Author Topic: SAFETY Razor Shave of the Day (SOTD)  (Read 741638 times)

Offline 120inna55

• Ultimate Sly Guy
    • 120inna55
Re: SAFETY Razor Shave of the Day (SOTD)
« Reply #2040 on: April 12, 2018, 08:37:10 PM »
Ariana & Evans - NYC
PerFect Woodworks Infinity Brush | MAC Metalworks Synthetic 28mm
Ever-Ready SE | Gem PTFE
Barrister and Mann - Rhapsody

Offline 120inna55

• Ultimate Sly Guy
    • 120inna55
« Reply #2041 on: April 14, 2018, 08:42:33 PM »
Barrister and Mann - Lime | Lavender | Cedarwood
Rubberset 200-4 | Omega Boar
Ever-Ready SE | Gem PTFE
Chatillon Lux - Lavande Poivre EdT

Offline 120inna55

• Ultimate Sly Guy
    • 120inna55
« Reply #2042 on: April 16, 2018, 07:48:39 PM »

Phoenix Shaving - Oubliette Synergy SE
BSB-Ti | HMW Extra Dense
Ever-Ready SE | Gem PTFE

(Once again, I couldn't decide on which pic to use.)

Offline 120inna55

• Ultimate Sly Guy
    • 120inna55
« Reply #2043 on: April 19, 2018, 04:59:42 AM »
Van Yulay - Red Dawn
Kent V8
Ever-Ready SE | Gem PTFE

Van Yulay's tallow and clay base is laden with skin nourishing ingredients, and I've been a fan for a couple years, now.  Theirs is the best use of clay since Stirling's retired base, but it has a much wider water tolerance.  That said, where I might typically advise pushing the water, I've found many people make the mistake of neglecting to load enough product when it comes to Van Yulay.  Furthermore, you don't have to work this lather for long, revisiting the water periodically to achieve its optimal state.  It's almost instant lather, and you know it when you get it, but it happens sooner than other clay-based soaps I've used.  The pay-off is a dense but compact, creamy, super shiny paintable lather.  When you get that, quit playing with it, and start shaving.  First swipe and residual slickness are both above average, and the post-shave is always phenomenal.

When you say "Red Dawn" to me, I think of the depressing 1980s disaster flick staring the expected headliners (Patrick Swayze, Charlie Sheen, Lea Thompson, C. Thomas Howel, and Harry Dean Stanton).  However, apparently Van Yulay was working up a different angle, attempting to convey the feeling of daybreak in the woods with a full day of mental cleansing tree felling ahead.  I am intimately familiar with that feeling, and this accord captures it quite well.

Skip the off-the-tub whiff, unless you like gasoline...on second thought, you know you like the smell of gasoline, so take a big whiff.  I kid. The chemical flash is there, but it's faint, and when you lather it, that burns off within seconds and is anything but a novelty fragrance.  That initial vaporous scent steps right into a crisp cedar.  With further distribution of the lather, darker damp and more resinous woods invade, but ultimately oakmoss prevails.  Red Dawn tries to come off as an oriental but settles closer to a woody fougère.  It never becomes murky, but rather maintains a slightly green undertone with any earthiness being an extension of the moss. In the middle there's a surprising peppery note that's reminiscent of shredded Virginia Creeper vines.  It's this peculiar note that spices up the accord, effectively disrupting my ability to declare this fragrance's placement.  However, the note definitely belongs here. These notes could easily become convoluted and thick, yet the overall accord has something just shy of iciness, thereby keeping true to the image of a crisp early morning in the woods.  A coffee note would probably be too much, but you may feel inclined to have a cup during your shave.

Most of the time, Van Yulay's alcohol-free splashes initially have a distinct musky creamy impression that abates quickly, relenting to the intended accord.  However, in this flavor, whatever is being used as the "gasoline" note mitigates this creamy base scent and ushers in the cedar, then oakmoss and so on. 

Even if you relate more to the 80s verge-of-apocalypse flick as opposed to an early morning tree cutting, if you like woody mossy fragrances, you'll probably like Red Dawn.  In terms of an associated finishing fragrance, it would work equally well with a spicy oriental as well as a woody fougère depending on which way you lean.

Offline 120inna55

• Ultimate Sly Guy
    • 120inna55
« Reply #2044 on: April 20, 2018, 09:37:52 PM »
Van Yulay - 420
Phoenix Shaving - The Green Ray | Tribble Synthetic
Ever-Ready SE | Gem PTFE

Offline 120inna55

• Ultimate Sly Guy
    • 120inna55
« Reply #2045 on: April 24, 2018, 08:07:59 PM »
Viking Soap & Cosmetic - Ragnar
Wolf Whiskers | Raptor | Black Wolf
Ever-Ready SE | Gem PTFE
Creed | Aventus (17N01)

Offline 120inna55

• Ultimate Sly Guy
    • 120inna55
« Reply #2046 on: April 27, 2018, 05:48:26 AM »
Movie Night SOTD
Lather Bros. - Gauntlet
PerFect Woodworks Infinity Brush | MAC Metalworks Synthetic 28mm
Ever-Ready SE | Gem PTFE

Offline 120inna55

• Ultimate Sly Guy
    • 120inna55
« Reply #2047 on: April 28, 2018, 05:59:03 PM »
Phoenix Shaving - Organism 46b
DrivenLegend Red & Black | APShaveCo Tuxedo 30mm   
Radio 1912 | Gem PTFE

Organsim 46b opens with a distinct Grand Marnier and cocoa vibe. Later, the sweetness of the liqueur mellows a bit revealing cured tobacco, but it remains boozy all the while.  The splash presents the same way, except it's a bit more of the bitter orange.  It unfolds similarly, but the dry down is interesting.  The sweetness transforms to something reminiscent of warm caramel without the buttery note. Then there's a brief powdery element followed by a gentle, sustained cool ethereal essence.  It's quite a ride!

Offline 120inna55

• Ultimate Sly Guy
    • 120inna55
« Reply #2048 on: April 30, 2018, 06:55:03 PM »
Acqua di Parma Collezione Barbiere
BSB-Ti | HMW Extra Dense
Ever-Ready SE | Gem PTFE
Acqua di Parma Colonia

Offline 120inna55

• Ultimate Sly Guy
    • 120inna55
« Reply #2049 on: May 02, 2018, 09:01:02 PM »
Talbot Shaving - Buttery Brook
Ever-Ready SE | Gem PTFE
Mickey Lee Soapworks - Réunion

I'm pressed for time tonight, so I'll be a bit more brief than my usual ramblings.  Buttery Brook was described by Talbot as being "a fresh and green springtime scent. A bright green top gives way to a grassy earth profile underneath".  This description really understates it and omits a couple elements that were quite prominent to my nose.  Certainly, Buttery Brook opens brightly, but I detect an indefinable note that is gently and naturally sweet and simultaneously sharp.  This elusive note is almost floral and almost citrus, yet neither.  It does get more green, grassy, and earthy as the shave progresses, but it's never dirty or murky.  Of the three Talbot Shaving soaps I own (including Holland Glen and Howick Hall), Buttery Brook seems to be the more strongly scented.  That doesn't translate as overpowering or unnatural, mind you.  This soap base has been tweaked and it's possible it allows the intended accord to shine through more prominently.  There is some common, yet pleasant, element among Holland Glen and Howick Hall that I assume is the base.  I do not detect this creamy element in Buttery Brook.  In terms of any differences in the base, I ultimately didn't notice anything that impacts the shave.  It seems marginally firmer, but loads just as easily.  The water tolerance and requirements seem roughly the same.  More importantly, the glide, protection, and post-shave are unchanged in my opinion.  When I heard a new base was forthcoming, I balked.  I couldn't see how the base could be changed for the better as it was already outstanding, and I'm happy this new base is at least as good.  It's possible after a few more uses I may pick up on more subtle aspects that were improved upon, but when a base is at this level, it's impossible to make huge leaps in performance and difficult to make even incremental ones.

Offline 120inna55

• Ultimate Sly Guy
    • 120inna55
« Reply #2050 on: May 04, 2018, 05:22:03 AM »
May The Fourth Be With You
Ruds Suds - The Dark Side (by Catie's Bubbles)
DrivenLegend Red & Black | APShaveCo Tuxedo 30mm
Ever-Ready 1912 | Delta Echo | Gem PTFE

Offline 120inna55

• Ultimate Sly Guy
    • 120inna55
« Reply #2051 on: May 06, 2018, 12:59:43 PM »
Declaration Grooming + Chatillon Lux Parfums | Santal Auster
Ever-Ready SE | Gem PTFE
Chatillon Lux Parfums | Santal Auster Parfum Extrait

Offline 120inna55

• Ultimate Sly Guy
    • 120inna55
« Reply #2052 on: May 10, 2018, 08:19:04 PM »
Catie's Bubbles | Revolution
Ever-Ready 100T | Elite Razor Manchurian
Star 1912 | Gem PTFE

The Catie's Bubbles Haitian Vetiver Trilogy is complete!  While 322, The Dark Side, and now, Revolution all share a distinct and prevailing Haitian vetiver, they showcase it quite differently.  322 is a dark, smoky, and mossy fragrance that's interrupted by a perverse dry merlot by way of black currant.  Ruds Suds' The Dark Side is also smoky vetiver-forward that's corrupted with bitter coffee, and in a most sinister fashion, wisps back into the vetiver before insidiously succumbing to an indefinable resinous accord.

With profiles like these, what could Revolution possibly bring to the table?  I anticipated something that would top the aforementioned, but instead, Revolution grounds them.  Revolution is from a simpler time in which frivolous complexities are stripped away in favor of an almost austere and noble smoky vetiver that's very nearly toppled by sharp cedar.  The soap maintains this duality throughout the shave, but the splash is quite surprising, opening first with a sharp aromatic aged cedar.  After about 20 minutes, the Haitian vetiver infiltrates and sustains its presence, but the cedar never drops off.  I can't comment on the EdP (apparently not an extrait this time) because I apply the fragrance the morning following night shaves.  My hope is that it's the same presentation as the splash only with a more protracted development.

Catie's Bubbles does Haitian vetiver in a bold, unapologetic fashion.  I naturally gravitate to these types of fragrances.  Of the trilogy, 322 will probably remain my favorite because I'm particularly drawn to the foreboding overripe fruit element.  That said, if mossy, murky merlot isn't your thing, you might consider the coffee-injected brother in The Dark Side.  However, if you want to clean up, you choice is obvious in the refined, elegant, but uncompromising Revolution.

Offline 120inna55

• Ultimate Sly Guy
    • 120inna55
« Reply #2053 on: May 13, 2018, 06:44:06 AM »
Declaration Grooming | Chatillon Lux - Colonia Balsamica
APShaveCo. Elegant Emerald | SynBad 24mm
Ever-Ready SE | Gem PTFE

Offline 120inna55

• Ultimate Sly Guy
    • 120inna55
« Reply #2054 on: May 15, 2018, 04:52:53 AM »
Barrister and Mann | Beaudelaire
APShaveCo. Elegant Emerald | SynBad 24mm
Gem Heavy Flat Top | Gem PTFE

Barrister and Mann's Beaudelaire ages remarkably well.  Both the soap and the splash get more leathery as they mature. If you haven't used your Beaudelaire in a while, revisit it and see what it's become.

Enter your email address: