Author Topic: Ugh, those damn genetics... PLEASE help  (Read 12424 times)

Offline 17yobalding

• Learning the way of Sly
Ugh, those damn genetics... PLEASE help
« on: August 05, 2007, 07:26:54 PM »
I noticed a while ago that my hair line was receeding. I got a hair cut - about an inch and a half of hair at the top and the rest is shaved. My hair line looked bad but it wasn't noticeable with the way I did my hair, and no I didn't comb over.

It sucks at this age to be like that. I really need advice on what I should do next.  I also noticed I'm receeding at the crown at the back of my head.  It doesn't look horrible, not a situation that REQUIRES a head shave.

My options are either getting a short cut with an inch or 2 of hair at the top to "play" with (it kinda worked before, although it looks really bad with my hair pushed back).

Even though it's not a horrible situation now - now is the summer, 4 weeks to go before school starts. If I'm going to do it, it's going to be in the summer. Not during the school year when I might look ugly every day.

I don't know if I have the guts to shave my entire head off. It suits some people, but I don't know about me... my forehead's pretty big and my face is kind of big without a very strong jaw line.  I don't think I will look like a rock star if I shave it all off, more like a cancer patient.

I'm thinking about shaving it #2 or #3. But then it would probably look the way it does now when I pull back my hair and that's ugly. The hair line goes deep. Shaving it #2 or #3 would make it even more obvious, right? =/

Would #1 make it not as obvious?

I have no idea what to do with my hair and I need some help soon because I want it to at least grow back before school. Please help.

Dadillac

Re: Ugh, those damn genetics... PLEASE help
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2007, 08:31:48 PM »
Welcome to the forum. I will assume that by your name that you are 17 years old. I can relate to your issue, as I was sort of born with a receding hairline. Of course it got worse as I aged, but it was always there. It bothered me when I was younger, but I quickly realized that there was nothing I could do. I grew my hair long, parted it in the middle, and it sort of covered the recede. Now, I just don't worry too much about it. I had my hair cut to a #1 from the age of 27. I just recently started shaving and am glad that I did it. I wish that I would have done it sooner. But growing up I was catching alot of hell from my friends about my hairline, but that is just part of the teen years. Don't take anything anyone says personal, as the snide remarks come more from jealousy and them trying to make themselves feel better about thier own shortcomings. I noticed that I was getting ribbed the most by a friend who had a worse hairline than myself. He now still carries the same mullet that we had as teenagers. Sad really. Don't let the lack of hair rule your life. It just isn't that big a deal

Don

jusbnme

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2007, 09:30:47 PM »
What's up 17?  Your story is not a new one.  There have been plenty of young guys on this site that have come for advice.  Your situation is sort of similar to my own.  I noticed at an early age that my hair was thinning.  Probably somewhere around 15 or 16.  It wasn't very noticeable at first but it was enough for me to notice so I started trimming it with clippers down to a 1/4" guard and then very shortly after that to a 1/8" guard.  I wore it shaved to 1/8" for a long time.  Probably a few years.  But then as you said, I noticed that my hair was receding so much that even the 1/8" wasn't really hiding the fact that I was thinning out.  Plus I had started to develop a "goose egg" on the crown of my dome.  That's when I started taking it down to no guard at all, which I really liked.  I finally gave the totally slick look a try because I figured it can't be that much of a transition to the "no guard" look with clippers.  But I was just like you.  Worried how I would look, if trimming it down just made it worse, or how I would look if I just went for it.  I had the same misconceptions about the way my head would look totally shaved to the skin.  Everybody does.  I'm here to tell you that nobody's dome is perfect man.  But I'm willing to bet that it would look totally fine if you went all the way with it and you will probably love it.  But if you are really worried about it you can always do it in stages which is what we suggest to a lot of newbies here that are worried about the new look.  What I mean is take it down to a #1, or even go straight to no guard, and see how it looks to you.  If you think it's too short it won't take long to grow back.  But if you like it or think that it's not that bad it's not really much more of a difference to go totally "sly."  The most important thing is do what makes you happy and what makes you feel comfortable with yourself.  Good luck and keep us posted. 

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2007, 10:20:33 PM »
Hey 17, you won't know what you look like with a shaved head until you actually shave it.  I recommend shaving it now, then you have 4 weeks to grow it out and see what length of hair gives YOU the most confidence. 
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline 17yobalding

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2007, 01:03:42 AM »
You two can rock the bald look, I'm not sure if I can yet so I will have to try that out sometime. Thanks a lot for everyone's help, I'm pretty nervous but I'm definitely going to do it. I don't think I'm going to go totally bald in a while but I plan to shave my head today.

I'm gonna do it in stages, starting with #3 and seeing what it looks like. That probably wouldn't be good enough so I think I'll try #2 anyway and do #1 depending on how it all looks. I'll update later.

Offline shyslyguy

• Super Sly
  • remember! you gotta be bald to be sly!
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2007, 02:09:07 AM »
Hi 17,

Some good advice, as always, from my fellow sly-sters.  A lot of us have been where you are now & I think generally the rule of thumb is ... the more thinning or receding that you have, the shorter you should wear your hair. 
It sounds weird but, a lot of us who are now completely sly wish that we'd seen the light earlier & trimmed down at the first sign of thinning rather than trying to cover it up at all which always ends up making things look worse. That's not to say that you need to shave it all off if you are in the early stages of mpb but, do keep it as short as you feel that you comfortably can.

Welcome to SBG's by the way - whatever you decide to do I hope you stick around here as there's lots of good advice & gentle support to be had here (in fact, I really wish there had been a place around like this all those years ago when I was where you are at now!)  Anyway good luck & try to stay positive! O0
His heed was ballid, and schon as eny glas 

http://www.myspace.com/thetrombonists

Offline 17yobalding

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2007, 02:47:59 AM »
Thanks. This is definitely the best hair loss forums I've seen, people here are more practical about the whole issue.

So update time... Yeah I'm quick. And dumb as hell. I started off with 12mm clippers, it looked good and the hair line didn't look as bad as I thought it would. I was going to do #1 (3 mm), I THOUGHT I already used the clippers but no, I actually shaved some of my head completely bald. I freaked out because it was way too big of a change and it looked even more receeding (the place I accidently shaved off was right in the middle of the receeding place). I hated the way it looked, I shaved the rest of my head on #1 (3 mm) so now it looks stupid but I hope it's going to grow soon and somehow blend together, and if not then I'll just shave it all 3/12mm again...as long as that takes.

Sucks I was so unfocused but I actually like the 12 mm cut and I think the 3mm is fine too, I just can't give a real judgement because 5% of my head is bald (the most obvious place too). With everything I tried the hair line was never perfect but it didn't bother me. 12mm actually gives an ilusion it's not so deep. At least I found out with #1 that I have nicely shaped head and it's not half as bad as I thought it would be. I could've been so satisfied now but I'll get over it.

How long do you guys think it will take for that bald spot to grow to at least 3mm? I'm guessing about 5 days?
« Last Edit: August 06, 2007, 04:07:12 AM by 17yobalding »

Offline YOSP

• Super Sly
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2007, 06:00:18 AM »
Welcome younger bro...you have a couple of options buddy...

you could rock the cesaer(sp?) look like antonio banderas, you could just shave it down to a 1 or 2 with clippers, or you could take it off and go sly.

like Tyler said, you have 4 weeks to figure out what you want to do, you'll figure it out

if I could offer any advice though buddy, whatever you do, don't let it consume your life, its going to be tough, but it will make you a stronger person, i.e. confidence in yourself and acceptance of yourself

we are here to help brother, most of the guys on here can relate in one way or another, so you have support...

take care dude O0   

Offline JDog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2007, 06:12:17 AM »

To add onto all the great stories and advice all my sly bros have told you.

Life gets pretty good when you make the decision to go fully sly. You will find a confidence and happiness that you probably never knew you had.

Hair has caused nothing but hardship for men since the dawn of time. I think another Sly user has this on his tagline but I relish in the truth and power of it.

Now if a man loses the hair of his head, he is bald; he is clean

Leviticus 13:40

BALDANDRE

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2007, 09:44:33 AM »
Thanks. This is definitely the best hair loss forums I've seen, people here are more practical about the whole issue.

So update time... Yeah I'm quick. And dumb as hell. I started off with 12mm clippers, it looked good and the hair line didn't look as bad as I thought it would. I was going to do #1 (3 mm), I THOUGHT I already used the clippers but no, I actually shaved some of my head completely bald. I freaked out because it was way too big of a change and it looked even more receeding (the place I accidently shaved off was right in the middle of the receeding place). I hated the way it looked, I shaved the rest of my head on #1 (3 mm) so now it looks stupid but I hope it's going to grow soon and somehow blend together, and if not then I'll just shave it all 3/12mm again...as long as that takes.

Sucks I was so unfocused but I actually like the 12 mm cut and I think the 3mm is fine too, I just can't give a real judgement because 5% of my head is bald (the most obvious place too). With everything I tried the hair line was never perfect but it didn't bother me. 12mm actually gives an ilusion it's not so deep. At least I found out with #1 that I have nicely shaped head and it's not half as bad as I thought it would be. I could've been so satisfied now but I'll get over it.

How long do you guys think it will take for that bald spot to grow to at least 3mm? I'm guessing about 5 days?

Welcome 17....from the sounds of it, you just aren't used to the look on yourself and maybe not ready to go for such a big change, your hair will even out a bit in a couple days...

keep your hair buzzed once it's all evened, keeping it short will help you get used to the fact that you may have a slick , smooth shaved head....

You'll find it's one of the best things you will do for your life! O0

Offline 17yobalding

« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2007, 03:46:33 PM »
I think I'm just gonna wait until it grows to 12mm or so and keep it that length for a while because I didn't like the 3 inch "preview" to the bald look.  Now my hair (most of it) is 3mm long and the hair line is still obvious which I hate actually. Somehow it looked better when I shaved it to 12mm long, the hair was long enough to cover the receeding areas a bit and short enough not to make it look like a comb over. Not so satisfying but better than I thought.

So I don't like the 3mm length now but at least I see the shape of my head isn't that bad. Without that hair line, a shaved head could've been really nice. The chances to shave it all are higher now. Now would be the best time to go for it though so maybe tomorrow I'll somehow feel better about shaving it all off. I don't have the balls to just do it for some reason, anyway thanks for all the advice everyone. 
« Last Edit: August 06, 2007, 03:48:43 PM by 17yobalding »

BALDANDRE

« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2007, 03:52:47 PM »
Without that hair line, a shaved head could've been really nice. The chances to shave it all are higher now. Now would be the best time to go for it though so maybe tomorrow I'll somehow feel better about shaving it all off. I don't have the balls to just do it for some reason, anyway thanks for all the advice everyone. 

See dude that's the secret...you wont HAVE a hairline anymore! I used to have a HUGE forehead (when you could see my hairline)...shaving it smooth evened things out...trust me...and ask ChicoD , he thought the same thing about his forehead...now he LOVES having a completely shaved head...

I say it's in your head, go for it...9 % of the guys LOVE it when their dome is scraped smooth!

YOu'll see, good luck bro and really...don't sweat it , it's only hair...the worst thing is you don't like...you can grow it back bro.....

Offline NAVRN2

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2007, 04:26:33 PM »

Welcome!  I was in your same position.  Except maybe 18-19.  I am in the Navy and when I went to bootcamp my head was shaved with trimmers.  After that I really noticed how receded my hairline was.  I had a hard time growing it back, so I just kept it really short because it looked better.  Then I went through a phase where I wanted to grow my hair out or have it long.  I looked terrible.  I looked into plugs and systems to the point of going to consultations.  Way too expensive.  So I decided to keep it short by trimming it with no guard.  then a friend of mine said why don't you shave it all off.  I thought about it found this fine website and off it came!!!  The best decision I ever made.  I love it and so does everyone else.  Post a pic of yourself before, we will all give you and honest opinion!!

Offline Timmay

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2007, 05:23:12 PM »
Hello 17, we have all been there.  Like Tyler said shave it down to being sly ...just get rid of it.  Then you can grow it back ifyou dont liek ti slick.  Just grow it back to where you feel comfortable with it.  But if you do go slick....shaving it all the way off...please dont be so quick to judge it.  Typically it takes a bout 2 weeks for one to get use to the fact that he is shaving. Your head is very sensitive and it will take a good few shaves really get the enjoyment out of it.  If and when you do shave it all of please use good grooming tips from this forum.  You will probably want to shave it all the way down with no gaurd and then jump in a hot shower.  Let the hot water soften your hair and open your poors.  Use a GOOD NEW blade.  There are several out there ..the two most popular are the Headblade adn the Mach 3.  Also use a good shaving cream..I use the headslick which works very well along with the headblade sport.  Apply some kind of lotion to the head when you are finished.   I use an aloe vera gel that I keep in my fridge so it is nice and cold and sometimes I rinse my head after shavign with cold water then take an ice cube and rub it around your head.  It will tighten up the skin and should give you a nice slick feeling.  Just use your noggin before you do it. And if you are liek the others that were fence setters in here.. once you go slick....you will always be slick...just an awesome feelign.  Im 37 and just took the plunge about 7 weeks ago adn I love it...never going back..i shave every morning..
Good luck...ask any questions you may have no matter how minut it is

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2007, 07:19:17 PM »

[
I say it's in your head, go for it...9 % of the guys LOVE it when their dome is scraped smooth!

I'd say the percentage is a bit higher than that!!   >:D

Enter your email address: