Author Topic: closer shave.  (Read 4824 times)

wingnut

closer shave.
« on: November 24, 2010, 01:47:42 AM »
Hi, i am shaving my head every morning after a shower to get my head nice and wet then i apply palmolive shave
foam with a shaving brush. I use a mach 3 razor using short strokes against the grain, i finish off by washing my head with cold water and then use nivea post shave balm.
I take my time but as hard as i try i just cant seem to get my head totally smooth i can always feel a liitle bit of stubble. Am i doing anything wrong or is it just down to lack of experience.
My other problem is my head looks really dull, i want it to really shine and stand out, are there any products out
there that will make it shine, my boy friend suggested baby lotion do you think this will work.

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
Re: closer shave.
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2010, 05:27:35 AM »
A couple of things might help, first--if possible--wait for about 30-45 minutes from the time you get up until you scrape the grape.  Sounds strange but it really has a noticeable effect.  Second, get some Shave Secret at Wal-Mart and wipe down the scalp before putting on the shave cream.  In addition, try Headslick for shave creme--really great stuff. Some people, including me, even do a second pass with the leftover product in the shave brush.  And of course skill in shaving the scalp is very much like the directions given to the tourist in New York City to get to Carnegie Hall, "Practice, practice, practice!"

Offline ozzie

• Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2010, 12:19:21 PM »
Saint's suggestions will help enormously, wingnut. Here are a couple more ideas that will help get your dome in the primo condition you want it to be.

1. UNLEASH YOUR INNER ROCKER
You remember seeing how the old-time rockers used to comb their hair? Running their greasy comb through their locks AND FOLLOWING THE COMB STROKES WITH THEIR OTHER HAND. Apply the same approach to your shaving technique. As you glide the razor cross your scalp, run your other hand (the one not holding the razor) across your scalp immediately following the razor. You'll feel the spots that need a bit of extra attention immediately the blade has passed, making a followup pass of the blade practically a subconscious response. You'll be s-m-o-o-t-h in no time. 

2. OZZIE'S SUPER SECRET SHINE
OK. Here it is. Revealed for the very first time. If you REALLY want to make that dome glow like a New Moon, try this:
Coppertone Ultra Sweatproof Sport Sunsceen (50 spf). Yup. That'll do it. You'll be sporting the most immaculate shine you ever dreamed of. Women will swoon and men will grit their teeth in envy. Plus you'll have the added benefit of some major UVA/UVB protection. This stuff goes on fairly innocently, looking pretty dry, but as it reacts with the warmth of your skin will produce a sheen you can be proud of.

8)
To conquer fear is the beginning of wisdom – Bertrand Russell

Offline RyanJP

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2010, 01:13:53 PM »
What Saint and Ozzy say as well as my advice, get a workout in or go for a run before you take a shower in the morning and if it means getting up an hour or so earlier than it's worth it IMO and the reason behind is you get some good blood flow going through the body, the head and especially the dermis which will give an easier shave. This is from my own personal experimentation but I get the best shaves after I PT/hit the weights.

Offline Sgt. Pate

• Sly Bureau
  • ~ Semper Fi ~ Sly Till I Die! ~
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2010, 05:54:17 PM »
I LOVE an absolutely smooth pate but it comes with an occasional cost for me.  Obsessing over a tiny bit of roughness will invariably lead to a cut or at the very least excessive redness.  I've learned two things about this... one, what I obsess over nobody can even see and two, in a few hours I'll have a lot of roughness as my hair grows anyway.

So, the lesson I'm trying to learn is when to stop and let good be enough!  O0

"Never pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you." - Clint Smith

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2010, 08:05:13 PM »
RyanJP tells the best way to delay, get in a workout--really you'll have a bone smooth dome for 6+ hours.

Offline 120inna55

• Ultimate Sly Guy
    • 120inna55
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2011, 08:50:19 PM »
...Obsessing over a tiny bit of roughness will invariably lead to a cut or at the very least excessive redness.  I've learned two things about this... one, what I obsess over nobody can even see and two, in a few hours I'll have a lot of roughness as my hair grows anyway.
Thank you for this excellent advice.  This philosophy, alone, has made a world of difference for me over the past few days.  You really helped me immensely.

Offline jordan12

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2011, 01:36:42 PM »
I LOVE an absolutely smooth pate but it comes with an occasional cost for me.  Obsessing over a tiny bit of roughness will invariably lead to a cut or at the very least excessive redness.  I've learned two things about this... one, what I obsess over nobody can even see and two, in a few hours I'll have a lot of roughness as my hair grows anyway.

So, the lesson I'm trying to learn is when to stop and let good be enough!  O0

Man, if someone would have told me this when I started shaving my head, I would have had a lot of less cuts from the get go...I just always like the smooth feeling skin on my head when freshly shaved. It is Awesome...

Slynito

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2011, 08:35:02 PM »
Thanx for all the good advice...works for me!

Offline WallsBledLust

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2011, 08:02:24 PM »
When I first started shaving my head, I would shave it, and it would feel smooth in the shower, but ten minutes out of the shower, I could feel a few stubbly spots.  I'd go in the bathroom, run some hot water, and shave over them.

After a week of this, I got over it, and just try to pay more attention to those "problem areas" while I'm shaving.  Unless you actively expect someone to rub your head, the tiniest bit of stubble is unnoticeable to everyone except you.

Offline 120inna55

• Ultimate Sly Guy
    • 120inna55
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2011, 08:16:43 PM »
...first--if possible--wait for about 30-45 minutes from the time you get up until you scrape the grape...

Excellent advice.  I've only been shaving my head for a month.  And for the past week or so, it's been daily.  Today, I did not have to be anywhere at any particular time.  So instead of showering and shaving upon awakening at 0500, I waited until around 1000.  The shave was good as usual, but I noticed the slick lasted much much longer.  I mean hours longer.  

I wonder if, physiologically, there's some undetectable swelling that goes down as the morning progresses. If that's the case, it would stand to reason that more hair is exposed after the swelling has gone down.  I know my wedding band goes on and comes off easier later in the morning.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2011, 08:18:51 PM by 120inna55 »

Slynito

« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2011, 10:03:12 PM »

2. OZZIE'S SUPER SECRET SHINE
OK. Here it is. Revealed for the very first time. If you REALLY want to make that dome glow like a New Moon, try this:
Coppertone Ultra Sweatproof Sport Sunsceen (50 spf). Yup. That'll do it. You'll be sporting the most immaculate shine you ever dreamed of. Women will swoon and men will grit their teeth in envy. Plus you'll have the added benefit of some major UVA/UVB protection. This stuff goes on fairly innocently, looking pretty dry, but as it reacts with the warmth of your skin will produce a sheen you can be proud of.

8)

Hey Ozzie, yesterday after shaving I applied the SPF 30 and you are so right...my gourd looked like it had been spit shined. Great trick, thanx!

O0 O0 O0

Offline emolient

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2011, 02:21:43 AM »
There is a basic principle of facial shaving that might be worth trying. In that context it is quite common to make multiple passes with the blade, each in a single direction. The beard is reduced on each, but both conceptually and practically there is no attempt at eliminating it in a single stroke. Shaving against the grain is often seen as a major source of skin irritation and the first pass is never made in that direction. There is a range of opinions otherwise but a typical procedure is to start with the grain (WTG), then go across it (XTG), and finally if you're really sure of yourself, going against it (ATG). The face is relathered, and sometimes also rinsed, between passes.

The differences between head and facial hair eliminate need for the ATG caveat. If, however, a single pass in that direction doesn't give satisfactory results, a two-pass approach is certainly worth trying. The obvious thing to try would be WTG, relather, and then ATG. If there are any stubbly patches left, XTG should do the trick, although you will probably need to experiment a bit to find the best angle. This will likely be the same for each rough spot you regularly notice, but may differ among them.

Offline baldjoeg

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
  • Newport Beach, CA. A great place to be in March.
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2011, 08:16:39 PM »
Great advise St. C.

Ozzie,  Thanks for the tip.I like a good shine on my noggin like You do.

Offline baldjoeg

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
  • Newport Beach, CA. A great place to be in March.
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2011, 08:20:25 PM »
Shave secret is great stuff. I alternate between using this and headblade slick.

Enter your email address: