Author Topic: how many times!!  (Read 3116 times)

Offline Feenix

• Sly Jr.
  • Like Mr Boombastic, I'm semi fantastic!
how many times!!
« on: December 29, 2018, 05:30:35 AM »
Hey.

OK, slight issue Im having when shaving the back of my head.  The bit just where the back of the head starts, about an inch behind the ear - the rest of my head can be as smooth as glass, but the areas just where the back of my head start are like sandpaper, no matter how many times I go over them.  Does anyone else have an area of their head that just wont get smooth and how do you deal with that? 

Cheers

feenix

Offline balddan013

• Bald Dan
  • Learning the way of Sly
  • Like a good cigar, a bald head is a guy thing...
Re: how many times!!
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2018, 06:31:33 AM »
Hey Feenix.  Could be what I call phantom hairs.  Not hair at all.  It is skin from the hair follicle.  Feels like hair but is really dead epidermis.  Pulled out during shaving sticking out like small hairs.  Occurs around the ears and neck where there is thicker skin.  Try using some rough exfoliate scrub to remove it.

Offline Magoo

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2018, 07:45:28 AM »
Balddan has a good point, beyond that I do the best I can . Just forget any roughness, in a few hours it won’t be perfectly smooth anyway. Over due it will cause irritation and razor bumps. Being OCD about it , is not worth the effort.
If only all men lived by the "Golden Rule ."

Offline Feenix

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2018, 10:13:27 AM »
Ahhh, its not actual hair!  That makes sense.  And yes - being OCD about it is pretty pointless I guess, I just have a bit of a unit completion issue I think, lol.

Offline chrisphilly123

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2018, 01:36:08 PM »
Hey.

OK, slight issue Im having when shaving the back of my head.  The bit just where the back of the head starts, about an inch behind the ear - the rest of my head can be as smooth as glass, but the areas just where the back of my head start are like sandpaper, no matter how many times I go over them.  Does anyone else have an area of their head that just wont get smooth and how do you deal with that? 

Cheers

feenix
pull the skin tight with your non-shaving hand in the offending area. run a fresh blade a few different directions. btw, i think the hand is more sensitive than the eye in such matters.

Offline Feenix

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2019, 09:23:09 AM »
Yeah, I think thats true about the hand rather than the eye.  Ultimately I need to just chill, lol - thats anxiety for you, I guess!

Offline chrisphilly123

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2019, 10:04:59 AM »
Yeah, I think thats true about the hand rather than the eye.  Ultimately I need to just chill, lol - thats anxiety for you, I guess!

Offline slybeard

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2019, 12:21:33 PM »
We all have areas where it is nearly impossible to get smooth.  It usually has do with our bone structure making it hard for the blade to have complete contact.  Pulling the skin "over" the bone shape help get the hard areas, but I have learned if not smooth in a few passes to just leave it, or I will get razor burn.
SlyBeard

Offline chrisphilly123

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2019, 12:43:22 PM »
We all have areas where it is nearly impossible to get smooth.  It usually has do with our bone structure making it hard for the blade to have complete contact.  Pulling the skin "over" the bone shape help get the hard areas, but I have learned if not smooth in a few passes to just leave it, or I will get razor burn.
true that!

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2019, 03:28:07 AM »
@Feenix Do you shave against the grain?
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline Feenix

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2019, 07:53:09 AM »
Yup, with the grain, against the grain and across the grain.