Author Topic: what blades do you recommend?  (Read 2091 times)

Offline Dragon

• Super Sly
what blades do you recommend?
« on: July 21, 2021, 09:36:49 AM »
what blades do you recommend?

Offline reddog

• Sly Bureau
Re: what blades do you recommend?
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2021, 10:34:06 AM »
If you are asking about safety razor blades, I like the Astra platinum blades. I can get a box of100 for about $10 on Amazon.
Bald by choice, and loving it!

Offline clint902

• Super Sly
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2021, 12:42:48 PM »
I like the shick extreme 3 for shaving because of the handle but I also have a stash of Dorco ST301.  As for the Dorco, They're scary sharp and I tend to get nicks.  I like them both.  I think it's all in the prep but once any blade starts to chatter, I will nick myself.

Offline Razorhead

• Super Sly
  • Shave off that mess!
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2021, 04:38:06 AM »
I still use a Mach3 to shave my noggin. I find that there is less nicking with 3 blades. It’s been several years since i used a 4 or 5 blade razor. Maybe I need to revisit using additional blades but if I recall correctly I didn’t find the shaving experience to be much different.

Offline chuck63

• Sly
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2021, 08:33:41 AM »
I started using a Gillette Fusion5 a couple of years ago.  It gives me a smooth shave and the blades last me 2-3 weeks

Offline slybeard

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2021, 06:18:23 AM »
After a number of years using a three blade cartridge razor and avoiding the high cost of the Fusion, I finally gave the Gillette Fusion a try a couple of year ago.  I am now sold on them.  The shave is great, and nicks are rare, and they do last a long time.  I typically use them for a month. So the high cost is really not that high considering the durability.
SlyBeard

Online buddha

• Sly Bureau
  • Cut myself shaving!
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2022, 02:03:55 PM »
I use Feather, Merkur, and Derby. They're all very good, IMO. I have a box of Gilette Stainless but I'm saving those for the ZA.
"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it never really care for anything else thereafter."
Ernest Hemingway, On The Blue Water.

Offline clint902

• Super Sly
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2022, 08:17:05 AM »
It's not the sharpness of the blade but rather the preparation of the scalp that matters most.  No matter what blade I use, it's like cutting through butter.  I really sharp blade cause me razor burn and nicks for some reason.  I think the prep is the key to a good shave.