Author Topic: Need Advice  (Read 6912 times)

L Supreme

Need Advice
« on: December 31, 2006, 01:45:43 PM »
I shave my head against the grain. When I shave it every other day my head bleeds like my hair is being plucked out of my head instead of cut. My hair is coarse so I make sure I take a hot shower prior to cutting my hair. Sometimes its fine others its not, more so not. Is there anything I can do to prevent the bleeding and still get a extremely smooth shave?

I'm using a Gillette fusion right now & I've tried other razors, but now difference. Can some please help me out on this one?

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
Re: Need Advice
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2006, 01:54:36 PM »
Hey L Supreme!  One of the things that most people do when shaving is apply TOO MUCH pressure on the head of the blade.  Try using shorter strokes with the Fusion and a little less pressure than you normally use.  Also, how often do you replace your blades?
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

L Supreme

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2006, 01:56:33 PM »
about every 2-3 weeks

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2006, 01:58:50 PM »
about every 2-3 weeks

Do you notice any difference right after changing the blade versus a week or two later?
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

L Supreme

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2006, 02:10:31 PM »
about every 2-3 weeks

Do you notice any difference right after changing the blade versus a week or two later?

No, I switched razors today mid shaving & no change. Like you said it might be too much pressure. I'm gonna try to use less, maybe even pickup a headblade

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2006, 02:12:20 PM »
No, I switched razors today mid shaving & no change. Like you said it might be too much pressure. I'm gonna try to use less, maybe even pickup a headblade

Sounds good!  Let us know how it works.

By the way, welcome to Sly Bald Guys!  Don't forget to put up an introduction on the Introductions board so we can get to know you.

Offline happyharry

• Team Sly
  • Super Sly
  • bald, bold and beautiful
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2006, 02:29:01 PM »
Hi Love Supreme (at least I assume it's that. :))

modifying your shaving technique will be more effective than simply using different products.
Try to modify your technique a little bit. Tyler gave a great piece of advice. Try that out.

Also, here are a couple of interesting links for you on how you could go about it (shaving your head in a way so that you don't get any cuts, bumps or irritation):

http://www.slybaldguys.com/smf/index.php?topic=210.msg1038#msg1038

http://www.slybaldguys.com/smf/index.php?topic=188.msg913#msg913

Good luck, and let us know how it turned out.

Harry
Who loves ya, baby?

Offline PBurke

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2006, 02:51:13 PM »
Welcome. the headblade is a good idea. it takes a little practice to get used to but it is a great product. less pressure might help as well. if you have any other questions or comments, post them. we will try to help. looking forward to getting to know you. Paul

Treat people with respect, or just ignore them!

Offline ar3inc

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
  • Oh yes, I'm back and in black
    • Myspace
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2007, 12:05:44 PM »
Welcome to the group Supreme!  Yeah, pretty much Tyler, Harry and Paul covered it.  Pressure, headblade, and old razors.  If you still have problems let us know.
"Every man dies, not every man really lives."  Braveheart, 1995

Offline PigPen

• Single... and lovin it baby!
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2007, 05:15:19 PM »
Yeah, what they said...and welcome to the site!
In a bacon and eggs breakfast, the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed. BE THE PIG!!!

Offline David

• the v-train is coming through
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • being sly flying high
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2007, 07:19:29 PM »
You might also consider a nice electric wet/dry shaver.    I personally use the norelco cool skin shaver, and it has not nicked or cut me since I bought it around thanksgiving.    It's expensive(95 bucks) but it should last me at least a few years.

It gets just as close as a blade would, or at least close enough.    There are other wet/dry shavers for half that price btw that i'm sure also do a good job.

Also, I recommend shaving while taking the shower.    With the warm water running over your head.   Why?   Because it makes the hair ridiculously easy to cut.   I've done it after holding a towel on my head for a few minutes as well, without the benefit of running water on my head as I shave it, and it takes more effort and time to cut it that way.

bald for life