Author Topic: Being confidently bald in high school~  (Read 11384 times)

Offline baldhighschooler

• Sly Guy in Training
Being confidently bald in high school~
« on: April 16, 2014, 11:10:47 PM »
This post is primarily about building confidence if you are young and bald. Other issues might be hinted at however.

Since you guys helped me, I am writing this post for anybody dealing with hair loss age 14 and up for any reason. Or even if your confidence is being dragged down by other issues. Personal loss, home life standard, appearance issues, soso.

This one is for the young ones.

I went bald at 14. That can really put a drag on your teenage years. A series of misfortunate events, and the loss of a few dear family members made baldness the icing on the cake for me.

So here are a few tips for those of you who are still children, and going through this.

1. People are going to stereotype you. Break the stereotypes. Bald has been synonymous with toughness. Being masculine. Being strong. But what if you're soft like me? There are tons of things you can do to break stereotypes made of you. The best way is to talk to people, and just be you. You'll find yourself not even caring about your hairline.

2. Dress to your personality. It can give you real flare, and expresses who you are. Don't make style choices solely based on your bald head. You'll fall into the crowd. I'm an art brain, so I wear a pink polo with slacks and a beret. It works amazingly for me because people get an idea of my personality before I even say anything.

3. If you feel too young to go 100% bald (A.K.A. 14-18 for me..) Keeping a bit of head stubble can work well for you. Thinning, small bald spots, and recession can very easily 'disappear' in a forest of stubble. I keep a stubbly head sometimes at Norwood six. It works pretty well. It's too bad I missed the ball when I was just receding. That would have looked really cool.

4. Find a cool hat for school events..Unfortunately, I can't find a way around this one. I find myself being ID'd by police every time I go to a dance.. That is one of the worst things you can go through in the heat of the moment. One minute, you're partying out with your friends or your sweetheart, and the next a security guard or police officer is eyeballing and calling you over to him. He breaks up your group and asks for your temps. This always creates a scene. I get ID'd walking in and out of school and dances without my hat.

5. Find a bald buddy! 20% of men go bald in their teens. Make friends with somebody going through your blight. Chances are, you'll be able to relate quite well, and you'll stop worrying about your hairline. Two of my friends have receding hairlines.

6. Buy a few video games or movies with bad@$$ bald protagonists. God of War, Hitman, Riddick.

7. Be playfully bald. Wear a silly hat to school one day. Let your best friend use you as a crystal ball for entertainment. The possibilities are endless, and you'll find the outcomes hilarious.

8. Don't let being bald run your life. People will begin to identify you with it, but in the end, you are you, not your hairline.

Mirror mirror on the wall, who is the baldest of them all?

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Re: Being confidently bald in high school~
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2014, 11:51:09 PM »
What.....an......awesome....post!...Thanks for sharing, BHS and thanks for checking back in....Graduation for you should be right around the corner, right? Anyway, enjoy the rest of the school year! P@^
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline Semi-Sly

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2014, 12:01:16 AM »
Wow. great post.  I wish I had half of your wisdom when I was your age.  It has taken me 60 years to get to this!

Offline stasiu

• Ultimate Sly Guy
  • All dressed up & no hair to go !
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2014, 07:00:16 AM »
Awesome Post !

Offline Mike E. P.

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2014, 07:08:07 AM »
I love the photo and admire your outlook and confidence. What great advice, a lot of which can be adapted for any age, especially number 5. Finding friends in a similar position is always going to be helpful.

Thanks, for posting this!
Bronx bald and bred!

Offline baldhighschooler

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2014, 02:22:42 PM »
Thanks everyone for the positive feedback :D. Men like to play baldness off, but in reality, It's a nasty thing to go through when you feel 18 and the world expects you to be 40. I hope this post spreads so that others who dealt with, or are dealing with this right out of puberty can develop their confidence asap. Being confident in one's own appearence, especially for an artist, is half the battle. The other half is learning how little the appearence actually represents.
Mirror mirror on the wall, who is the baldest of them all?

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2014, 04:19:00 PM »
... when you feel 18 and the world expects you to be 40.

You could be describing me with that phrase.   :D

Excellent post.  I'm glad to see that you've adjusted so well.  It's a bit rough to go through at such an early age but the payoff will occur when your contemporaries eventually go through this, long after it has ceased to be an issue for you.

Offline Hingatao

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2014, 07:26:53 PM »
I wish I'd had your confidence when I was your age.
Hair is over rated.

Offline DannyBoy

• Sly
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2014, 01:06:41 PM »
Wish i had your confidence when i started at 16 thankfully it wasnt noticeable yet when i was still at school i cant imagine what i would of been like but still...i stopped worrying at 18 but i still wish i had the confidence i wasnt fully shaving my head yet i was like on a number 4 or something when i had the "f**k it" attitude at 18 (it wasnt at its worse at this point i mean im still losing it now but i wish i was like how i am now) my hair slowly got shorter for years until the obvious length now which took until about december to do...i was like a number 2 for sometime now im a number 1 not much different i just look "cleaner" now but good on you for being positive.

"Don't let being bald run your life. People will begin to identify you with it, but in the end, you are you, not your hairline."
« Last Edit: May 26, 2014, 01:15:20 PM by DannyBoy »
It is only a problem if YOU make it a problem.

Offline K5mow

• Super Sly
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2014, 01:20:55 PM »
Great post.

Roger
Have a great Day.

Roger

Offline AJ Q-Ball

• Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Bald Head and Full Beard: Awesome combination
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2014, 04:53:04 PM »
Like others have said, it's hard to deal with going bald that young.  It was hard enough on me and I am in my 20s.

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2014, 11:05:43 AM »
I love posts like this!! Thanks for sharing with us.
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline AgentBald

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2014, 12:45:39 PM »
right on, bro!
"What we do in life, echoes in eternity"

Offline Classfood

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2014, 07:28:05 AM »
I 'm also 18 years old and going bald.  I shaved my head and enjoy my new look.  I feel manly and mature with my new look.

Offline Classfood

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2014, 08:13:40 AM »
I'm also 18 and going bald.  I shaved my head and it looks great.  I feel mature and manly.  A few of my friends beginning to go bald have also shaved their heads and enjoy the new look.