Author Topic: Razor Bumps and irritation  (Read 2633 times)

Offline SkinnyKho

• Sly Guy in Training
Razor Bumps and irritation
« on: December 17, 2018, 08:08:24 AM »
Hi everyone,

I started shaving my head 3 months ago, because I’m balding early (21 years old).

The first shaves went great, and I didn’t have any issue.
But since 2 months now, I get razor burns all over the back and the sides of my head everytime I shave.

I have a clean routine, I start with a hot shower and massaging my scalp, then Inapply coconut oil, then I apply shaving cream and then I start shaving with the grain at first, then against. I apply a cold towel afterwards and then I apply aftershave.

I have tried using a Gilette Mach 3, a Fusion 5 Proglide and a single bladed safety razor. Same problem everytime.

Shaving my head was the solution for me to forget about the hairloss, but I can’t even shave my head without looking like Deadpool. This really taking my confidence away.

I really need some help

Thanks everyone, have a great day

Offline SkinnyKho

• Sly Guy in Training
Re: Razor Bumps and irritation
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2018, 09:40:16 AM »
Anyone? I am kind of desperate about this...

Offline slybeard

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2018, 11:42:24 AM »
How often are you shaving?  I suggest you give you skin a break for a few days.  Then exfoliate before shaving again.
SlyBeard

Offline reddog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2018, 11:57:54 AM »
I would try shaving with an electric shaver for awhile. It helped me when I started shaving. Also get some Bump Patrol, Wal-Mart has it. You can then ease back in to razor shaving.
Bald by choice, and loving it!

Offline SkinnyKho

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2018, 12:05:46 PM »
Thanks for your answers I appreciate it.

I shave every two days because I like the clean shave look.

I already did a few breaks to let my scalp heal, but it looks like the problem is still the same everytime.

Eletric shaver sounds like a good idea, I will try that for a while. But will I have to use this all my life? I mean what about people shaving against the grain everyday? I wish I could do the same!

Offline slybeard

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2018, 12:26:26 PM »
If you want to try an electric, I can recommend and Andis foil shaver.  I had one used on me by a barber, and was impressed enough to buy my own.  It is not as close as against the grain with a quality multi-blade cartridge, but it is as close as any electric I have experienced.  I estimate the smoothness is equal to 6 hours after a razor shave for me.
SlyBeard

Offline SkinnyKho

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2018, 12:48:39 PM »
Thanks for the advice I will probably get this one.

But should I go see a dermathologist? I mean a lot of guys have the same routine as me and they don't have any bumps
« Last Edit: December 17, 2018, 01:04:23 PM by SkinnyKho »

Offline slybeard

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2018, 02:11:52 PM »
You could, but a lot of guys just have sensitive skin that does not take razors very well.  Have you had similar issues with face shaving?

I also suggest you try the Bump Patrol product that Reddog recommended.  It may be OK after you skin has more time to adjust.
SlyBeard

Offline SkinnyKho

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2018, 10:05:25 AM »
Yes, same issue with my face if I shave against the grain I get bumps everywhere

Could you tell me the name of the Andis shaver you talked to me about? There is differents models.

Also did you experience such things when you started shaving? Or I just have a sensitive skin?

Offline gutsygirl

• Surviving Chronic Illness with a Smile :D
  • Sly
  • Gutsy is as Gutsy does!
    • Naturally Gutsy - surviving gastrointestinal illness with a smile!
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2019, 04:07:42 PM »
A sly bald girl replying here. I made a video to help the folks who struggle with sensitive skin. I've been mostly sly since 2012.

So here's what I've found from personal experience - if you shave once and you don't clean your razor well (I wipe mine with-the-grain on a clean towel multiple times in the opposite direction of shaving so that I'm not actually ripping the towel) and make sure it gets to air dry well.

I also use TendSkin Air Shave Gel for both my head and my legs. And I use TendSkin Solution (Liquid) as an aftershave all over my head and neck. Do this only after you've dried your skin VERY WELL or it will BURN. This reduces the bacteria and helps prevent irritation. I use the TendSkin liquid also the day after I shave on my neck and back of my head, as those are my most sensitive areas.

I don't usually shave against-the-grain on my neck or very sensitive spots. Against-the-grain is much more irritating. If you're a BBS fan, you may still be able to go against-the-grain, but you may need to change your cartridge much more often to prevent irritation.

Hope this helps.

Don't skip the prep. :) I shower first and get my head hot and wet again before I begin shaving in front of the mirror at the sink.
CRPSablaze.wordpress.com, NaturallyGutsy.com

Offline Magoo

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2019, 08:48:24 PM »
Some people can not shave ATG without getting ingrown hairs or razor bumps. Electric may work because they don’t cut as close. Some of your hairs seem to grow out on a slant instead of straight out. This may be causing ingrown hairs.
If only all men lived by the "Golden Rule ."

Offline SkinnyKho

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2019, 08:50:07 AM »
Thanks for your replys

I think I'll just buy an electric shaver...

I wish I could shave against the grain and get that smooth bald head but it looks like it ain't working for me...

Offline gutsygirl

• Surviving Chronic Illness with a Smile :D
  • Sly
  • Gutsy is as Gutsy does!
    • Naturally Gutsy - surviving gastrointestinal illness with a smile!
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2019, 06:16:42 PM »
The electric rotary shavers work for some but not for all. If you have really thick hair in other places where it isn't thinning, it could pull or cause more irritation because it trims like a weed-wacker.

But if you're really wanting to be sly, sometimes it takes a bit of trial and error. It took me about 6 months to really get a routine I liked. And I tweaked it for the next two years. Haven't tweaked it since then but looking to change it up with a new razor for variety's sake soon. :)
CRPSablaze.wordpress.com, NaturallyGutsy.com