Author Topic: Irritation/bumps  (Read 6064 times)

Offline Xan_Kriegor

• Learning the way of Sly
Irritation/bumps
« on: March 09, 2010, 01:56:16 PM »
I been lurking for a while, just joined today
I been shaving my head for about 5 days now, and each time I get a redness (and sometimes a little itchy) around the back of head and neck, and some tiny bumps here and there around my dome, I'm wondering if there is any special kind of lotion that can get rid of this, or does anyone know if it will just go away after my head gets more used to shaving?
Any help/tips much appreciated :D

thanks  O:O

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
Re: Irritation/bumps
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2010, 02:14:58 PM »
Welcome, glad to see you're sly w/ us.  This is a pretty common early on response.  Do you use any astringent, witch hazel, hydrogen peroxide after shaving?  Have you tried an anti-acne soap--something mild, such as Cuticura?  Do you change your pillowcase regularly?  Look up in Shaving your head and care for the dome subjects, lots of suggestions there.

Offline -Doug-

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
  • Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.
    • Gabe's Shirt Goes To..
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2010, 02:58:40 PM »
Welcome! Like saintc said, which hazel is a good way to combat the bumps and irritation. I used it years ago when I first shaved my head and use it now that I have started back up again. Best of luck find a remedy!
Life has three aspects: Paradox, Humor, and Change.

Paradox: Life is a mystery; don't waste time figuring it out.
Humor: Keep a sense of humor, especially about yourself. It is a strength beyond all measure
Change: Know that nothing stays the same.

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2010, 12:51:20 AM »
First off, welcome to SBG!

Second, what are you using to shave your head right now?  It sounds like you are having too much friction, which either means too much pressure, old blades, or a crappy shave cream.
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline pdxtodd

• Super Sly
  • Sly since 12/4/2009
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2010, 07:07:29 AM »
You may need to try a different shave cream/gel.   I started out with Head Lube.  When that ran out I switched to Bald Guyz shaving gel and immediately began to break out and have bumps.   I went back to Head Lube and don't have the problem anymore.   Everybody's body chemistry is different so try something else to see if that clears it up.

Agree with Saint -- change your pillowcase often.   Now that its your skin against the pillow - its critical to keep it clean.   Also agree with the witch hazel.  When I was dealing with my bumps and breakouts it cleared it all up within a few days.

Keep it up!  It just takes adjustment and finding the right thing.

Offline cincydavid

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2010, 07:32:06 PM »
nm
« Last Edit: October 14, 2014, 09:28:10 PM by cincydavid »

Offline Xan_Kriegor

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2010, 09:08:42 AM »
I have began changing my pillow case often and using alcohol free witch hazel for about 4 days now, I still get those small red bumps but the irritation in the back of my head has gone down some.  I think next I will try that cuticura soap.  I guess if still problems I will have to try different shaving cream (I use the headslick mentholated shave cream)
thanks for all the advice!

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2010, 09:47:04 AM »
  I guess if still problems I will have to try different shaving cream (I use the headslick mentholated shave cream)
Although it's my choice, at least one member, the venerable Razor X, has found he's allergic to Headslick--you might want to try another brand. 

Offline Alexander215

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2010, 06:57:34 PM »
I been lurking for a while, just joined today
I been shaving my head for about 5 days now, and each time I get a redness (and sometimes a little itchy) around the back of head and neck, and some tiny bumps here and there around my dome, I'm wondering if there is any special kind of lotion that can get rid of this, or does anyone know if it will just go away after my head gets more used to shaving?
Any help/tips much appreciated :D

thanks  O:O

Those specks Booth & Bruce?

Offline Eric@HeadBlade

• HeadBlading since '05
  • Sly Jr.
  • Marketing Manager, HeadBlade
    • HeadBlade
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2010, 06:58:28 PM »
Have you tried ClearHead?  I honestly never used it prior to working at HeadBlade, but now I swear by it.  I never had issues with bumps too bad, but my old roommate had really bad irritation.  He used to use witch hazel which seemed to help irritation, but he still had bumps.

I think some of it will also go away after your skin gets used to shaving in a new place.  Good luck!

Offline RyanJP

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2010, 07:04:53 PM »
Clearhead is good stuff and I use it all the time  O0

Offline Xan_Kriegor

« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2010, 10:11:14 PM »
Anyone know where I can find Clearhead (besides ordering online which I may do as last resort  :/O)
I've tried wal-mart, grocery stores (shaws, hannafords) Rite Aid, bed bath +beyond and so far no luck.
Also haven't found any cuticura at any stores around.  Any tips would be much appreciated otherwise I guess I'll have to just order them bitches online l :x!
« Last Edit: March 18, 2010, 10:19:31 PM by Xan_Kriegor »

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2010, 07:12:55 AM »
I don't know about Clearhead, but Cuticura should be available at any well stocked drugstore or pharmacy in the acne soap section.  It's very mild but does contain anti-bacterial ingredients. 

Offline mangosink12572

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • Wonderful SHINY BALD
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2010, 12:25:51 PM »
In the last five   months  - -I have tried just about everything that was recommended and finally found products that work      - - -different gels and creams work differently on each individual  - - -I have had a great time trying all the different products  - -and you must experiment also to find the best products for you  - - -- - -  now I am  using Headblade shave cream and Head Lube  -glossy  - I do use Aveeno from time to time  - -good for extra sensitive skin - - - -- - - - - - - - - -and the razor - - -  -I am back to my Schick Xtreme 3 -compfort plus - - -
It all seems to be working right now  -  but summer is on its way and things could change and I expect a change with hot and humid weather - - -
I still get irritation in spots but not very often  and no more bumps 

It is all a wonderful experience and well worth it  - I love my slick melon  - there is no other way to go

Good Luck - -Richard 

Offline Xan_Kriegor

« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2010, 03:32:24 PM »
I tried a new shave gel by neutrogena for sensitive skin says it prevents bumps/irritation and since I've used it already a lot less bumps.  Also using witch hazel after shaving and throughout the day, as well as a moisturizing aloe gel seems to be good too.  I found another product similar to the Clearhead but have not tried it yet.  It is medicated and says results will show within 24 hours so I will let you all know how it works. 
 thanks again for all the great advice and tips!