Author Topic: SAFETY Razor Shave of the Day (SOTD)  (Read 749195 times)

Offline wutwutman

• Super Sly
  • "Isaac Hayes style boy!" lol
Re: SAFETY Razor Shave of the Day (SOTD)
« Reply #945 on: June 25, 2014, 08:59:13 AM »
Prep: HeadShed
Pre: Shave Secret
Cream: Geo F. Trumper Limes
Brush: Vulfix Super Bader
Razor/Blade: Dovo Shavette w/long blade
After: D.R. Harris Arlington (actually, the cologne, as opposed to the after shave)

First Shavette shave that I would call a complete success. No touch ups required. Head as BBS as I can get it when using a DE. Felt a couple stings while doing the back, but no blood or anything. Also, first time I have used Trumper cream. I quite liked it.

Awesome!  You may have inspired me to give a shavette a go!...  Maybe.. ;)
** Wutwutman **
"To shave or not to shave... is that really a question?"

Offline DanJMag

• Sly Jr.
  • Balding sucks. Drop the 'ing' and be beautiful.
« Reply #946 on: June 25, 2014, 07:58:46 PM »
Cream: Geo F. Trumper GFT
Brush: Vulfix Super Badger
Razor/Blade: Dovo Shavette with long blade
After: Nivea for Men, Cool Kick

Tough one tonight. No cuts, and relatively smooth, but highly irritated. When I put on the ClearHead, Boy Howdy! What a burn! I should have scrapped my lather at the beginning and started over. It seemed fairly thick and fluffy, but I had absolutely no glide whatsoever. From the first stroke my razor was hopping like a flat stone across a pond. Not sure if it was just bad lather, or perhaps too much shave secret. I almost suspect the latter. On the top of the dome, when I did a stroke with the razor, my scalp actually seemed tacky where the cream was removed, not slick. Oh, well. Tomorrow's another day.

Offline Goatee

• Bald and Proud to be!
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #947 on: June 26, 2014, 10:57:15 AM »
What is the best consistency for the lather for a smooth shave? I sometimes get the blade dragging across the scalp. This is with a new blade too!

Offline greatnessinc

• One part iron man one part superman
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Semper Sly!
« Reply #948 on: June 26, 2014, 11:57:50 AM »
What is the best consistency for the lather for a smooth shave? I sometimes get the blade dragging across the scalp. This is with a new blade too!
wet but not runny. You want your head to look like you are a ghostbuster that just defeated the stay puft marshmallow man  ;D
"Ifyou're going through hell, just keep going"
-Winston Churchill

Offline DanJMag

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #949 on: June 26, 2014, 07:31:49 PM »
Cream: TOBS Grapefruit
Razor/Blade: Dovo Shavette w/long blade
After: D.R. Harris Marlborough

In spite of a small cut that drew a little blood, this was still a better shave than yesterday. I need to remind myself to relather before I do touch ups. I'm bad for going over spots a 2nd or 3rd time without applying more lather first. Still, I'll put this one in the win column, though I may switch to a mild DE until the cut is fully healed.

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #950 on: June 27, 2014, 03:41:29 PM »
Yesterday, June 26, 2014 SOTD

Standard Razors

Feather

Truefitt & Hill West Indian Limes

TSN Semogue 2012 LE

Ice cube rub, refrigerated WH, refrigerated Osage Rub

Yesterday, I had my 1st test drive of the Standard Razors.  There is no misspelling that is the correct spelling of the razor.  I will just call it a SR for now. 1st impressions is that this is a beautifully made razor.  It is very light weight razor because of the aluminum construction.  The razor is mild but it gave a good shave.

In one wet shaving forum, some one even stated that the SR is better then the Weber razor.  YMMV, because the SR is not better then the Weber razor but it gave me a good face and dome shave.  It is well-designed and the balance is great.  I look forward to future use of the SR.

WARHAWK
« Last Edit: June 27, 2014, 03:48:23 PM by warhawk »
Tough times don't last but tough people do!!!

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #951 on: June 27, 2014, 03:59:16 PM »
more pics

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #952 on: June 27, 2014, 09:29:35 PM »
testing pic...

Offline DanJMag

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #953 on: June 27, 2014, 10:05:45 PM »
Pre: HeadShed, Shave Secret
Cream: D.R. Harris Arlington
Razor/Blade: Merkur Futur w/ Astra SP blade
AS: D.R. Harris Windsor

Best. Shave. Ever. First dome shave with the Futur. I love this thing. I only have it set on 2, and it absolutely powers through the stubble, and you hardly feel it. I had to do a few test rubs to see if it was actually cutting. Typically I judge the success of a shave on two main factors: the smoothness of the dome post-shave, and the amount of burn when I put on the HeadClear. The more burn, the more the skin was irritated by the shave. Well my dome is BBS, and the HeadClear barely tingled. Awesome. Now, the D.R. Harris cream, on the other hand: I'm just not a fan of this stuff. I've done a couple shaves with it and, even though I load the brush well, does not produce the copious amounts of lather I am used to with the TOBS creams. Love their fragrances, but may give the creams a pass when it comes time to order more. The fact that I got so good a shave with so inferior a lather speaks to the performance of the Futur. I'm sure some may disagree, but those are my impressions.

Offline bmilcs

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #954 on: June 28, 2014, 05:48:20 PM »

SOTD: Cobra Classic, Kai Mild, Kent BK8,
BSBC Patchouli & Bergamot, Floid Blue

With my assistant:

Offline Goatee

• Bald and Proud to be!
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #955 on: June 29, 2014, 03:52:08 AM »
Pre: Just water
Cream: TOBS
Brush: EJ Brush, Badger
Razor/Blade: Merkur 37c / Persona Blue

Cut myself twice! New blade too! Ouch!

Overall a good clean shave but still have do several passes and touching up. Cuts came during first pass WTG! Used alum block on those which worked fine.

Thing is, I am still trying different blades and I don't usually get nicks or haven't had any regular ones for ages.

Offline 120inna55

• Ultimate Sly Guy
    • 120inna55
« Reply #956 on: June 29, 2014, 07:48:34 AM »
Pre: Shower
Shaving Soap:  PrĂ© de Provence
Brush:  Escali Pure Badger
Razor / Blade:  Merkur Progress / Crystal Super + Stainless Steel Platinum (aka Israeli Personna)
Also pictured: Colonel Conk Evernice Model 775 Chrome Safety Razor Stand

FULL SIZE IMAGE

1st pass: WTG. 1.5
2nd pass: ATG. 3.5
3rd pass: XTG. 3.5

Best head and face shave ever.  This was my first shave with the Progress.  Very comfortable shave.  BBS and zero irritation.

I'm not crazy about the Escali Brush ($13 on amazon).  I may not be using it correctly, though.  It spread out and stayed that way, but it made a good quick lather with the Pre de Provence that I received as a Christmas gift. I will give the brush another chance and next time I won't press down so much.  Otherwise, I may be going back to my Omega Pro 48.  My only gripe with the Omega is the huge handle.  It's too big for me to correctly grip at the knot.

I love the weight of the Merkur Progress.  Previously I was using a Merkur 23c, but I needed a beefier, shorter handle.  The Progress fit the bill.  The Progress is my first experience with an adjustable.  I love being able to adjust on the fly.  It seems counter-intuitive, but it was recommended that the initial pass (WTG) be done with a lower setting and then finish with a more aggressive setting.  This resulted in a very comfortable shave.  I'm BBC, so I have very thick, coarse head stubble.

I went with the Crystal (Israeli Personnas) blades even though I have a ton of Feathers.  I heard the high-performance blades are not optimal in the progress, so a more mid-grade blade was recommended.  I may try one of my Feathers after I have a few more shaves with the Progress under my belt, but I can't complain about the Crystals.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2014, 08:03:21 AM by 120inna55 »

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #957 on: June 29, 2014, 08:40:44 AM »
@DanJMag:  Nice SOTD entry... I love my Futur also.  Glad you had a great shave.

@bmilcs:  Hi Bryan... welcome back my friend.  Love your pic.

@120:  Nice SOTD pic, sir.  I love my Progress, also.  Glad you had a great shave.  Get you a better brush.  I had several friends who bought an Escali brush for the inexpensive price but that brush is a shedder.  May I suggest a Semogue brush.  IMO, they are the best bang for your buck boar brushes on the planet. 

WARHAWK O0

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Re: SAFETY Razor Shave of the Day (SOTD)Sunday, June 29, 2014 SOTD
« Reply #958 on: June 29, 2014, 01:33:23 PM »
Sunday, June 29, 2014 SOTD

Muhle R41 w/ Weber Wave Handle

Israeli Personna

Strop Shoppe BarberShoppe Soap

Semogue BC Texugo

Ice cube rub refrigerated WH, refrigerated FINE Fresh Vetiver

Just had a great shave with the 2013 Muhle R41 (aka 2013 BEAST)... it is definitely a very aggressive razor.  I had a great face shave with no nicks.  The head shave resulted in just one nick.  It's been awhile since I used the Strop Shoppe shave soap.  Glad I did because this shave soap is great.  The scent is amazing.  It is tallow based and was easy to lather using my Semogue brush.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2014, 01:37:35 PM by warhawk »

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #959 on: June 29, 2014, 01:41:29 PM »
deleted
« Last Edit: June 29, 2014, 01:44:57 PM by warhawk »

Enter your email address: