Author Topic: Deciding on a decent razor...  (Read 2231 times)

Offline Xanwolf1337

• Sly Jr.
Deciding on a decent razor...
« on: April 23, 2010, 04:10:16 PM »
Hey guys,

Just wondering what would be a good razor for me to use, i'm currently just using cheap double bladed disposable ones, however i was wondering are single bladed or the multi-blade ones better for shaving my head?

The current ones are ok, but are pretty useless after one shave and also they tend to slip out of my hand when they get wet.

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sure you can rub it... all the girls want to...
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Re: Deciding on a decent razor...
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2010, 04:35:03 PM »
I'm a HeadBlade user and I use triple blades in it. If you prefer a razor with the more traditionasl handle, I recommend the M5.... available at Wally World.
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" W.C. Fields

Offline Gambrinus

• Bluegrass Bald Guy
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • HBG
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2010, 06:48:47 PM »
I personally don't care for anything with more than three blades.  It's all about personal preferences.  I know people that use straight razors and I know people that swear by bazillion bladed Gillette razors.  My preferences change with the wind.  Next week I'll bee using an open-comb double edge safety razor.  Last week I was on a headblade w/Atra II  kick.  Experiment, it's half the fun.  O:O

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2010, 07:14:09 PM »
Definately might think about moving away from disposables--had a really bad experience after the airline lost my luggage and thought I'd use one--half, really not even half way through, dry off, dress up, and went out and couldn't find the M5, so bought yet another Fusion, manual, and went back and started again.  Really there's only so much room in the drawer, but there is no room at any time in my drawer for disposables--I hope I wasn't too direct in my response. >:D  Oh, for me at least HB means Slick--love it--the blade, never again. 

Offline omegapd

• Sly
  • "Fuzzy"
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2010, 01:04:20 AM »
Yep, gotta experiment. You may get too much irritation from the triple + blades or find that the single edge blade won't cut smooth enough, etc.

I've been using a Fusion and like it well enough, but for the past few days I've used a Double Edge Merkur Slant and seem to get just as good a shave and the price of blades are much cheaper. I think once the Fusion and M5 blades I have are used up, I'll stick with the DE razors for both face and head...

- Eric W-

Offline Xanwolf1337

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2010, 05:01:54 PM »
Cheers guys. I think i'll do like most of you said and try a few different ones O0, these disposable ones ive got seem to cut smooth, but if i go over one spot more than once they really irritate it and i also cut myself earlier on :-\.

Offline baldtribesman

• Sly Jr.
  • R O C K in the USA rockin in the USA
Re: Deciding on a decent razor... Fred's Picks
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2010, 05:13:46 PM »
Here are my picks not neccesarily in the order of best to worst

Gillete Fusion Pro-Gilide --- this is the next generation of Fusion razor cartridges, they are currently only available at The Art of Shaving, for 40 bucks you get 8 cartridges and A of Shaving starter kit.

Schick Hydro - just came out I enjoyed shaving with it but I prefer the ergonomics of the fusion handle rather then the handle of the Hydro.

Headblade Sport with triple blades -- I like using this cool gadget however sadly I can not use this as my sole shaving instrument because I want to shave against the grain and I do not see how this is possible going from the ear area up to the vertex of my head, which is the direction I need to go to get an against the grain and close shave on the sides of my head.

Best disposable I used on a trip was the bic triple flexable.  Obviously leaves a lot to be desired but for shaving in a pinch its actually not bad.

hope this helps!

Fred Man

Offline Gambrinus

• Bluegrass Bald Guy
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • HBG
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2010, 09:02:52 PM »
Cheers guys. I think i'll do like most of you said and try a few different ones O0, these disposable ones ive got seem to cut smooth, but if i go over one spot more than once they really irritate it and i also cut myself earlier on :-\.

I have heard on one of the shave forums that disposable blades are of a lower quality than cartridge blades to keep the cost of them affordable.  How true this is, I don't know.  But I refuse to use them.  If I were stuck with one cartridge razor, I would pick the Mach 3.  It takes me less passes to get a smooth shave.  With that being said,  You can have the best razor in the world and it means NOTHING,  without the right prep.  How you prepare your head for shaving is ten times more important than what you use to shave it with, IMHO.  I guarantee, that I get a better shave with my headblade and $3 for 10 personna cartridges than most people do with bazillion dollar Fusion Hydro Flavor of the Month Razors.  Simply because I have found the proper prep for my hair.

Offline Xanwolf1337

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2010, 04:13:05 PM »
Im glad you mentioned that tribesman, as since i went sly a couple of days ago i have been going against the grain as it feels alot smoother once i have finished :)

Offline sellitman

• "Shiny"
  • Sly
  • Love My Henson Ti-22 Safety Razor!!!
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2010, 03:37:39 PM »
I switched to the Schick Hydro 5 recently and  :@`  the shave. The handle isn't optimal but I have gotten use to it. The wet lotion that comes from a reservoir in the head has completely stopped the irritation I got on the back of my head where the remaining hair is the thickest.

"There is naught nor ought there be nothing so exalted on the face of God’s grey Earth as that prince of foods... the muffin!"- Frank Zappa

Offline Gambrinus

• Bluegrass Bald Guy
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • HBG
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2010, 08:17:59 PM »
I have heard on one of the shave forums that disposable blades are of a lower quality than cartridge blades to keep the cost of them affordable.  How true this is, I don't know.  But I refuse to use them.

Well I went against my own best judgment and bought some Sensor 3 disposables.  I took the cartridge off and used it on my Headblade.   I don't think I will ever use a different cartridge on the Headblade blade.  It has a cover for the cartridge to protect it.  I have shaved six times with the same one so we know that was a myth.  I think I gave 5 bucks for 4 of them.  Now I have to figure out how to put the handle to use.  :px

Enter your email address: