Author Topic: Shaving foam,soap or something else?  (Read 6328 times)

Offline wonderer

• Super Sly
Shaving foam,soap or something else?
« on: July 31, 2012, 12:31:11 AM »
What do you guys use for head shaving I use shaving foam?!

Offline Bluebriz

• Ultimate Sly Guy
Re: Re: Shaving foam,soap or something else?
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2012, 01:03:43 AM »
Ideally I like to use a quality shaving soap - proraso,  cella , MWF or a quality cream.   If I'm in a rush I'll use head slick,  but personally speaking,  I find it to be not of great quality,  comparatively speaking.

Offline wonderer

• Super Sly
Re: Shaving foam,soap or something else?
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2012, 01:43:21 AM »
Every day i am reading about various shaving soap ,after shave creams and special blades -personally I am not that complicated i use shaving gel (gillette or whatever ) and simple disposable blade ,not so long ago I saw on TV that soap(maybe regular i don't know ) will cause corrosion on the blades ...i don't know guys so  i am asking you -is it true !?(I appreciate every input !)

Offline Bluebriz

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2012, 01:50:49 AM »
You don't have to make things complicated.  If what you've got works for you then that's fine! 

None of my soaps appear to cause any of my blades to corrode though, no.   Although I guess carbon steel blades would rust if not dried off after use.

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sure you can rub it... all the girls want to...
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2012, 05:06:16 AM »
I'm new to the world of GOOD quality shave soaps. The difference between these soaps and commercial shave gels and foams is remarkable.

NEVER AGAIN!!................. will I use commercial canned products for shaving.
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" W.C. Fields

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2012, 06:13:57 AM »
Quote from: Mikekoz13 link=topic=17651.msg273386#msg273386 date=1343732776

NEVER AGAIN!!................. will I use commercial canned products for shaving.
[/quote

I will put canned shaving products in the category "Emergency Use Only". Kind of like the spare tire that comes with your car.
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline waine

• just waine
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Proudly Sly since 30 April 2012.
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2012, 07:44:41 AM »
Wonderer

Although it is good to keep it simple, I believe it is also gratifying to get the best shave possible within your budget with a product you personally enjoy.

Do yourself a favor, try shaving soap or crème, applied with a shaving brush.  It is incomparable to the canned shaving goo in a pressurized can.

I agree Mike, I will NEVER go back to shaving foam in a can as far as I can help it.  The whole "Wet" shaving thing is too awesome!
"Three things you cannot escape; tax, death and dirt..."

Offline wonderer

• Super Sly
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2012, 08:09:52 AM »
I will try the soap ,especially since i have those damn allergies that constantly torture me - honestly i have never been allergic to anything and since last year I  am allergic basically on everything  @c3  strange

Offline tomcj2

• Sly
    • CanbyWeather
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2012, 08:30:48 AM »
I have not used canned soap for decades, but when I went SLY  a few weeks ago I bought a can of Gillette Fusion HydraGel to try ;  what a waste of money.  (Thankfully I only bought a tiny 70g can).  I normally just use bath soap for my face, but I will start re-using my mug and brush.  I have used the leftover scraps of hand soap in my mug when I have run out of regular shaving soap with good results; a glycerin soap is best.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2012, 08:32:28 AM by tomcj2 »

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sure you can rub it... all the girls want to...
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2012, 09:58:20 AM »
I have not used canned soap for decades, but when I went SLY  a few weeks ago I bought a can of Gillette Fusion HydraGel to try ;  what a waste of money.  (Thankfully I only bought a tiny 70g can).  I normally just use bath soap for my face, but I will start re-using my mug and brush.  I have used the leftover scraps of hand soap in my mug when I have run out of regular shaving soap with good results; a glycerin soap is best.

You really should leave those soap scraps for the trash can and try a good quality shave soap. Don't be put off by the price... they last a LONG time.
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" W.C. Fields

Offline wonderer

• Super Sly
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2012, 10:22:07 AM »
Normal hand wash soap should not be used for shaving (especially if you don't throw away blade after one use) he does cause corrosion -  I saw that on one TV show( Galileo ) you don't wanna risk there is no need for that ...

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2012, 11:55:14 AM »
I'm new to the world of GOOD quality shave soaps. The difference between these soaps and commercial shave gels and foams is remarkable.

Mike... I am so with U on that one.  I have thrown away all my canned goo.  Once you experience a good quality soap or cream... you do not want to go back to any canned goo.

WARHAWK O0
Tough times don't last but tough people do!!!

Offline antoniom

• Sly
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2012, 07:22:55 PM »
I am a can user and love it have not spent the money on anything else besides bg shave gel at one time that com in a tube

Offline Paul the Headblader

• Sly Bureau
  • They see me rollin' they hatin'
    • My facebook page :)
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2012, 10:11:16 PM »
I'd suggest you all to use shaving gel. got the best experience using it.
be who you are, say what you feel, because those who matter don't mind, and those who mind don't matter

Offline wonderer

• Super Sly
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2012, 11:01:48 PM »
Paul -currently I also use shaving gel ,but it is all individual -so one more vote for common shaving gel guess we "younger"(you are younger than  I am old man 27 yrs old  ??? time flies ) guys are less "picky "  ;) and guess we also have less money in our  budget to really pamper our self  ;D