Author Topic: Forum Newbie Looking For Advice  (Read 3342 times)

Offline Zanuda

• Learning the way of Sly
Forum Newbie Looking For Advice
« on: July 05, 2020, 06:20:12 AM »
Hi Guys.

I just found this forum.
I’m sure similar posts have been made (possibly many times).

I’m going bald. Not by choice, but by the power of male pattern baldness.

About 15 years ago I choose to buzz my head. It was a big change and I liked it. I kept it that way for several years. Then I let it start growing back and realized I had a real problem! So I’ve kept it short (5-6 mm) since. But that hasn’t hidden the truth. The coverage was clearly in steady decline. During the lockdowns I let it grow longer than I have in a long time. It doesn’t look good (see the pics).

Here’s the thing – as the years have gone on, my looks have changed overall. I’ve become (more?!) nerdy. The combo of glasses, a balding head, and a decrease in muscle (think skinny fat) hasn’t been kind to me. I like the really short, or even fully shaved look, when a guy is losing his hair. I think it looks good with a beard too. BUT…none of that seems to work for me. It just doesn’t suit me. And while I’ve never had a full beard, if I let it go for a week or so it comes in all gray. My wife doesn’t like the way it looks at all. 

I can still live with the way my hair looks from a side and front view, but the top and back views are bad. Unfortunately these views are shockingly common (I never realized just how much before, but I am quite aware of it now).

So I’m looking for advice from experienced people in similar situations. Looking forward to some constructive suggestions on what to do!

« Last Edit: July 05, 2020, 06:33:34 AM by Zanuda »

Offline bennett11

• Ultimate Sly Guy
Re: Forum Newbie Looking For Advice
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2020, 10:30:50 AM »
I wasn't in similar situation as was not unhappy to become mpb.  but definitely you will look better with fully shaved head,  it also doesn't call attention to growing baldness which is obvious now.

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2020, 03:15:23 PM »
Welcome, sir

Maybe just go shorter gradually? Also if you can, grow some facial hair to offset your short or shaved head should you go that far. Nice glasses, BTW, they fit your face well.
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline Zanuda

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2020, 04:19:01 PM »
Thanks guys.

I went ahead and cut it back down to what I had before I let it grow during the lockdown.

I like it better from all angles...except the straight on view. Oh well. It is what it is.

As for the facial hair - like I mentioned, it just doesn't work for me. I'll admit I've never really committed to it, but the gray and my wife's dislike of it always stops it after anything more than several days growth.

Offline Semi-Sly

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2020, 10:46:42 PM »
well facial hair doesn’t work for everybody it doesn’t work for me there’s nothing wrong with a beautiful totally clean shaven look

Offline Magoo

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2020, 09:48:00 AM »
Shave your head , beards are not for everyone. Give the head shave a try , only way to find if you like it. Give it 30 days for you and others time to get use to it.
If only all men lived by the "Golden Rule ."

Offline clint902

• Super Sly
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2020, 04:51:01 AM »
The buzzed hair looks good!  You can try shaving if you want but if you don't like it, just let it grow for a week and it will look like  a buzz cut.  I personally can't grow much of a beard(comes in all grey) and comes in pretty sparse. 
feel free to experiment with it until you find what works for you.  Your wife's input in important as well.  I would say the buzz cut works well for you.

Offline Razorhead

• Super Sly
  • Shave off that mess!
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2020, 07:26:58 AM »
Try using a #1 guard for a buzz cut. It will look neater. I think the buzz cut suits you. You can shave it and in a week it will be a #1 in length. But it looks good on you