Author Topic: Pros and Cons of being bald  (Read 76206 times)

Offline Razorhead

• Super Sly
  • Shave off that mess!
Re: Pros and Cons of being bald
« Reply #105 on: August 03, 2020, 07:32:58 AM »
@slickjack - congrats on your new found shaved head and it sounds like you have gotten the hang of shaving and using sunscreen.

Yeah, i wear a head covering under my cycling helmet. I haven’t been a victim of any bad tan lines. But i also put on sunscreen too. But i hear you about the indentations! I bought a new helmet which really has a nicer fit. So I’ve have reduced the identations.

Where are you are from? I’m in NJ. So lots of sun and humidity. Plus rain. But a lot of nice riding days.

Offline slickjack

• Sly Jr.
  • Day 1
« Reply #106 on: August 03, 2020, 10:57:02 AM »
@Razorhead I'm in the UK - so quite a lot of rain and less heat and humidity.  So good cycling weather generally, if you don't mind wind and rain, and helmet indentations!

Offline clint902

• Super Sly
« Reply #107 on: August 03, 2020, 12:06:49 PM »
4 months into being bald by choice and there's a lot of pros: It's a clean and smart look, hides the grey (and is pretty age-less), feels great, is cool in the summer, never having to worry about styling or bad hair days...

Cons: Not too many for me.  I've always been susceptible to sunburn.  So even with short hair I had to worry and use .  I don't mind shaving daily or every other day.  I've got much quicker with practice. Not being able to get a couple of bits smooth without over-shaving is a little frustrating...

@Razorhead it's not sunny enough here very often to get tanned through my bike helmet.  But I do get strap indentations on my head after a good ride, which take a while to disappear and can look a bit odd!
You made me chuckle when you mentioned "no bad hair days"!  Every day I had hair was a bad hair day for me and I never left the house without my hat.  I looked like a troll!(no offense to any trolls out there lol)

Offline reddog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #108 on: August 14, 2020, 06:40:17 AM »
Last night I took my classic car to a cruise-in and hanging out with the guys. I noticed there were four of us in a row, 3 with shaved heads and grey goatees, one bald with short fringe. It was very hot and humid, and we all agreed we felt cool with a nice breeze. Advantage sly guys!
Bald by choice, and loving it!

Offline clint902

• Super Sly
« Reply #109 on: August 16, 2020, 11:27:46 AM »
The only con think of is that I have to shave every day.  I'ts kind of a big deal for me because I have to have to shave it first with my wet/dry electric, then hit it with my de.  It takes me awhile because the next morning my stubble will be very thick and impossible to shave with my de new blade or not doesn't matter.  The blade just bites but won't shave.  There has to be an easier way.

Offline Magoo

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #110 on: August 18, 2020, 03:15:42 PM »
You say you can’t shave your head with a DE if you don’t shave every day. I can’t shave my head with A DE period. I’ll take a 2 blade disposable any day. Face shaving with a DE is no problem, but head shaving is a different story. Head shaving with a DE has no advantages, it’s slower by far , and  must be held at just a perfect angle. My suggestion is to try a different type razor instead.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2020, 03:18:05 PM by Magoo »
If only all men lived by the "Golden Rule ."

Offline reddog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #111 on: August 18, 2020, 03:57:36 PM »
@clint902 , have you tried a Schick Extreme 3 disposable? I've tried alot of razors and this one works best for me.
Bald by choice, and loving it!

Offline clint902

• Super Sly
« Reply #112 on: August 19, 2020, 07:01:50 AM »
@clint902 , have you tried a  Extreme 3 disposable? I've tried alot of razors and this one works best for me.
Not that one but I've tried almost everything else on the market, my razor is the 1918 Gilette.  I also have a Murker slant and the headblade.  If I shave in the shower, they all work fine but over the sink, none of them work.  My hair's just too thick.  I'll just stick to the wet/dry Braun for now.  It does a respectable job, not perfect but I can't complain much.  I use the Gillette for touching up the rough spots. 

Offline R o b 6

• Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #113 on: August 19, 2020, 02:47:46 PM »
The Extreme 3 is a gamechanger even for a DE shaver like me. Worth a shot!

Offline chuck63

• Sly
« Reply #114 on: August 19, 2020, 05:29:26 PM »
I shave my head in the shower with a Gillette Fusion 5.  I get perfectly smooth results with it.  I’m going to the beach and I’m looking forward to getting a nice tan on my bald head!

Offline clint902

• Super Sly
« Reply #115 on: August 21, 2020, 12:42:10 PM »
The Extreme 3 is a gamechanger even for a DE shaver like me. Worth a shot!
Ok, I'll get some and try them out.  I'm not too optimistic about it but it's worth a try.

Offline clint902

• Super Sly
« Reply #116 on: October 04, 2020, 01:46:56 AM »
Ok, I got the Shick extreme 3 shavers and they work pretty good.  I'll get more when this pack gets low.

Offline clint902

• Super Sly
« Reply #117 on: May 15, 2021, 04:30:58 PM »
Ok, I've figured out my problem.  Some guys have thin hairs and can get away with shaving once a week, however, If I don't shave for a week, I'd have to break out the heavy equipment.  My hair is very thick which is why the advice I get from others don't seem to apply to me but I do try.  With the change in seasons and the warmer weather, I'm having a harder time shaving.  In the winter I get a few shaves from each blade but lately, I can't even make it through a single shave without swapping out the blade.  It is what it is.  I never gave much thought to pros and cons.  I just prefer it shaved.

Offline Razorhead

• Super Sly
  • Shave off that mess!
« Reply #118 on: August 14, 2023, 08:19:22 AM »
Here’s a pro for summer…..working at home at my desk sitting under a paddle fan blowing across my naked scalp. The cool breeze on my head…..so nice.

Enter your email address: