Author Topic: SAFETY Razor Shave of the Day (SOTD)  (Read 741730 times)

Offline 120inna55

• Ultimate Sly Guy
    • 120inna55
Re: SAFETY Razor Shave of the Day (SOTD)
« Reply #2055 on: May 16, 2018, 07:20:26 PM »
Lather Bros. Soaps | Miami Mojito
APShaveCo. Elegant Emerald | SynBad 24mm
Ever-Ready SE | Gem PTFE

Offline 120inna55

• Ultimate Sly Guy
    • 120inna55
« Reply #2056 on: May 18, 2018, 06:03:32 AM »
Movie Night SOTD
Van Yulay - Merc
DrivenLegend Red & Black | APShaveCo Tuxedo 30mm
Ever-Ready 1912 | Delta Echo | Gem PTFE

Offline 120inna55

• Ultimate Sly Guy
    • 120inna55
« Reply #2057 on: May 20, 2018, 07:01:23 AM »
Barrister's Reserve | Classic
Phoenix Shaving - The Green Ray | Tribble Synthetic
Ever-Ready SE | Gem PTFE
Gillette Sun Up Cologne

Offline 120inna55

• Ultimate Sly Guy
    • 120inna55
« Reply #2058 on: May 21, 2018, 07:41:44 PM »
Carnavis & Richardson / Catie's Bubbles | Porch Drinks
Ever-Ready SE | Gem PTFE
Carnavis & Richardson / Chatillon Lux | Les Boissons sur le Porche
Carnavis & Richardson / Catie's Bubbles | Dranks

Offline 120inna55

• Ultimate Sly Guy
    • 120inna55
« Reply #2059 on: May 24, 2018, 04:47:37 AM »
Barrister and Mann - 42
Wolf Whiskers | Raptor | Black Wolf
Ever-Ready SE | Gem PTFE

I'm observing Towel Day early because it otherwise conflicts with Movie Night. Regardless, I hardly need an excuse to use 42.

Offline 120inna55

• Ultimate Sly Guy
    • 120inna55
« Reply #2060 on: May 25, 2018, 08:34:35 AM »
Movie Night SOTD
Phoenix Shaving | Han Polo
Ever-Ready SE | Gem PTFE

Offline Goatee

• Bald and Proud to be!
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #2061 on: May 26, 2018, 03:20:14 PM »
Guys, looking to get back to DE shaving. Need good recommendations as to what razor / blade. Also, best setup, application and finish. Ta

Offline 120inna55

• Ultimate Sly Guy
    • 120inna55
« Reply #2062 on: May 27, 2018, 04:26:22 PM »
Catie's Bubbles - V
Ever-Ready SE | Gem PTFE

Offline 120inna55

• Ultimate Sly Guy
    • 120inna55
« Reply #2063 on: May 30, 2018, 04:59:24 AM »
Ariana & Evans | Spartacus
DrivenLegend Red & Black | APShaveCo Tuxedo 30mm
Ever-Ready SE | Gem PTFE
Stirling Soap Co. | Executive Man
Creed | Aventus 16D01

I asked Peter if he'd consider doing an Aventus homage utilizing his premium goat's milk and lanolin soap base.  He proposed there wasn't much demand for it given the current market saturation of Aventus-type fragranced soaps.  Regardless, he made one for me, and I'm honored.  I told him he may find there's more interest than he realizes because among the current offerings, few share the performance level of his base.

I think Peter's still mucking around with his recipe, but fortunately he hasn't taken any steps backward.  Spartacus' loading is a bit sticky if you skimp on the initial water.  The result is that Declaration-esque marshmallow cream load which I love because it makes the lather build so predictable.  If you do choose to load in this fashion, I dare you try to drown it.  My hard water couldn't do it.  Instead I was rewarded with more and more volume and finally a dense, slick, shiny base that I associate with good use of clay.  First pass and residual slickness are both stellar and post shave is equally outstanding.  As with A&E's previous iterations of this goat's milk and lanolin base, the post-shave feel seems to ramp up a couple hours later.  So, if you think your skin feels good immediately following the shave, just wait---it gets better.

Much like the batch variations of authentic Creed Aventus EdP, the various Aventus-type soaps have diverse openings.  For instance, Stirling's "Executive Man" opens with a more fruity pineapple while Viking's "Ragnar" showcases ripe apple.  Spartacus, instead starts with a rather bright bergamot.  All of these eventually settle into the unmistakable Aventus accord which is pineapple and subdued bitter citrus followed by sensual black currant, oakmoss, smoky sweet patchouli, and musk with subtle hints of spicy vanilla. Spartacus is on the darker end of the Aventus spectrum, and I immediately knew I needed to finish this off with my darker Aventus EdP.  The Stirling splash did take if off the rails temporarily with its fruity opening, but Darkventus 16D01 reigned it in.

Full disclosure, Peter surprised me with this soap out of the genuine kindness inherent to him.  He didn't ask for anything in return, and that includes my comments which are offered free of attached strings.  While he's stated he doesn't think there's demand for a full release of Spartacus, I suspect he'll be proven wrong if the word gets out.

Offline 120inna55

• Ultimate Sly Guy
    • 120inna55
« Reply #2064 on: May 31, 2018, 08:41:49 PM »

Ariana & Evans | Summer Fig
Ever-Ready SE | Gem PTFE
Chatillon Lux | Colbeck

Just the mention of fig brings back bizarre childhood memories from Summers spent in my home town of Texas City.  My demented aunt would chase off the neighborhood kids as they attempted to harvest fruit from her prized fig tree. I, of course, was granted full and favorable access to said fruit, and my propensity for overindulgence resulted in the inevitable gastrointestinal reprisal. Aside from that, I'm acutely familiar with what the actual ripe fruit smells like, and there was only one way I could imagine that translating to a soap fragrance. At this point, Peter Charkalis should be fully aware of my aversion to fruity fragrances, yet he insisted I give it a try.  I already had my rant prepared, and it involved berating him for churning out an excessively sweet and fruity accord while calling it "masculine".  Much to my surprise, Summer Fig utilizes and even showcases a realistic rounded fig note, but it doesn't dwell on it.  Instead, the fig is gently intertwined with elegant jasmine but stops short of being fruity or floral. In fact, the accompaniment masterfully veils the individual notes such that bitter and sharp citrus are softened and darkened by sandalwood and oakmoss.  The mellow fig is nestled in the middle, and finally rounded off by a civilized amount of musk.  This fragrance is conspicuously familiar, but there's not a single product in my den that smells quite like it. Summer Fig is a masculine, nostalgic fragrance that, despite its complexity, avoids being weighty, and I imagine a paired splash or EdP would be quite wearable in the warmer months.  Since I don't yet have the splash, I opted for cool crisp Colbeck in an attempt to mitigate the sweltering triple-digit temps in East Texas.  I will be picking up the splash when these are released Saturday.

Offline 120inna55

• Ultimate Sly Guy
    • 120inna55
« Reply #2065 on: June 02, 2018, 07:53:34 PM »
Van Yulay - Smoking Hot Pineapple
PerFect Woodworks Infinity Brush | MAC Metalworks Synthetic 28mm
Ever-Ready SE | Gem PTFE
Creed | Aventus 17N01

Offline 120inna55

• Ultimate Sly Guy
    • 120inna55
« Reply #2066 on: June 04, 2018, 08:42:07 PM »
L&L Grooming - Blackberry Blossom Bay
Rubberset 200-4 | Omega Boar
Ever-Ready SE | Gem PTFE
Chatillon Lux - Blackberry Blossom Bay

Offline 120inna55

• Ultimate Sly Guy
    • 120inna55
« Reply #2067 on: June 07, 2018, 05:02:06 AM »
Barrister and Mann | Leviathan
Ever-Ready 100T | Elite Razor Manchurian
Ever-Ready SE | Gem PTFE

Leviathan was my first Barrister and Mann love, but it didn't start out that way.  I was initially repulsed by it as was my wife.  However, by the end of the day, I was missing it, and my wife became drawn to it as well.  Someone explained that my nose had "received an education." This unique primal, musky accord has become a very seductive fragrance for me.  Despite coffee being an advertised note, I very rarely detect it, and when I do, it's fleeting.  I suspect the coffee note fuses with the leather resulting in something peculiarly animalic and feral.  Leviathan paints a vivid picture of an abandoned dark wood-laden chamber replete with carefully preserved remains of exotic ancient beasts, over-sized leather upholstered chairs and enormous leather-bound books strewn about as if the prior occupants vanished in terror.

Offline lloydrm

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #2068 on: June 08, 2018, 05:38:55 PM »
Guys, looking to get back to DE shaving. Need good recommendations as to what razor / blade. Also, best setup, application and finish. Ta
I would highly recommend Rockwell https://rockwellrazors.com
I have more razors than I am willing to count and rockwell is outstanding. Very versatile and the best for head shaving.
There are many good blades. I like Voskhods, Gillette Silver Blues (easy to get them on amazon or ebay) and my favorite is the Iridium Super, but those are harder to find. 
My favorite soap at the moment is oleo soapworks. I am enjoying Omega boar brushes, particularly the 49 (custom handle). I like to finish with home made oil blend or shea butter.

Offline 120inna55

• Ultimate Sly Guy
    • 120inna55
« Reply #2069 on: June 08, 2018, 06:16:42 PM »
Barrister and Mann | Roam (2016)
Ever-Ready SE | Gem PTFE