Author Topic: Razor options for Merkur Futur-Goodbye HBs  (Read 3081 times)

Offline LeatherHelmets

• Learning the way of Sly
Razor options for Merkur Futur-Goodbye HBs
« on: August 28, 2020, 09:53:16 AM »
The cost of buying HB 4's for my HB ATX has risen over the last 4 years.  Today it would cost 49.00 USD to buy 4 blades packaged off  Mx, and that's with free shipping.  Mexico has a 16% tax, along with import fees.

So as of today I'm on my last HB 4.   I use Astra SP with my Merkur for face shaving.  A little too sharp for my head though, after a "good gouge"
So any recommendations on a milder blade for the Merkur for head shaving.
Thanks.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2020, 12:28:00 PM by LeatherHelmets »

Offline reddog

• Sly Bureau
Re: Razor options for Merkur Futur-Goodbye HBs
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2020, 11:07:22 AM »
The Astra SP is my go to blade for headshaving. Very seldom get a kick with them. I tried the Feather blades as I heard they were sharper, and I don't like them. Always seem to get a kick with the Feathers. I use a 1954 Gillette Tech double edge.
Bald by choice, and loving it!

Offline LeatherHelmets

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2020, 07:09:40 AM »
Thanks for feedback, I may end up just staying with the Astra SP, take my time.   Live with some blood. 

Offline Magoo

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2020, 07:00:21 AM »
The Astra SP is my go to blade for headshaving. Very seldom get a kick with them. I tried the Feather blades as I heard they were sharper, and I don't like them. Always seem to get a kick with the Feathers. I use a 1954  Tech double edge.
Coincidentally, I use a 1954 Gillette super speed , but only on my face. It was my fathers, and he’s been gone since 1967. My first DE is lost and gone.
If only all men lived by the "Golden Rule ."

Offline Magoo

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2020, 07:11:49 AM »
The cost of buying HB 4's for my HB ATX has risen over the last 4 years.  Today it would cost 49.00 USD to buy 4 blades packaged off  Mx, and that's with free shipping.  Mexico has a 16% tax, along with import fees.

So as of today I'm on my last HB 4.   I use Astra SP with my Merkur for face shaving.  A little too sharp for my head though, after a "good gouge"
So any recommendations on a milder blade for the Merkur for head shaving.
Thanks.
My personal advice is to not shave your head with a DE . It takes a lot longer and extreme care for that purpose. I personally use a 2 blade disposable andhave no problem at all. Barbasol disposable is sharp and I can get 10 shaves with it.
If only all men lived by the "Golden Rule ."

Offline LeatherHelmets

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2020, 11:37:29 AM »
Thanks for the rec'.   Today I did a wet shave/shower, head shave this a.m. with Astra SP, Merkur Futur, and Gillette Edge gel. Did a 2-minute start with my Orihea electric shaver, put the gel on my head, spread with a shave brush, then 3 passes with the Merkur. Raising my head in between. Proceeding very carefully. No cuts and probably one of the best head shaves ever!  I did order a sampler pack of blades from Amazom Mx to try other blades.

With the electric shaver, I can avoid the disposable blades (plastic) on days I want a quick shave, wet or dry.  I don't get as smooth as shave as doing with a DE, ATX or Schick Hydro that I was using, but knew that prior to buying.  Alternating gives your head a "rest" from closer shaving as well.

Offline clint902

• Super Sly
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2020, 04:39:36 AM »
It's kind of frustrating because I get a really good shave from my Braun electric but start to get nubs in the evening even when I use a de so I mostly stick to a wet shave with my trusty Braun.  All that hard work is gone the next morning then it's time to shave again.  Oh well, such is life.

Offline LeatherHelmets

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2020, 04:45:42 AM »
I've had my DE for four years, but just now making better of use of it.   Used Fusion and Schick Hydro as well.  Never really got a good shave from DE that everyone claims until I did some research found out the right way.  Found out that there was more to DE shaving  that one pass down.   My jawline always had nubs after shaving, so I discounted the DE.  Now I know better.
Maybe changing your DE/blades might help?

Offline R o b 6

• Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2020, 08:26:51 AM »
DE blades I prefer for head shaves include Gillette Silver Blue, Nacet and Voskhod.

Offline LeatherHelmets

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2020, 01:08:23 PM »
Waiting today for a sample pack that includes Voskhod which I've read all positives about.  The Astra Sps, with the Merkur set at 1, are seeming a little sharp for head shaving, at least starting out.

Offline LeatherHelmets

Voskhod Blade question
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2020, 05:13:44 AM »
Received this blade in a sampler pack from Amazon Mx (US offers same).   Vendor did not provide the Voskhod Telfon Coated as advertised, but this blade which I can't find any info on: