
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2006, 07:30:54 AM »
Xan,
First of all, welcome to the forum. If your connection speed will allow you, check out the product review section. But I can give you a few tips here anyway. Check out www.HeadBlade.com first of all. Many of us on here are avid Bladers and swear by anything they put their name on. The original HeadBlade is great because it puts your hand closer to the scalp and the end result is wonderful. As far as creams and such, I use their HeadSlick...another great product. It's ingredients won't clog the blade like baby oil does. After it's all said and done, use some HeadLube. It'll bring out the shine and it comes in "Glossy" or "Matte" finishes. If you have any other questions feel free to post them.

BBC

Blader for life!
In a bacon and eggs breakfast, the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed. BE THE PIG!!!

Offline Xan

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2006, 08:00:17 AM »
Headblade and everything inside seems to be against shipping to Canada.
Besides, even if I could buy it, it is quite expensive for a university student to have shipped.
Plus, I don't have a credit card. ;)

Offline PigPen

• Single... and lovin it baby!
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2006, 08:02:28 AM »
No stores in Canada that may carry it also I think.

You could also use Mach III or the Quattro and I know there was one fella on here who used hair conditioner in lieu of cream.
In a bacon and eggs breakfast, the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed. BE THE PIG!!!

Offline lostnfound21

• Sly Jr.
    • Myspace Page
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2006, 06:15:35 AM »
Hey! Welcome! For razors, I've been using the Mach 3 for years and I haven't found anything that works better for me. I am about to give the Headblade another shot, though. I'll let everyone know how it works out. For creams, I agree with PigPen. Headslick is amazing and the HeadLube lotion is great too. Since you have problems getting it where you live, I'd go with Gillette shaving gel. The best lotion would be any kind of facial moisturizer (i.e. Nivea). I find that anything else makes my head feel all greasy and stuff. I hate that!

Offline Xan

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2006, 09:08:30 AM »
Thanks a lot everyone. Tomorrow is the day I become Sly hah.

gearhedguy

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2006, 01:14:13 PM »
Go for it Xan. . . shave that puppy! I remember the day that I shaved my head very clearly (surprising the vodka that I was drinking at the time didn't numb my memory all that mush - oops, I mean much  ;D). I was nervous at first, but with every stroke a new me was being revealed. I was all finished, took a look in the mirror, and I thought "EEK!!" Put a huge grin on my face. It was as if I was looking in the mirror at a total stranger. But I found myself taking more and more peeks throughout that night and the next day. Within about a week I was also sporting a goatee (never had facial hair before that). The transformation was really cool!!! That was about 10 years ago and I've never looked back. . . wouldn't even want hair again if I could have it. We'll all be anxious to hear your results.

Offline Xan

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2006, 01:48:59 PM »
I'll urge you all to go take a look at my thread in the To be or Not to Be...Bald section and give me your opinions there.
Thanks much for the info, guys. I appreciate it.

Offline awkm4

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2006, 09:10:28 PM »
Headblade and everything inside seems to be against shipping to Canada.
Besides, even if I could buy it, it is quite expensive for a university student to have shipped.
Plus, I don't have a credit card. ;)

I just joined this forum and I'm really impressed with the amount of useful information here.
Anyway I'm Canadian and today I bought a HeadBlade along with the shaving cream and headlube from Shoppers Drugmart. I believe those stores are located nationwide.

I normally shave my head twice a week with a Mach III and I'm looking forward to giving this new product a try.

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2006, 11:24:38 PM »
awkm4, welcome to Sly Bald Guys!!  You picked up a great product in the Headblade.

If anyone else needs it shipped to Canada, try buying it from the Sly Bald Guys' store.  I'm pretty sure you can get the headblade shipped to Canada.
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline Vash

• Be Kind For Everyone You Meet Is Fighting A Hard Battle
  • Super Sly
  • Bald, Bearded, Tattooed, Awesome!
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2006, 01:14:10 AM »
Headblade also cut a deal with Wal-Mart not long ago making their razors and headcare products available on the shelf. Not that I am a proponant of Wal-Mart by any stretch of the imagination. But What with Wal-Mart being the cancer that it is, I figure if the "Wal-Mart" stores aren't in Canada, they probably own somethign similar there, the way they do with ASDA in the UK.

Dunno if thats helpful or not. I'd honestly go directly through the HB website. From talking to Mac, I'm pretty sure they'll ship globally.

(() Vash
~Vash

FB: Vashon Bench
Twitter: @gingerbeardpdx
Instagram: @gingerbeardpdx

Offline PBurke

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2006, 02:26:48 PM »
i finally found the matte finish lotion from hb. will let you know tomorrow if i like it. podunk little town is about 20 yrs behind the rest of the world. later!

Treat people with respect, or just ignore them!

Offline frostillicus123

• Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Forgot to Shave this morning
    • My Twitter Explict Language
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2007, 05:16:56 PM »
I am Canadian, you can buy from headblade, I've had 3 shipments from the company, just make sure to purchase enough to warrent the shipping charge, it's the only part of ordering I don't like. As for stores, Shoppers drugmart sells, Headblade Classic, Head Slick, and Head Lube Matte.
<a href="http://www.imagechef.com/" target="_blank"> [img width= height= alt=ImageChef.com - Custom comment codes for MySpace, Hi5, Friendster and more]http://cdnll.img1.imagechef.com/w/071111/samp9a1d5d13c394b3da.jpg[/img] [/url]

Offline awkm4

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2014, 08:11:10 AM »
Thank you. Ordering from the company directly is an option but I like to avoid shipping charges where possible. I would have to order a lot of items to make it worthwhile.  It's been a couple of years since I've seen Headblade products in Shoppers Drug Mart.

Offline Fondlheine

• Sly Jr.
  • Lost in the wreckage...
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2014, 04:34:26 PM »
A great Canadian reseller is Italian Barber http://www.italianbarber.com/, I buy a lot of stuff from Joe - he's a great guy to do business with.  I don't know if he has anything from Headblade - but he sure does have everything else....

Enter your email address: