Author Topic: when is it time to put the hat aside?  (Read 17471 times)

Offline Pouria007

• Sly Guy in Training
Re: when is it time to put the hat aside?
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2016, 06:45:59 AM »
Hang on to it when the sun is out .I burned my head last week  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
I went out in desert but didn't get any sunburns ,I'm not sure its due to genetics or what but I think white people's skin burns more easily because a lot of white guys in SBG are complaining about sunburns.

Offline kerryman

• Sly
  • Life is what you make of it
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2016, 08:00:49 PM »
This was new new sly heads first bit of sun and i payed the price !!You still have to be careful over skin cancer
Some men see things as they are and say why ?. I dream things things that never were and ask: why not ??

Offline nuts

• sly and bearded
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2016, 08:19:01 PM »
I'm like mrzed.  Admittedly I have been shaving for nearly 13 years but I love showing off my newly shaved dome and also put on a gel to make it a bit shinier.

However given the power of Australian sun in summer I am careful to wear a hat or other covering when outside for any period eg playing tennis, gardening.  Australia has one of the worst melanoma rates in the world.

My advice - take the hat off and be proud to be bald.  Most people won't care anyway.

nuts
Roger

Offline Quiet_Dan

• Super Sly
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2016, 06:05:45 AM »
I'm proud to be bald too! but now in Australia it is winter and thus BEANIE!!! weather! YAY! I love beanies not cos I'm bald, just cos :)
God created only a few perfect heads, the rest he covered with hair!

Offline Pouria007

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2016, 07:41:30 AM »
I'm definitely into wearing beanies in winter no matter what   :D They are awesome  :@`

Offline ThePangolin

• Sly
  • Outdoorsman, Officer, Saved by Jesus Christ
« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2016, 06:49:08 AM »
Its been a long time since this question was asked or this post was replied to, but in case there are any new viewers with a similar issue, its worth another person like myself posting that "now" is always the time to make those changes that we just aren't sure of.

I have found that the response to a bald guy wearing a hat to hide it all the time is far more likely to be occasionally negative, as opposed to a bald guy proudly accepting who he is and letting others see how he feels about himself.

There's nothing to hide from, God made each of us beautiful and if our bodies lose hair then we just accept the changes and enjoy the new look we have been given.

Offline Vash

• Be Kind For Everyone You Meet Is Fighting A Hard Battle
  • Super Sly
  • Bald, Bearded, Tattooed, Awesome!
« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2016, 03:58:40 PM »
Thanks for restarting this topic. As a regular head shaver for, wow... 15-ish years!? (wow, time flies) and a daily hat wearer i can say that I have always looked at it this way. It's a haircut and while there are some vague conventions about hair styles, there aren't really many RULES for how a person can wear their hair. Hats, on the other hand come along with rules, like not wearing them indoors and others: http://usa.thegentlemansjournal.com/guide-wearing-gentlemans-hats/.

So, I wear a hat daily, both for protection from the elements and as a part of my personal style. But, I follow the rules. I takeoff my hat indoors and since there aren't rules about haircuts, I don't feel weird about my haircut (shaved) because it's just as valid a haircut as any other. I wouldn't freak out or comment on the haircut of any of my friends, whether I like it or not, it's their haircut.

Anyway, that's how I see it.
~Vash

FB: Vashon Bench
Twitter: @gingerbeardpdx
Instagram: @gingerbeardpdx

Offline reddog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2016, 04:48:48 PM »
For me: I wash it, lather it, take time to shave it smooth, exfoliate sometimes, and condition it, so I don't want to cover it with a hat. Unless of course I'm in hot sun for extended time or in very cold weather.
Bald by choice, and loving it!

Offline ThePangolin

• Sly
« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2016, 06:21:58 PM »
That's a great point too, I would go along with that because I wear welders hats and bandanas and doorags etc, as part of personal style when playing sports or fishing hunting etc. but as you said when indoors or what not, we take off the hat if it's not appropriate. But yes the shaved ead is a hairstyle like any other. It's fine and actually cool to wear hats as a bald man, but we should never use them to hide our heads from anyone! Show that thing off!!

Offline ThePangolin

• Sly
« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2016, 07:13:21 AM »
did you join just to push hair transplants? Im pretty sure this is the second post I've seen by you pushing hair transplants... and on threads where the OP was not even interested in or requesting hair transplant information, they want help on enjoying being bald because thats the choice they made.

Offline KingofSiam

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2018, 04:14:31 PM »
The first few weeks after I shaved my head and when someone asked about it, I would just rub my head and ask them if they saw my hair, would they return it to me. It usually got a laugh and  broke the ice. Most of the time with a compliment to follow. The only person to not like it immediately was my mom. Now though, she's used to it and compliments me too.

Enter your email address: