Author Topic: Back to the buzz cut  (Read 2743 times)

Offline Feenix

• Sly Jr.
  • Like Mr Boombastic, I'm semi fantastic!
Back to the buzz cut
« on: March 03, 2019, 02:20:59 PM »
Well, time has come - I have to go back to the buzz cut.  The hair on the back of my head is so bloody thick that I can't get more than about 2 shaves out of a razor and I can't really afford it.  Which sucks.

Anyone else had this problem and have a workaround?  I dont really want to lose the wet shave, but its getting silly, lol.

Cheers

Feenix

Offline Slyguylou

• Sly Guy in Training
Re: Back to the buzz cut
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2019, 03:03:44 PM »
I'm in no way affiliated with them, but for $20 you should try the Omnishaver.

You'll find tons of testimonials out there on the web and YouTube of this lasting 7 months to 2 years.

Mine has gone a month of daily shaving and still as sharp, shaving BBS, as the day I got it.

I'd say it's worth a $20 gamble to try it.

Good luck in whichever path you choose.

Take care,
Lou

Offline Feenix

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2019, 03:07:32 PM »
Very cool!  I will definitely give this a look.

Cheers, Lou.  :)

Offline Slyguylou

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2019, 04:24:43 PM »
If you haven't stumbled on it yet, here is my review in the Omnishaver thread just a few down from this one.

Wow… just… WOW !!!!

So, I got my Omnishaver yesterday; Thursday Jan 31, ’19.

I ordered it on Monday 1/28/19 and got it Thursday, 1/31/19… so those long waits people are mentioning in this thread, (this is an old thread and those posts are old too), are apparently a thing of the past, so that’s awesome.

I bought the Premium one, which is only a few dollars more than the Classic, but from reviews and such I figured it was worth it.

From their site:

The Premium OmniShaver is almost three times the weight of the Classic model because of its' triple plated steel shaving head. This new OmniShaver is not only heavier, but it transfers captured heat to the skin's surface as the shave takes place.

Once the triple plated steel shaving head has been warmed up from the hot water, it will retain the heat throughout the shave which provides a soothing feel to the skin and helps to expand the hair follicle size so the blades can deliver as close a shave as possible.

Tried it out first thing today and… OMG WOW !!

Even being a bit tentative, I shaved 5 minutes off of my shave, (sorry… couldn’t resist, LOL), and it was as BBS as BBS can be !!  Also, no nicks, irritation or anything.  Definitely the equal of my Fusion 5, but oh SO MUCH FASTER.  As I did with the Fusion, I’m sure I’ll get even faster over time and save even more time.

This was so much better, for me, than the Headblade ATX.  I tried and tried.  I used both the 4 blades and 6 blades, and while it was faster than the Fusion, it was no where even close to being BBS… even when I simply took longer, more strokes, (making it then take longer than the Fusion actually   B@n%), it still never quite got BBS to my standards.  I know many swear by it, but maybe it’s just slightly different head shapes?

Either way, for $20 you get the Omnishaver and a little case for it.  Tons and tons of videos out there with folks saying they’ve been using the same one for 7+ months, a year, and even one guy; 2 years.  Heck, even if it lasted me the same 5’ish weeks that a pack of 4 Fusion blades lasts me… the cost is virtually the same, but I’m saving 5+ minutes every morning… that matters, to me at least.

I highly recommend that everyone give this a try… for $20 why not?  Again, like the Headblade ATX was for me, maybe others won’t get the wonderful results I got… but again… for $20 it’s worth a shot IMHO.

I’m really hoping I get the 7+ months I’m seeing in reviews, but Omnishaver is being conservative and saying 3 to 4 months.  Three months?  Twenty bucks?  Yeah… I’ll take that everyday and twice on Sunday  !B@

Take care,
Lou

Offline reddog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2019, 05:20:47 PM »
Hi Feenix, it's very hard for me to shave my sides and back. I think the hair lays very flat because the top is no problem. I shave everyday so I hit the sides and back with a Remington foil shaver first. Takes it right to the skin, and makes it easy to finish up in the shower with a razor.
Bald by choice, and loving it!

Offline Feenix

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2019, 03:23:19 AM »
Cool, reddog.

Yeah, Ive been thinking of maybe trying a shaver first - might give that a go.  :)

Offline reddog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2019, 05:41:26 AM »
Actually, you could just shave with an electric shaver. You will still be bald, but just not quite as smooth as a razor. I like it BBS, so I finish with a razor.

Offline Feenix

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2019, 01:54:39 PM »
I like the skin feeling myself.  I think I will just weather the cost.  :)

Offline PDXGuy

• Team Sly
  • Sly
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2019, 03:18:53 PM »
I have to agree I like the skin feeling as well. I have been shaving since December 12th or there about and went a few days here and there to let stubble grow in but it always feels better completely razored shaved smooth.

Offline Slyguylou

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2019, 04:36:33 PM »
I've become so addicted to the skin/BBS feeling that I've been shaving twice each day.

At 5:30am per my usual routine, and again at 5:30pm dry; no water, no shave cream, nada... just aftershave when I'm done.

Been doing this for about 3 weeks now with no irritation, pain, or negatives of any sort.

Hello, my name is Lou, and I'm a BBS junkie...

Offline chrisphilly123

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2019, 05:30:01 PM »
Cool, reddog.

Yeah, Ive been thinking of maybe trying a shaver first - might give that a go.  :)
I plan to get one, too. Anything to keep me stubble free.

Offline reddog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2019, 07:43:02 PM »
I agree Lou, gotta be BBS! Sometimes I think the feel of a smooth head is as important as the look. Yeah, love the look of a cleanly shaved head, but the totally smooth skin feel is awesome.

Offline max.b

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2019, 11:21:51 PM »
A Braun 310 costs $40 and should last you at least 6 months (a replacement head is $20). The most expensive thing about shaving is your time, by far.

Buzz cuts + male pattern balding = ugly IMO. Others might disagree though:

Offline Semi-Sly

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2019, 11:23:59 PM »
My Omnishaver just arrived in the mail tonight but I am going to be on ad driveing from Chicago to Florida over the next three days so I won't get a chance to use it until I have three days of growth on Friday

Offline chrisphilly123

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2019, 08:42:39 AM »
A  310 costs $40 and should last you at least 6 months (a replacement head is $20). The most expensive thing about shaving is your time, by far.

Buzz cuts + male pattern balding = ugly IMO. Others might disagree though:

I guess it depends on the dude. Although receding, Lewis has a lot of hair compared to most of us. If he starts to crown, he has one clear choice.