Author Topic: Best way to shave bald head without using a razor?  (Read 31134 times)

Offline drewbizz

• Learning the way of Sly
Best way to shave bald head without using a razor?
« on: February 17, 2013, 12:26:21 PM »
Hi, I am new to the forum and everytime ive tried to shave my head bald with a razor ive gotten lots of razor bumps. i have very sensitive skin. Currently i use the Andis t-outliner to shave my head but i was wondering if there are any trimmers that cut closer than the t-outliner.

I do not want to use a razor since im sure to break out.

Any advice out there guys?

Offline greatnessinc

• One part iron man one part superman
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Semper Sly!
Re: Best way to shave bald head without using a razor?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2013, 03:25:07 PM »
The razor bumps typically are a result of shaving wrong. Shave with the grain. What's that mean? Run your hand along your head the direction that has less of a dragging feel is with the grain. While shaving against the grain will get you a closer shave, it's also more likely to cause nicks and cuts if your scalp isn't used to it yet.
"Ifyou're going through hell, just keep going"
-Winston Churchill

benlen

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2013, 03:54:26 PM »
The razor bumps typically are a result of shaving wrong. Shave with the grain. What's that mean? Run your hand along your head the direction that has less of a dragging feel is with the grain. While shaving against the grain will get you a closer shave, it's also more likely to cause nicks and cuts if your scalp isn't used to it yet.

That's good advice, but I think the biggest mistake guys make initially when shaving against the grain is pressing too hard down on the blade. It's a lot better to do quick, gentle sweeps with the razor against the grain than one hard pass that'll cause irritation and cuts.

Offline MarkMusicNYC

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2013, 09:17:27 PM »
That's good advice, but I think the biggest mistake guys make initially when shaving against the grain is pressing too hard down on the blade. It's a lot better to do quick, gentle sweeps with the razor against the grain than one hard pass that'll cause irritation and cuts.

That's true--the trick is to let the razor do all of the work.

But there's a chance that Drewbizz is a person of color. African-American guys are often very prone to razor bumps and ingrown hairs, which makes shaving with a razor very difficult even if they're applying the lightest of touches. Back when I attended barber school, I had an AA guy with bumps all over his neck who insisted on me shaving him with a straight razor. Yikes--blood everywhere. Two different teachers took a crack at it and got the same results.

Drewbizz, if that's the case with you, I'd recommend dumping the T-outliner (which is really meant for shaping and spot work anyway) and investing in an electric razor made for AA hair such as the Wahl 5-Star. This will set you back $50-$60 last I checked, so it's way cheaper than some electric razors on the market. Most of the barbers I know own one or more of this model. It won't shave you quite as close as a blade, but it's the next best thing. You might also try some of the preparations designed for razor bumps such as the Bump Stopper line.

Offline Ty1963

• Sly Jr.
  • Hi I'm Ty
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2019, 08:31:49 AM »
When I'm in a rush, I use the Braun Series 5 it is a little pricey at around  $275.00 USD, but it shaves almost as close as my Mach 5.
Hi I'm Ty I'm 55 years old my hair started thinning in my late 20s and really started thinning quickly in my late 40s I've worn a hair system for the last year and I've just decided to shave my head for 30 days and give it a try so far I like it I feel confident with my bald head. Feels great!

Offline chrisphilly123

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2019, 02:59:26 PM »
When I'm in a rush, I use the  Series 5 it is a little pricey at around  $275.00 USD, but it shaves almost as close as my Mach 5.
I'll use my Braun if I'm on vacation or camping, etc. It's just a lot easier in those circumstances. That said, I can get burn if I run it too much in the same spot.

Offline Mall-13

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2019, 06:00:04 AM »
I have just started shaving my head. I use  Series 7 foil razor and have to say i'm pretty satisfied. I don't have ''cleaning station'' yet so for me cleaning of this razor is now biggest minus. But otherwise i am glad i bought this machine :)

Offline max.b

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2019, 01:01:08 PM »
TLDR: use Braun (3-series, if you are cheap, like me)

I tried all types of razors:

1. DE razor

2. cartridge razor

3. foil (braun 3-series)

4. rotary (norelco)

I'd say foil is the best by far (you have to shave against the grain and not press too hard): the closest shave and the least irritation.

Rotary shavers don't cut as close. You still feel a bit of stubble. The advantage is that they should last longer and you can sharpen them easily (by removing the guard and using the razor on a smooth ceramic surface, according to youtube)

Cartridge razors are the best for shaving my somewhat wispy facial hair but simply can't be used on scalp hair (too much density, I think)

DE can be used on scalp hair, but it's really slow. To get a shave comparable to Braun, I'd have to go several times: with the grain, then perpendicular, then maybe even against the grain). Also the risk of nicks is much higher than with electric, so I really don't see the point.

Offline Blagadan

• Super Sly
  • Feckin' little baldy eejit!
    • My blog: Raiméis
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2019, 02:07:46 PM »
Gillette have a new blade out designed for sensitive skin, the Skinguard. I gave it a go and found it a way easier shave than with my normal Fusion. It's worth checking out.
Also, shave in the shower so you can really soak your hair and use lots of lubrication. Id recommend not shaving every day either, I find it easier with a few days growth.

Offline Semi-Sly

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2019, 11:05:58 PM »
I am still tempted to try using a razorless hair removal cream.  I have just got to find a way to get  rid of my hair so that I don't have to shave anymore!

Offline Quiet_Dan

• Super Sly
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2019, 01:18:19 AM »
I have used Nair before on my head, but that probably is rougher on the skin than shaving, but it works, and no razor, but it is a bit more time consuming
God created only a few perfect heads, the rest he covered with hair!

Offline chrisphilly123

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2019, 11:38:50 AM »
have a new blade out designed for sensitive skin, the . I gave it a go and found it a way easier shave than with my normal . It's worth checking out.
Also, shave in the shower so you can really soak your hair and use lots of lubrication. Id recommend not shaving every day either, I find it easier with a few days growth.
Just bought a pack, trying tomorrow morning.