Author Topic: 2nd Week Down and Feeling More Confident  (Read 4968 times)

Offline steve69

• Sly Jr.
2nd Week Down and Feeling More Confident
« on: September 30, 2020, 09:20:34 AM »
I celebrated my second week of the 30 day challenge with a straight razor head shave at the barber shop yesterday. I'm loving how the shaved head feels when I'm exercising. Not sure if I'll keep the look permanently, but definitely for a while.

Offline reddog

• Sly Bureau
Re: 2nd Week Down and Feeling More Confident
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2020, 10:35:21 AM »
It looks awesome, Steve! Keep it for 90 days and you might get hooked. You have a perfect head to wear the baldie style. How did you like the barbershop shave?
Bald by choice, and loving it!

Offline steve69

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2020, 09:54:36 AM »
It looks awesome, Steve! Keep it for 90 days and you might get hooked. You have a perfect head to wear the baldie style. How did you like the barbershop shave?

Thanks, @reddog! I've honestly struggled a bit with the change from having hair to going Sly, but I've gotten a lot of positive feedback. And a lot of those comments have been on having the perfect head shape to pull off the shaved head look. It's just a pretty dramatic change from the "surfer" look I had going on just before the head shave to the law enforcement look I have now, but it's growing on me, if you'll pardon the pun.

The first head shave at the barber shop a couple weeks ago was honestly a little rough, especially when the hair came off and I saw the new Sly me in the mirror. The second one on Tuesday went a lot better and I was a lot more confident looking at myself in the mirror. It was actually really relaxing and the barber got it super smooth, which is something I never seem to be able to do at home.

So yeah, I'm going to try to stick it out for a while and see if I can get more comfortable with the new look.

« Last Edit: October 01, 2020, 10:49:53 AM by steve69 »

Offline slybeard

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2020, 12:06:11 PM »
Barber shop shaves can be a real treat.  But with practice, you will eventually be able to get it just as close yourself.  It does take some time to adjust to the change in the mirror, especially since you had so much hair to loose.  It is a big change for you.
SlyBeard

Offline reddog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2020, 01:56:47 PM »
I had the beach bum look too. Those days are gone, and I look forward everyday to my morning headshave. It's awesome to feel a totally smooth head!

Offline Dragon

• Super Sly
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2020, 01:04:03 AM »
thats just extra proof (if needed), the sly look suits you better

Offline steve69

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2020, 03:07:26 PM »
Barber shop shaves can be a real treat.  But with practice, you will eventually be able to get it just as close yourself.  It does take some time to adjust to the change in the mirror, especially since you had so much hair to loose.  It is a big change for you.

@slybeard Yeah, I'm going to try my luck with a different razor and see if I get better results. I love the barber shop experience, but it could get expensive really quick. it was a bigger change than I was expecting and I'm still trying to get used to it. I definitely look a lot younger with hair, and that's probably the biggest adjustment with the shaved head I at least look closer to my actual age.

Offline steve69

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2020, 03:10:30 PM »
I had the beach bum look too. Those days are gone, and I look forward everyday to my morning headshave. It's awesome to feel a totally smooth head!

@reddog Woah - you weren't kidding. That makes me feel a little more secure in my decision. And I'm with you on the fact that a totally smooth head is the best feeling! Now if I can just convince myself I look better this way LOL.

Offline steve69

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2020, 03:12:16 PM »
thats just extra proof (if needed), the sly look suits you better

@Dragon

I'm honestly still struggling with whether or not I look better. A lot of people think so, so I'm trying to give myself some time to the new look. It took a while to get used to having hair, so this is just the flip side of that.

Offline Semi-Sly

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2020, 12:38:19 AM »

Oh no Reddog,   That picture of you reminds me of Bob Keeshan the host of a children’s afterschool television show called Captain kangaroo

Offline clint902

• Super Sly
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2020, 01:54:19 AM »
@slybeard Yeah, I'm going to try my luck with a different razor and see if I get better results. I love the barber shop experience, but it could get expensive really quick. it was a bigger change than I was expecting and I'm still trying to get used to it. I definitely look a lot younger with hair, and that's probably the biggest adjustment with the shaved head I at least look closer to my actual age.
It's not so much the razor as the prep.  It's all in the prep.  The problem is the salt and oils from the scalp make the hairs get thicker and hard to shave so I always shampoo my head to get all that stuff off then rinse.  While still wet, I apply a good shaving gel and let it sit for a couple of minutes until the hairs are so soft I can barely feel them with my fingers.  First pass is with the grain then rinse off.  Lather up again then against the grain.  At that point, it's like cutting through butter.  You still want to use a good razor and a sharp blade but, well, my prep takes about 15 minutes but the actual shaving is the fastest part and takes around 5 minutes or so. 
« Last Edit: October 03, 2020, 02:07:50 AM by clint902 »

Offline reddog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2020, 07:19:22 AM »
Haha, very funny Semi! I didn't wear my hair that long for very long. Of course, you can understand why I immediately loved the totally bald look, and have kept it for over 7 years. As the cold sets in, I have started to grow some hair for warmth, currently a marine style high and tight recon. As usual, I probably won't make it more than a few weeks before I can't stand it an shave it bald again.

Offline clint902

• Super Sly
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2020, 07:46:50 AM »
Haha, very funny Semi! I didn't wear my hair that long for very long. Of course, you can understand why I immediately loved the totally bald look, and have kept it for over 7 years. As the cold sets in, I have started to grow some hair for warmth, currently a marine style high and tight recon. As usual, I probably won't make it more than a few weeks before I can't stand it an shave it bald again.
If I go a couple of days without shaving, I start to feel so dirty and people will think I'm a hippy or something. 

Offline reddog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2020, 09:10:23 AM »

@clint902 , yes, I feel the same way. A little stubble and I don't feel right. Then after 3 or 4 days it itches like crazy.

I often wonder if headshaving becomes an obsession of something. After shaving for a few months or years, it seems you can't go back to having hair. Usually, I can't wait to get in the shower first thing in the morning and get my head perfectly smooth. I'm still shaving the sides and back and it feels so good.

Offline Semi-Sly

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2020, 09:18:25 PM »

Thanks slight beard yeah the same here I started growing it back because I’m facing some really tough surgery in about seven weeks so I feel the need to “Warrior Up”  for this one.  I really do prefer the clean-shaven dome over hairr though but I have to adopt an attitude of “ I am the meanest motherfucker in the valley and this operation it’s not gonna get me down !!   So I’m gonna bring back the high tight and brutal horseshoe Flattop for a while to help me face the one with h a; “bring it on” attitude..

hopefully All will be successful and by the spring I’ll be walking again and proving to the world that I can overcome this.  then I’ll have a head shaving ceremony to  “ emerge from the chrysalis “  as it were  and emerge back into the world as a bald bold confident man !