Author Topic: I'm back  (Read 3148 times)

Offline Rusty Shackleford

• Ultimate Sly Guy
I'm back
« on: March 16, 2021, 05:17:17 PM »
3 years ago I had been shaving my head for nearly 20 years when I suddenly got tired of doing the process.  It became like a chore and I also saw a couple guys who had regrown hair and I got curious to do it myself.  Well, the reverse has happened and last night I returned to the fold.

Over the years I was getting fade haircuts which I liked a lot, but they grow out so freaking fast.  I'd get a haircut and then just a few days later it felt like the fade part was gone.  Last summer I started buzzing my hair myself, a nd it's like a gateway drug:  I'd cut it a certain way then a few weeks later I'd get a shorter guard, cut it that way for a while and go shorter again, etc.  Even when I cut my hair myself it was annoying because I'd have little hair particles stuck to me after at least 2 showers.

Once I knew it was inevitable I researched head shaving razors (did you know Todd Greene from Headblade died of cancer?) and got the Omnirazor.  I've only shaved once so far and the results were "meh".  I liked how it worked, but it left rough spots.  To be fair it was working with clipper-buzzed length hair so I'll be testing again tonight.

As for the look and feel it does feel a little strange to me as I am not totally used to the look yet, but I'm sure that will come back in time. 

You don't know me, but I know you.

Offline Dragon

• Super Sly
Re: I'm back
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2021, 02:41:31 AM »
3 years ago I had been shaving my head for nearly 20 years when I suddenly got tired of doing the process.  It became like a chore and I also saw a couple guys who had regrown hair and I got curious to do it myself.  Well, the reverse has happened and last night I returned to the fold.

Over the years I was getting fade haircuts which I liked a lot, but they grow out so freaking fast.  I'd get a haircut and then just a few days later it felt like the fade part was gone.  Last summer I started buzzing my hair myself, a nd it's like a gateway drug:  I'd cut it a certain way then a few weeks later I'd get a shorter guard, cut it that way for a while and go shorter again, etc.  Even when I cut my hair myself it was annoying because I'd have little hair particles stuck to me after at least 2 showers.

Once I knew it was inevitable I researched head shaving razors (did you know Todd Greene from  died of cancer?) and got the Omnirazor.  I've only shaved once so far and the results were "meh".  I liked how it worked, but it left rough spots.  To be fair it was working with clipper-buzzed length hair so I'll be testing again tonight.

As for the look and feel it does feel a little strange to me as I am not totally used to the look yet, but I'm sure that will come back in time. 

welcome back, looking great

Offline reddog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2021, 06:00:01 AM »
Perfect bald head, it must feel awesome!
Bald by choice, and loving it!

Offline slybeard

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2021, 09:04:11 AM »
Looks great Randy. I am sure your tight fade also looked good with your beard, but I understand the desire to shave. After spending significant time shaved, it just seems wrong to have hair.
SlyBeard

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2021, 10:50:09 AM »
Welcome back from the dark side!

Offline -Doug-

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
  • Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.
    • Gabe's Shirt Goes To..
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2021, 11:02:27 AM »
Welcome back, Rusty. That's a hell of beard...looks great!
Life has three aspects: Paradox, Humor, and Change.

Paradox: Life is a mystery; don't waste time figuring it out.
Humor: Keep a sense of humor, especially about yourself. It is a strength beyond all measure
Change: Know that nothing stays the same.

Offline ANASFIL

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2021, 05:08:45 AM »
Welcome back. I am wishing you happy "bald" days!!

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2021, 06:49:17 AM »
Thanks everyone.  It only took about a day for the style to feel normal to me again, until last night.  I had one of the original Headblades about 20 years ago and used it a few times, but I decided to try one of the new ones.  It arrived yesterday, and keep in mind I have shaved my head nearly 7,000 times, it turned me into a bloody mess.  I looked like a victim from Criminal Minds!  I've never come this close to cutting myself so much in a headshave, not even close! One of the problems is that I didn't feel how many times it cut the skin so I thought I just nicked myself 2-3 times but when I got out of the shower I could see it was all over my head with a few especially bad nicks.  It was so bad I had to put 10 bandaids on my head just to ensure I wouldn't ruin my pillows.  I took them off this morning and some of them are still bleeding. 

The parts that were shaved were very smooth at least, but while the Omnishaver I had been using was not getting the skin smooth as glass I think I'm going back to it since it at least didn't leave me a bloody mess.

Offline DoberDaddy

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2021, 06:27:44 AM »
Wow, so sad to hear about Todd Greene.

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2021, 07:52:46 AM »
It was so disappointing resuming daily shaving after only one week just to get butched by Freddy Krueger HeadBlade.  I mean it looked BAD.  I skipped a day and then last night I tried again with my OmniShaver.  I couldn't get a perfectly smooth shave with it before, but I think that was useful last night as it did not reopen any of the HB wounds, in fact I patted down a towel on my head and found no blood spots.  Maybe it is handy to have a razor that doesnt shave perfectly smooth for situations like this.

Offline slybeard

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2021, 08:24:29 AM »
I have had the same issues with a Headblade every time I tried it.  Bloodbath.  I really like using my Gillette Fusion, I do not think it has given me a nick in over two years.  A little expensive, but the blades last.  I am only changing the blades/cartridge monthly.
SlyBeard

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2021, 01:04:20 PM »
So in the short time I've been back I have sliced up my head with a Headblade and also got a nice torching of sunburn on the head.  Thankfully most of the sun damage is not on the head so I was able to shave it without much discomfort, but at least my beard worked well in protecting me from the sun because I have a nice unburnt part of my upper chest that I can thank the beard for!

Online SlyMike

• Ad Free VIP
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Big Beard and Bald Head - I love it!
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2021, 01:11:58 PM »
It took me a fair while to get used to the headblade, the omnishaver looks very interesting though.
First started shaving my head on the 9th October 2014