Author Topic: SAFETY Razor Shave of the Day (SOTD)  (Read 746733 times)

Offline Mike E. P.

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
Re: SAFETY Razor Shave of the Day (SOTD)
« Reply #1245 on: February 23, 2015, 06:05:41 PM »
Hey 120. The full name of the blades is Super Max Tiger. I'm not sure where I got them. They might be from Warhawk who sent me a nice sampling of blades when I first started DE shaving, but I think they may have come with my Pearl SBF 11 GB which I ordered from Amazon. I had never heard of Pearl either, but I liked the look of the razor. It didn't look like anything else I had - and the price was right. Both the Pearl and the Tigers are made in India.

I am not great at comparing blades. I feel ignorant saying this, but I can't tell he difference between most blades. That is probably because I never use the same razor. I probably should stick to one razor and then experiment with different blades? Even the Feathers which everyone seems afraid of don't seem much different from the others I've used. I get a good shave no matter what blade.

I would like to try a slant. I don't know too much about them. I am guessing you would recommend the iKon Shavecraft #102!

I enjoy your posts here and I love your photos!
Bronx bald and bred!

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #1246 on: February 26, 2015, 07:11:46 PM »
Thursday, February 26, 2015 SOTD

Razor:  Merkur 37G

Blade:  Feather

Soap:  Art of Shaving Sandalwood Soap (Tallow)

Brush:  Simpson P8

Dessert:  Ice cube rub, refrigerated WH, refrigerated Osage Rub

I had such a great shave with my iKON Stainless Steel Slant (1st Gen) that I had to break out the Merkur 37G.  Glad that I did.  The 37G is basically like the 37C but it is the gold version which Merkur does not make any more.  If you are on the fence on trying out a slant razor, I highly recommend it. 

WARHAWK O0
Tough times don't last but tough people do!!!

Offline 120inna55

• Ultimate Sly Guy
    • 120inna55
« Reply #1247 on: February 26, 2015, 07:29:27 PM »
Love your pics, Mel.

Offline mrzed

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
  • Addicted to head shaving.
« Reply #1248 on: February 27, 2015, 05:46:52 AM »
the double edged shaves are getting smoother by the day. the spots that need a touch up are getting less and less. I'm having fun learning about double edge shaving. Thanks guys for your support.

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #1249 on: February 27, 2015, 02:51:07 PM »
@120:  Thanks for your kind words, Matt.  I love yours pics, too.

@MrZed:  Thanks for checking in on your progress.  Keep it up, Dan.

WARHAWK

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #1250 on: February 27, 2015, 02:57:53 PM »
Friday, February 27, 2015 SOTD

Razor:  Weber DLC

Soap:  RazoRock XXX

Brush:  Semogue 620

Dessert:  Ice cube rub, refrigerated WH, refrigerated Osage Rub

It has been awhile since I used the RazoRock XXX & glad that I did because it performed great.  The scent of the
XXX is amazing.  Love it!  My Weber DLC continues to perform like a world champion.  Hope your shaves are super
smooth and I wish you all a great weekend.

WARHAWK

Offline 120inna55

• Ultimate Sly Guy
    • 120inna55
« Reply #1251 on: February 28, 2015, 12:06:32 PM »
Head/face shave at the sink, this time.  This was about 2 hours after my shower.  I didn't intend to shave today, but I was anxious to try-out my new Stirling soap that arrived yesterday. So, prep was a quick head/face wash with Lucky Tiger Face wash.  I make such a mess at the sink, but it was all good this morning.

Technique:  WTG-->XTG-->ATG/clean-up.

Soap: Stirling Soap Co. "Texas on Fire"

Brush: Semogue 1250 Boar

Razor: iKon Shavecraft #102 Slant

Blade: Feather Hi-Stainless Platinum-Coated

Post: Fine Snake Bite After Shave & 1740 Blackout Beard Balm (Death Wish Coffee infused)

Pay-off:  Lapsang Souchong Tea from Light of Day Organics

Let's get right to the Stirling Soap. This soap is probably the most thirsty of all the soaps I've used, but when I found the balance, I was in heaven.  The scent will likely polarize, but I absolutely enjoyed it.  It smells exactly like Lapsang Souchong tea.  Stirling has a post shave feel that rivals that of Los Angeles Shaving Soap's products.  There was only a light lingering scent on my skin, but the restroom still smells like I had a camp fire in there.  Absolutely incredible soap!  I'm going to purchase a lot more in case they stop making it.

This was the first time I've used a Feather in the iKon #102.  The 102 certainly changed the character of the blade.  I really enjoyed the combination.  I can't say it beat out my favorite Astra, but it performed at least as well.  I can't really make that determination since this was in the presence of a soap that's new to me.

Even though I'd already had 4 cups of coffee this morning, the "Texas on Fire" flung a craving upon me for Lapsang Souchong.  For those of you that have never heard of it, I highly recommend you try it for something unique.  I won't belabor this thread with how Lapsang Souchong is made, but I will suggest that if you want to try it, you should get a premium vendor (like Light of Day Organics) to get a real example of how it's supposed to taste.  There are many tea makers that just can't pull it off, and it ends up just tasting like liquid smoke.

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #1252 on: March 05, 2015, 04:49:10 PM »
Thursday, March 5, 2015 SOTD

Razor:  iKON ShaveCraft #102

Soap:  Mike's Natural Soap:  Barber Shop

Brush:  Semogue Barbear Classico Texugo

Dessert:  Ice cube rub, refrigerated WH, refrigerated FINE Fresh Vetiver

This is my 2nd time using the iKON ShaveCraft #102.  Prior to purchasing, I was very concerned that I may not like this razor because I thought that it would be too mild.  The reason I say that is because I was a former owner of the ShaveCraft #101 and that razor was way too mild and I ended selling it.

So... to my surprise  those thoughts were deleted once I did my 1st pass with the SC #102 Slant.  Wow!!!  This is a great razor.  I already know that I am going to love it.  I paired it with my Weber Bulldog handle and the balance is perfect for me.  One day I might try out a Tuckway Handle.  One thing I love about slant razor is that I can use longer strokes and the way it is slanted it mows my hairs to pieces.  Special thanks to our member "120" for your enabling.  Thanks Matt!

WARHAWK O0

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #1253 on: March 05, 2015, 04:59:05 PM »
Thursday, March 5, 2015 SOTD

iKON ShaveCraft #102 :  Feather :  Mike's Natural Barber Shop :  Semogue BC Texugo

WARHAWK O0

Offline 120inna55

• Ultimate Sly Guy
    • 120inna55
« Reply #1254 on: March 05, 2015, 06:16:25 PM »
...One thing I love about slant razor is that I can use longer strokes and the way it is slanted it mows my hairs to pieces.  Special thanks to our member "120" for your enabling.  Thanks Matt!...
You're way ahead of me in the enabling department, bro!  I've bought quite a few things that were stimulated by your posts.  I'm glad you like the 102.  You hit on a good point about the slants "enabling" you to take longer strokes.  That's what I really love about them, too.  It's a nice advantage for head shavers.

That Bulldog looks like it was made for that 102.  I really like my tuckaway, though.  I tend to choke up on the razor and actually rest my 5th digit on the planar surface of the handle.

Yet another nice pic, Mel!  Keep 'em coming!

Offline mrzed

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
  • Addicted to head shaving.
« Reply #1255 on: March 06, 2015, 07:11:19 PM »
It was a bad shave today. No cuts or bruises, but even though it was a brand new blade, it just did not seem to want to cut hair very close.  Good thing I had a head blade to fall back on.

Do you find that some blades are just duds? and the rest of the pack work well? 

Finished off with traditional Old Spice, but not too much.  Old Spice sometimes gives me a stuffy nose for the day. Guess I'm allergic to something in there if I use too much.

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #1256 on: March 07, 2015, 06:11:22 PM »
It was a bad shave today. No cuts or bruises, but even though it was a brand new blade, it just did not seem to want to cut hair very close.  Good thing I had a head blade to fall back on.

Do you find that some blades are just duds? and the rest of the pack work well? 

Finished off with traditional Old Spice, but not too much.  Old Spice sometimes gives me a stuffy nose for the day. Guess I'm allergic to something in there if I use too much.

Hi Dan:  Yes. . . from time to time, I get a blade that is a dud.  I always can tell after I complete one or two strokes when shaving.  That is when I immediately toss out the dud and get a new blade.

WARHAWK O0

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #1257 on: March 07, 2015, 06:22:08 PM »
Saturday, March 7, 2015 SOTD

Razor:  iKON ShaveCraft #102

Blade:  Super Iridium

Soap:  Jabonman:  Lavanda

Brush:  Semogue 610

Dessert:  Ice cube rub, refrigerated WH, refrigerated FINE Fresh Vetiver

Had a very relaxing, super, smooth shave today.  The iKON SC #102 is a smooth slant.  I paired it up with a Super Iridium and it was a great match.  Super Iridium blades are sharp and smooth.  The Jabonman soap has been a welcome addition in my shave den.  It is made by an artisan from Spain.  The Jabonman shave soaps perform outstanding.  One thing I love about his soaps are the scent.  I judge shave soaps for performance and scent.  Hope all your shaves are super smooth.  If you are on the fence on safety razors. . . don't be shy you do not know what you are missing.  Enjoy your weekend.  I know I will.

WARHAWK O0

Offline 120inna55

• Ultimate Sly Guy
    • 120inna55
« Reply #1258 on: March 07, 2015, 07:08:37 PM »
Where do you buy Jabonman?

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #1259 on: March 08, 2015, 09:28:05 PM »
Where do you buy Jabonman?
They do not have a website but I just PM'd you his email.

WARHAWK O0

Enter your email address: