Author Topic: Hairstyles have really changed!  (Read 7188 times)

Offline chuck63

• Sly
Re: Hairstyles have really changed!
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2021, 09:16:23 AM »
I grew up in the 70’s and graduated high school in the early 80’s.  Long hair was in style back then.  I had long hair like most of the other guys did.  Bald guys were a rare thing in those days.  The only ones I remember on tv were Telly Savalas in Kojack and David Carradine in Kung Fu.  For whatever reason, there were times in high school when I wondered  what it would be like to have a shaved head.  After wearing a buzz cut for ten or twelve years, I shaved mine for the first time about five years ago.  After going back and forth for three or four years, I’ve been committed to staying bald for over a year now.   It seems to me that I don’t see as many bald guys around as I used to. 

Offline reddog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2021, 08:23:16 AM »
@chuck63 , just the opposite around here. There are more shaved heads than ever. When I o to Menards, I always see 5 or 6 fellow baldies!

I remember in the 70's, we had a guy in the neighborhood that sported an awesome short flattop. He stuck out like a sore thumb, as long hair was popular. I always admired him for sticking with the flattop, even if it was considered old fashioned.
Bald by choice, and loving it!

Offline Rusty Shackleford

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2021, 09:07:52 AM »
Thanks @slybeard !

The funny thing about hairstyles, and styles in general. They will always change, but in some way reflect on the past.

There will ALWAYS be people who hate them.

I think that's because there's really only so many ways that hair can be styled, but like Reddog said I hope the big mountain of hair that overhangs the ears never returns. 

It's funny because I watch sitcoms from the 70s and early 80s where men had that haircut, and even though I know that I must be much older than they were back at the time they still look decades older than me.  I don't know if that's because I first remember these episodes and characters from when I was a teen and therefore they will forever feel 30 years older than me or if those haircuts really go age a person.
You don't know me, but I know you.

Offline reddog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2021, 09:52:33 AM »
How the hell did I end up with a bald head!?

My haircut history is extensive. For us guys that grew up in the 60's and70's, most of us wore long hair. Secretly, I always liked short hair, but because of peer pressure, I had shoulder length hair. I ever got fired from a job for refusing to get a haircut. During the 80's, I dated, then married a hairstylist, so it was still a little long, but styled, sometimes even permed! I also started turning grey at 21, and mostly grey by 35. Then in my 40's, I tried several styles, and wore a silver flattop for a few years. Then I had a boring regular haircut for many years until 8 years ago, when I got out the Clippers and buzzed it all off. Immediately, I didn't like the buzzcut, so out came the razor, and I fell in love with my shaved bald haircut.I'm glad I'm at the age that I wear my hair the way I like it, and it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks!

Offline slybeard

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2021, 07:30:30 AM »
I think the hairstyles for young men and teenagers in the 70's were more a statement of rebellion, so they had to be more extreme and different from the older generation.  I do admit that one style liked but never had was the mullet. Likely one of the most hated hairstyles today.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2021, 08:48:59 AM by slybeard »
SlyBeard

Offline DoberDaddy

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2021, 03:54:17 AM »
Funny that the mullet is making a comeback... and it's worse than ever.

I see guys with really amazing, thick long hair... buzzing half the front... leaving the back long... or flattop with mullet.

Not something I would do myself... but. Wow, pretty extreme.

Offline clint902

• Super Sly
« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2021, 05:22:41 AM »
The one that really bugs me is when a guy has a straight line shaved in the front that goes from the left to the right side.  I dunno why, it just bugs me.

Offline Razorhead

• Super Sly
  • Shave off that mess!
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2021, 10:50:25 AM »
The one that really bugs me is when a guy has a straight line shaved in the front that goes from the left to the right side.  I dunno why, it just bugs me.

I took a break from shaving my head a few years ago and grew it long enough to do a side part haircut with shaved in part. Every time I see pics from back then, I cringe and I say ‘this is why I can’t have hair’. Just about every haircut (other than a buzzcut) that I had, I hated.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2021, 10:53:00 AM by Razorhead »

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2021, 11:15:31 AM »
Also on thing I see on all male haircuts anymore is a clipper-edged hairline on the front parts of the head like on the forehead hairline or on the temples.  It makes for a very harsh and artificial look, and most guys do not bother maintaining it so a few days after getting a fresh haircut this hair starts growing back and looks like a mess.  I don't get it as it seems completely unnecessary.

Offline slybeard

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2021, 01:04:52 PM »
Also on thing I see on all male haircuts anymore is a clipper-edged hairline on the front parts of the head like on the forehead hairline or on the temples.  It makes for a very harsh and artificial look, and most guys do not bother maintaining it so a few days after getting a fresh haircut this hair starts growing back and looks like a mess.  I don't get it as it seems completely unnecessary.

My guess is those cut in lines and forehead line-ups are put there to keep guys coming back.  They look good for a few days and then they look bad as it grows out.  So you have to keep up with weekly appointments at the barber to keep it fresh.  I have asked a few young guys at my gym about their "defined" haircuts, and they all keep weekly appointments.  Many do the same detailing with their beard.  It is a lot of cost, and a lot of time.  And I agree that it looks artificial and totally un-natural.
SlyBeard

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2021, 07:57:30 AM »

My guess is those cut in lines and forehead line-ups are put there to keep guys coming back.  They look good for a few days and then they look bad as it grows out.  So you have to keep up with weekly appointments at the barber to keep it fresh.  I have asked a few young guys at my gym about their "defined" haircuts, and they all keep weekly appointments.  Many do the same detailing with their beard.  It is a lot of cost, and a lot of time.  And I agree that it looks artificial and totally un-natural.

I think some guys even use a pencil to make the hairline even more extreme and artificial looking.  Some guys end up looking like an NPC from an early low-resolution 3D video game.

I love the look of a fresh fade haircut, but one of the reasons I resumed shaving my head is because of how rapidly fades fade away.  I guess the edging in the front of the hairline makes the need for a fresh haircut more apparent too.  I really enjoyed my barbershop for those 2 years but the idea of going once a week seemed too extreme, but is necessary to maintain fades, flattops, and other short hairstyles and I just didn't have the interest in going anything more than once every 3 weeks.

Offline reddog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2021, 09:33:12 AM »
When I grew my hair back several times, I liked cutting my own flattop. But, like you say Rusty, it takes alot of maintenance. I would find something to touch up every few days. Then, at some point I wouldn't like how it was looking, so I went back to shaving.

Offline Razorhead

• Super Sly
  • Shave off that mess!
« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2021, 08:37:24 PM »
@reddog: that’s an amazing looking flattop. Kudos  to you for the self cut. That is a tough cut to do.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2021, 10:09:07 AM by Razorhead »

Offline DoberDaddy

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #28 on: May 07, 2021, 02:12:43 AM »
When I grew my hair back several times, I liked cutting my own flattop. But, like you say Rusty, it takes alot of maintenance. I would find something to touch up every few days. Then, at some point I wouldn't like how it was looking, so I went back to shaving.

WOW! Kudos... great cut!

Offline DoberDaddy

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #29 on: May 07, 2021, 02:13:50 AM »

I think some guys even use a pencil to make the hairline even more extreme and artificial looking.  Some guys end up looking like an NPC from an early low-resolution 3D video game.

I love the look of a fresh fade haircut, but one of the reasons I resumed shaving my head is because of how rapidly fades fade away.  I guess the edging in the front of the hairline makes the need for a fresh haircut more apparent too.  I really enjoyed my barbershop for those 2 years but the idea of going once a week seemed too extreme, but is necessary to maintain fades, flattops, and other short hairstyles and I just didn't have the interest in going anything more than once every 3 weeks.

Either they brush on "Biggen" dye... or use an airbrush. Lasts about as long as hair fibers...

Yeah, I don't get a hairstyle or beard style that does not hold up more than 2 days.

Enter your email address: