Author Topic: How I Got Over...  (Read 3409 times)

Offline TheBaldAndBeautiful

• Sly Jr.
How I Got Over...
« on: May 04, 2010, 07:08:24 PM »
Hey, I'm back from a long overdue.  I've been gone for a while and didn't post much.  Just want to summarize my experiences.  Ever since I was a kid, I've always wanted to influence things in my own life and reflect them upon others.  As you know I wasn't the most brightest kid at the time.  Started around Kindergarten when the kids and myself were in a circle.  The teacher came and said," Let's pass around the Bunny, kids! "  The bunny was an ivory color and pretty cute too.  All turns were passed, than it came to me.  I touched it and started playing with.  Other kids got angry, because my turn was taking a bit too long.  We fought over the bunny, and took our seating.  Different problems occured during my time there.

The teacher talked with my mother about me and my behavior.  I was diagnosed with ADHD and minor dyslexic.  From then on there I was placed in a remedial classroom setting at about first-grade.  Didn't want to be there.  Cried many times, and wish of being back with my friends.  Through-out Elementary towards middle-school, than to High-school I had enough.  Being picked-on because of my inadequate learning abilities ( Which isn't true at all ), I proved to them my intelligence was worth more than the low-grade work given to me.  Even proving myself, they still stuck me in a resource environment.  Didn't learn about: Shakespeare, ample amounts of history, or any other courses that would most likely stimulate my thinking power and learning muscle.  Since there wasn't anything really to do about my situation, I skipped the classes and everything else.

The bullies were rampant as well.  Remember being called,"Tall and lanky, Tall for nothing" or," Your clothes are ugly and wack," and let's not forget," You're dumb, man. "  Use to question my existence on earth.  Why was I here anyway if I have to go through this type of mental torment.  During that year, they gave me an opportunity to be apart of a Career Preparation program.  Of course I attended it and most likely passed during the three years until 19 ( Didn't wear the cap and gown ).  The age of 19 to 20 were hard for me.  My hair was thinning!  Didn't know until stepping into the mirror of the bathroom.  So, I started wearing all sorts of chemicals in order to hide a bit of the baldness.  Didn't work at all.  Didn't stop the process.  So I gave up and let it grow out into a disgrace.

Wasn't until about 22 that I started shaving it.  At first, I wasn't sure of it.  Then I started doing it more and more.  Even more until I was unhappy with the look.  Took me a while to get over it.  But, even when getting over it, the baldness bothered me.  Use to even pray for the hair to come back, but it didn't.  One day, things changed.  Read one man's story similar to mines.  He told me about finding my purpose in life, no matter what has happened in the past or up-coming present.  Everyone has a purpose in life.  Upon creation we were destined for something greater in the world.  Use to kick myself for all of the things that happened in my life.  My insecurities about education, and the sort.  Not living up to my expectations.

One story that comes to mind about the time I went to take the ASVAB for the Navy, and not passing it.  Shook my whole faith, and confidence, because I've always wanted to become apart of the Navy traveling around the world and being a shinning beacon for the U.S. Military.  Those things never came true.  But I won't go further in that.  Want to talk about my purpose now.  Well, I've found it and it's COMPUTERs!  Love building computers, and programming them.  The mystery of the computer is quite a mystery.  Now I'm somewhat on a journey to discover what makes the computer what it is and to create a powerful component, accompanying its capabilities in order to efficiently use it better.   Pursuing my dream to gain my education in the field and my own company.  Being still young ( 24, just turned ) I can do it.  Want to change the direction in my life and tell others about my story.  So those who are going through the samething can realize they're not alone.  Going to College soon to pursue it and continue from there.

Taking back control is the key to everything my friends.  Remembering a quote from someone," Don't ever let anyone tell you can't do something." I think it was my mother, or someone.  Anyways, It sang more into my mind.  
« Last Edit: May 04, 2010, 07:24:46 PM by TheBaldAndBeautiful »

Offline Sean25

• Super Sly
  • 2010 sly fantasy football champ!
Re: How I Got Over...
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2010, 07:17:14 PM »
Awesome post man, good for you.  Taking back control starts with confidence.  It seems like anyone can really accomplish just about anything they want if they just build their confidence.  Makes you wonder if our parents were right when they would tell us we can do anything we put our minds to.  That's a bummer you weren't exactly given the easy road but you are a better and stronger person for it now.  Thanks for sharing

Offline fcb2001

• 2010 FIFA World Cup South Africa (11 June to 11 July 2010)
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Bald for Life
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2010, 08:47:26 PM »
thanks for sharing, i experienced the same issues with my thinning hairline about 7 years ago, i was very depressed, i had wanted my hair back, then i shaved as well

Offline ozzie

• Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2010, 10:12:00 PM »
Very inspirational story, B&B. Congratulations on not giving up. That is the key. O0
To conquer fear is the beginning of wisdom – Bertrand Russell

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2010, 12:06:10 PM »
awesome post!  Thanks for sharing!
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline ike_69

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2010, 04:16:33 PM »
Beautifully written.

I would like to tell you a lot of things.

Starting off with, we live in a world which is famous for STEREOTYPING people.

Never listen to some when they say "you are'nt capable"

I have been a very playful kid since childhood,

My relatives all thought ill end up being a high school drop out or something.

My cousin sister and her mother used to pass comments to my parents saying "do u think he will study?" n stuff..
She used to take pride in her own daughter and look down upon me,

But i took it in the right way, i wanted to prove a point that im not dumb.

I graduated high school with a 88.2 % overall aggregate.

Everyone was dumbstruck.

And the so called brilliant cousin sister barely scraped through.

Their family stopped speaking to ours out of shame !!!

times have passed,
Im doing my Bachelors in Economics now.

I intend going abroad for my MBA soon .

Remember this :

"When people start criticizing you( try to shun u), you can be rest assured, you are becoming Successful"