Author Topic: Help...thinning hair not sure if i should cut it all off?  (Read 15157 times)

Offline johnguy1199

• Learning the way of Sly
Help...thinning hair not sure if i should cut it all off?
« on: November 01, 2006, 02:12:30 AM »
For a long time now i've had thin hair. It's just got to a point where i get frustrated in fixing it to try to make sure no scalp is shown. I don't know if i have an egg shaped head either to be honest. In fact, i'm kinda nervous about how i'll look...can anyone offer a suggestion? I think maybe instead of going completely shaved..i'll first go as short to the skin as i can go.

Offline yep_yep

• Sly
Re: Help...thinning hair not sure if i should cut it all off?
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2006, 02:18:21 AM »
Well it's hard to suggest anything 'cause you didn't send a picture...

gearhedguy

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2006, 04:55:21 AM »
No matter what the shape is of a guy's head, I think it is far better to either shave it or give it a close buzz than to wear a hair style where you are trying to cover up the bald spots. I speak from experience because I did the "cover up" thing for quite a few years. And let's face it, most everyone knows you are trying to hide the fact that you are balding. You really aren't fooling anyone. I think accepting the facts, not covering up, and either shaving or buzzing, shows far more self-confidence than the cover-up. And far more people are attracted to self-confidence. . . I'd rather be bald than be a Donald Trump where everyone is laughing behind my back. I worked with a guy who sported a SEVERE comb-over and seeing him every day is what made me realize that it was better to shave and be bald. Be bald, be proud.  :)

Offline PigPen

• Single... and lovin it baby!
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2006, 06:48:03 AM »
First of all, welcome to the forum johnguy1199. I agree with gearhedguy, at least give it a close buzz then you'll have a better idea what it would be like if you had no hair at all. Embrace what Mother Nature has begun, and beat her to the punch all in the same stroke.

BBC

Blader for life!!!

Be Bald, Be Proud...
In a bacon and eggs breakfast, the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed. BE THE PIG!!!

Offline johnguy1199

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2006, 07:07:40 AM »
Well it's hard to suggest anything 'cause you didn't send a picture...
Ok, good idea...here's a pic of me with the thinning hair thing showin' lol....

The thinning on my top-side of the head makes in person me feel as if i have a large forhead. Also, you can't tell but i'm thinning on the top-back part as well.
I don't mind criticisms...so please feel free to say whatever...i'm not the type who cares to get upset lol. So do i have a normal head for this task??

« Last Edit: November 01, 2006, 07:15:35 AM by johnguy1199 »

Offline johnguy1199

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2006, 07:21:27 AM »
No matter what the shape is of a guy's head, I think it is far better to either shave it or give it a close buzz than to wear a hair style where you are trying to cover up the bald spots. I speak from experience because I did the "cover up" thing for quite a few years. And let's face it, most everyone knows you are trying to hide the fact that you are balding. You really aren't fooling anyone. I think accepting the facts, not covering up, and either shaving or buzzing, shows far more self-confidence than the cover-up. And far more people are attracted to self-confidence. . . I'd rather be bald than be a Donald Trump where everyone is laughing behind my back. I worked with a guy who sported a SEVERE comb-over and seeing him every day is what made me realize that it was better to shave and be bald. Be bald, be proud.  :)
Thanks for the advice guys...makes me feel better. :)

Offline yep_yep

• Sly
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2006, 07:49:26 AM »
Your head looks great for shaving, ideal size and shape.

Offline johnguy1199

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2006, 08:14:15 AM »
Your head looks great for shaving, ideal size and shape.
Thanks..i appreciate the feedback. I also am glad to have found the site.

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2006, 09:14:29 AM »
Thanks..i appreciate the feedback. I also am glad to have found the site.

Welcome to Sly Bald Guys johnguy1199.  I echo what the others have said.  Give it a shot and shave it or buzz it off.  Your haircut is already pretty short and will only take a couple of weeks to grow back if you really don't like it, but I'm pretty sure you will  ;)
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

BaldRob

« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2006, 03:34:51 PM »
For a long time now i've had thin hair. It's just got to a point where i get frustrated in fixing it to try to make sure no scalp is shown. I don't know if i have an egg shaped head either to be honest. In fact, i'm kinda nervous about how i'll look...can anyone offer a suggestion? I think maybe instead of going completely shaved..i'll first go as short to the skin as i can go.

I know your pain... and I think all of us went through it at one point before taking the plunge.  I went for years with trying to make it look like I had more hair than I really had.  It even took me a couple of periods of time shaving and then not shaving before I decided on the lifestyle change that is baldness.  I've been shaving this time for over 2 1/2 years and I'll never stop shaving again.

Give it a shot... it may feel weird at first, but once you embrace your baldness, you'll be a much happier man!!

Offline Robmeister

• The Duke of SLY
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
  • I'm not this handsome in real life
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2006, 06:56:12 PM »
Yeah....to me, it would be a no brainer if I was thinning and/or facing the comb-over.   Chromedome will be much better.

I'm in a situation where I still have full coverage and only minimal widows peak at age 44.  My dad still has a full head of silver hair at age 82.

That's why it's been a bit of a challenge warming up the wifey-poo to the idea of the plate action.  But with the help of all the nice guys on this forum and my sharing their postings with her...she's warming up.  So we made a deal that when I lose 15lbs, I shave the cap without further protest and with the open mind to give it a week or two.   And--as a few of you have reminded me (and her)--it will grow back very quickly in the event that my baldness causes unbridled ostracization by friends, family and society at large  ;)

Listen to me, I've turned this discussion to ME..... ::)

JohnGuy.....go for it!  I bet when the shadow blends in and you follow all the great advice here at SlyBaldGuys.....you'll most likely NEVER go back and NEVER have regrets.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2006, 07:05:48 PM by Robmeister »

Offline Professor Melon

• Professor Melon
  • Super Sly
  • Professor Melon
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2006, 10:56:37 AM »
 :) Ahoy, Johnnyguy1199! Please read the previous discussion with Texbeard. As to your unapologetically bald future: you have a fine head for the look because of your strong eyes, eyebrows, and chin. As one of the guys remarked, you can either succumb slowly to your genetic fate or take up the razor and affirm the future. The past is past; this is a great era in which to adopt the Sly Bald persona. Dare to be who you really [and already] are. Spare yourself the delusion that comb-overs, "systems" [ that is, toupees], and trnasplants ever work. If you don't like the result of getting totally clean, you can always regrow what you now have. Many of us waited far too long to embrace a bold, bald, adult appearance; the sooner you do it and get accustomed to it, the sooner your anxiety level will drop. No woman hung up on the Fabio look is worth having. Let us know your decision. Best of luck, Professor Melon
Embrace the bald truth