Author Topic: Shaving foam,soap or something else?  (Read 6293 times)

Offline Bluebriz

• Ultimate Sly Guy
Re: Shaving foam,soap or something else?
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2012, 01:01:08 AM »
I'm not sure money is the issue though. Quality shaving soaps are available for around the same price as canned goop but will last much longer!

Offline wonderer

• Super Sly
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2012, 01:32:07 AM »
Blue-
It is not just the money issue but i live in a small town and sometimes i just buy what is available in the local store , but it is well almost always :) good to try something new (especially since i suffer from skin allergies or dermatitis or both  @c3 i don't really know :  (  )

Andrei

« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2012, 08:40:33 AM »
To be honest, I spend my money on shaving gel. I find it better then foam or shaving cream.
But I'm still a noob into head shaving, maybe with time and trying more products I will get pickier.

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2012, 11:19:15 AM »
To be honest, I spend my money on shaving gel. I find it better then foam or shaving cream.
But I'm still a noob into head shaving, maybe with time and trying more products I will get pickier.

That's pretty much the way it went for me....Once I joined this forum, I learned that there's always a way to improve what you have or what you're using.
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline xabydaddy

• Sly
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2012, 01:04:12 PM »
I recently started using shave soap and I'm liking the results so far. I need a better quality brush though because the one I have tends to shed pretty badly...

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2012, 03:13:53 PM »
While I'm not a HB user, I am a Headslick addict--greatest invention I've found.  I wet my brush with hot water put about half a teaspoon or so in the brush, add a small, <1/4 teaspoon of glycerin, and then whip up a later right on the old melon.  The glycerin, it turns out, is a by product of soap making and adding some extra back provides emollient, skin loving and gentle properties to the resulting lather.  The brush holds enough for my second pass to totally scrape the grape to a baby butt finish &, needless to say, a great start for the day.  I just bought some today--on sale, under $7  for 8 fl. oz.  It lasts a really long time--I'm going to date the bottle to see how long it lasts. 

Offline ProphetNoir

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2012, 08:58:17 PM »
A brush and a good cream or soap is the only way I will shave my face and head. 
No matter what the soap costs - and some of them can get very pricey - they will always be cheaper per shave than canned stuff.
I think they outperform as well as outlast.  You can also choose based on chemical content and have a good idea of just what you are smearing on your skin before putting a razor to it.

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2012, 08:35:30 AM »
I am a can user and love it have not spent the money on anything else besides bg shave gel at one time that com in a tube
Hi Antonim and to others who haven't tried a quality brush and shave soap:   Speaking from a person who use to buy the canned stuff... matter of fact I thought the Edge Shaving Gel was the best in the world.  I think it is great that you love the canned stuff but I can almost guarantee U one thing that if you purchase a quality brush and quality soap you will bring your shave routine to a different level.

Using a quality shaving brush and quality shave soap,  is like going from a Donald Trump comb-over to a super bad azz super slick sly dome of a Michael Jordan,  Bruce Willis,  Vin Diesel,  Tyler (founder & CEO of SBGs),  MikeKoz13, Schro, BlueBriz, Waine, Npsbg, SirHappy, Tom Gallaghar, , Kelley Slater, Razorx, R o b 6, Baldrob, RoWilJr, PaultheBald, Kevin Garnett, Arnie,  Bucksfan,  Stevie Hood, D o u g, SlyinKC,  Charles Barkley, Samuel L. Jackson, SlyFive, Patrick Stewart, SlyBear, Howie Mandel,  Andre Agassi, MrZed, Todd Greene (owner and founder of HB), PBurke, Stone Cold Steve Austin, SimplyRed, xNewyawka, Marty22,  Shaquille O'Neal, FrontierGuy, BBCMark, NateDawg, Beardman, TyMoore, Moby, SaintC,  Magic Johnson, IllionoisBaldy, Stasui, Marshd1000, Ray Allen, Chauncey Billups,  Kevin Youklis, and he was before my time... but probably the 1st celebrity that epitomizes all bad-azz chrome domes was  Yul Brenner.

Again... I cannot say enough on how a quality brush and quality shave soap  can upgrade your shave routine.  That was one example on my strong feelings.  I just wanted to share the knowledge because I want others to know and also upgrade their routine.  And for some reason....if  a quality brush and quality shave soap does not work for you (which is highly unlikely).  At least you can say that you tried.  Wow... I have talked too much. ;D   Here's to always trying to improve. O0

WARHAWK O0
« Last Edit: August 02, 2012, 08:38:26 AM by warhawk »
Tough times don't last but tough people do!!!

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sure you can rub it... all the girls want to...
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2012, 09:24:35 AM »
I am a can user and love it have not spent the money on anything else besides bg shave gel at one time that com in a tube
Hi Antonim and to others who haven't tried a quality brush and shave soap:   Speaking from a person who use to buy the canned stuff... matter of fact I thought the Edge Shaving Gel was the best in the world.  I think it is great that you love the canned stuff but I can almost guarantee U one thing that if you purchase a quality brush and quality soap you will bring your shave routine to a different level.

Using a quality shaving brush and quality shave soap,  is like going from a Donald Trump comb-over to a super bad azz super slick sly dome of a Michael Jordan,  Bruce Willis,  Vin Diesel,  Tyler (founder & CEO of SBGs),  MikeKoz13, Schro, BlueBriz, Waine, Npsbg, SirHappy, Tom Gallaghar, , Kelley Slater, Razorx, R o b 6, Baldrob, RoWilJr, PaultheBald, Kevin Garnett, Arnie,  Bucksfan,  Stevie Hood, D o u g, SlyinKC,  Charles Barkley, Samuel L. Jackson, SlyFive, Patrick Stewart, SlyBear, Howie Mandel,  Andre Agassi, MrZed, Todd Greene (owner and founder of HB), PBurke, Stone Cold Steve Austin, SimplyRed, xNewyawka, Marty22,  Shaquille O'Neal, FrontierGuy, BBCMark, NateDawg, Beardman, TyMoore, Moby, SaintC,  Magic Johnson, IllionoisBaldy, Stasui, Marshd1000, Ray Allen, Chauncey Billups,  Kevin Youklis, and he was before my time... but probably the 1st celebrity that epitomizes all bad-azz chrome domes was  Yul Brenner.

Again... I cannot say enough on how a quality brush and quality shave soap  can upgrade your shave routine.  That was one example on my strong feelings.  I just wanted to share the knowledge because I want others to know and also upgrade their routine.  And for some reason....if  a quality brush and quality shave soap does not work for you (which is highly unlikely).  At least you can say that you tried.  Wow... I have talked too much. ;D   Here's to always trying to improve. O0

WARHAWK O0

And our modest Friend forgot to include one extremely cool SLY guy............ WARHAWK himself!!!
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" W.C. Fields

Offline Ming the Merciless

• Super Sly
  • No More "Mr. Nice Guy"
« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2012, 11:36:52 AM »
Oh, please.

I'm afraid Ming feels that discussions of what's the best thing to soften and lubricate the dome are like discussions of what's the best gasoline to use, the best screwdriver to buy.  Microscopic differences, which fanboy users will magnify to macro.

Yes, yes, your foam/cream/gel/soap is clearly the superior potion, and you spit on the alternatives.

I know, "anecdotes are not data," but I also know, "don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good." 

Ming's POV (spit at will): cheap foam in cans works OK; single-blade razors (recall, Ming favors an antique) work OK.  Ming, with no difficulty, makes the dome slick with Barbasol (bargain foam) and an ancient Schick injector razor.

But, Ming is perhaps not long for the world, and will take his antediluvian opinions to the grave.  But until then...

Offline Natedawg

• Misanthropic Humanist
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2012, 11:59:26 AM »
^^Took me a second to figure out who 'Ming" was...

"Jimmy's gonna get you, Kramer! Hands off Jimmy! DON'T TOUCH JIMMY!"  :*))
"Change will happen whether we are still or moving." - TTWS

• Super Sly
  • No More "Mr. Nice Guy"
« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2012, 12:06:01 PM »
And just who am I, if not myself? (Well, "Ming" here; a craven worm in real life).

Offline Natedawg

• Misanthropic Humanist
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2012, 12:35:05 PM »
And just who am I, if not myself? (Well, "Ming" here; a craven worm in real life).

Of course you are yourself. It just took me a second to figure out your third person perspective. I was looking throughout the rest of the thread to see who 'Ming" was. That's on me.  ;D
"Change will happen whether we are still or moving." - TTWS

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #28 on: August 02, 2012, 12:50:40 PM »
But, Ming is perhaps not long for the world, and will take his antediluvian opinions to the grave.  But until then...
Whoa there--keep a copy of your Dylan Thomas at the ready when you start on that line of thought.  Remember the fun Samuel Clemens had responding to the reporter who asked him how it felt to be 93, I believe it was, "Not bad considering the alternative!" 

• Super Sly
  • No More "Mr. Nice Guy"
« Reply #29 on: August 02, 2012, 01:18:51 PM »
Whoa there--keep a copy of your Dylan Thomas at the ready when you start on that line of thought.  Remember the fun Samuel Clemens had responding to the reporter who asked him how it felt to be 93, I believe it was, "Not bad considering the alternative!" 

"Soixante-treize," peut-ĂȘtre?

I refrain from his comment on his supposed death...