Author Topic: SAFETY Razor Shave of the Day (SOTD)  (Read 748264 times)

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Re: SAFETY Razor Shave of the Day (SOTD)
« Reply #180 on: August 21, 2012, 06:56:32 PM »
@Mike:  Glad that you found your go to blade.  Believe it or not.... as many DE blades that I have experimented I still haven't tried the Feathers yet.  I might have to try it out soon and let ya know how it went.

@npsbg:  Glad that you are liking the Astra SP.  That is my go to blade.

WARHAWK O0
Tough times don't last but tough people do!!!

Offline Bluebriz

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #181 on: August 21, 2012, 07:42:43 PM »
@mel You still haven't used a Feather blade?  How is that possible? ;0)

Have you still not tried the wonderous glory of one of your SEs or that new injector yet either?  The SEs and injectors are amazing razors!  I've been using my injector on my travels and used an SE a couple of nights ago.  Think I need to relearn using it because despite the close shave I got more weepers than in the previous 6 months' shaves combined!

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #182 on: August 21, 2012, 08:03:25 PM »
@mel You still haven't used a Feather blade?  How is that possible? ;0)

Have you still not tried the wonderous glory of one of your SEs or that new injector yet either?  The SEs and injectors are amazing razors!  I've been using my injector on my travels and used an SE a couple of nights ago.  Think I need to relearn using it because despite the close shave I got more weepers than in the previous 6 months' shaves combined!
;D ;D ;D I know.  I cannot believe it myself.  Well... I will soon use it.  BTW... we went out of town to visit my mother-in-law a couple of weeks ago and I purposely brought my Schick Injector razor and guess what???   I had a DFS on face and dome.  It was a fun razor to use especially for traveling because I didn't want to occupy a lot of time in the bathroom. 

One reason why I haven't tried the Feather is because I really want to "postpone" my meeting with the notorious Feather blade.  However.... I think I will try it out this week.  I know it's reputation of being the sharpest DE blade in the DE world.  Wish me luck and if you have any suggestions or tips on the Feather blade let me know.

WARHAWK O0

Offline Bluebriz

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #183 on: August 22, 2012, 01:46:36 AM »
It's just another blade Mel, nothing to worry about!  Treat it with the same respect you treat the Astras etc and you'll be fine!

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Re: Re: SAFETY Razor Shave of the Day (SOTD)
« Reply #184 on: August 22, 2012, 06:49:01 PM »
After experimenting with many DE blades... I finally tried out the notorious Feather blade.  The Feather blade is made in Japan and it has the reputation of being the sharpest blade in the DE world.   I had a BBS shave (face/dome).  This is indeed one sharp blade.  I am very impressed with the Feather.

WARHAWK

Offline ycartt

• Sly
« Reply #185 on: August 22, 2012, 08:16:17 PM »
I like the feather blades.

Offline Laser Man

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #186 on: August 22, 2012, 08:20:23 PM »
Warhawk,

Were the Feather blades a birthday gift? 

Offline Bluebriz

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #187 on: August 22, 2012, 08:26:03 PM »
I feel like I haven't shared my shaves much here of late, but I've been travelling and not using the best quality products!  Anyway, I'm home again now, so....

Razor: GEM Single edge razor (not sure of the model)
Blade: GEM
Soap: Tabac with boar brush
Shave: 1 pass touch up to get through today after an overnight bus journey with no sleep that wiped me out;  warm rinse, cold rinse, ice cube rub, pat dry, witch hazel.
Aftershave: Osage and 444 balm.

A very pleasurable shave, the SEs are just fantastic to use.

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #188 on: August 22, 2012, 09:01:42 PM »
Warhawk,

Were the Feather blades a birthday gift? 
No... I have  a few Feather blades since April of this year from a sampler pack.  I just promised myself that before I used the Feather that I wanted to have good technique and some experience before I tried it out. 

WARHAWK O0

Offline DCSlyOne

• Drives With The Top Down
  • Sly Jr.
  • At My Sunday Best
« Reply #189 on: August 22, 2012, 09:39:43 PM »
I let the beard and dome grow out since this past Sunday.  I thought I'd try a different soap to see out the shave felt, and how the fragrance would work with my body chemistry.

I used the same set up as previously posted, and used Mike's Natural Soap - Orange, Cedarwood and Black Pepper.  What a difference!

Face (at sink)
Razor: Merkur Future (setting #1)
Blade: Astra
Soap: Mikes Orange, Cedarwood and Black Pepper
Shave: 4 pass shave WTG, ATG, and XTG
Aftershave: Jack Black's Post Shave Cooling Gel

Amazing shave!  This definitely was BBS.  Now I know what heaven feels like.  The only thing I did different from the last time was to change soaps.  When I ordered soap through Mike's, they sent a sample of the Orange with my order.  I am glad they did.  The Orange will now be a staple in my shave cabinet.  No razor burn issues this time around, and definitely helped in providing a BBS shave.

Dome (at sink)
Razors: Gillette Fusion and Bismark straight razor
Soap: Mikes Orange, Cedarwood and Black Pepper
Shave: 2 pass shave WTG and ATG
No aftercare/shave

Again, the Orange was fantastic on the dome, with another BBS shave.  This soap works well with DE and Fusion  Thanks to Warhawk for turning me on to this!

Used the straight razor to mow down the stubble in the crevice of the hotdog roll in the back of my dome.

With the advice from earlier, I am now able to navigate my Adam's apple much better, with minimal nicks.  Overall, I did not have as many nicks as I did the first time around.  

I am very pleased with how this is progressing.  I am getting more confident in my abilities to handle a DE.  I will continue to use different soaps, so I can narrow it down to a few good ones, then move forward from there.  Especially with moving up to higher settings on the Futur.

Smooooov!

[img width= height= alt=ImageChef]http://cdn-users1.imagechef.com/ic/stored/2/090912/purf3b33834440fda29.jpg[/img]

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #190 on: August 22, 2012, 09:46:10 PM »
@DCSlyOne:  Darrell... that is good news my friend.  Keep it up. O0

WARHAWK O0

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sure you can rub it... all the girls want to...
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #191 on: August 23, 2012, 05:09:59 AM »
I'm working at home today so I shaved this AM. Today was the first day I gave my head a good shave with the DE.

I shaved both my face and head at the sink after my shower. I loaded a brand new Derby Extra blade into the Edwin Jagger and went at it.

I used the Derby Extra blade with my DE89L razor. RazoRock XXX shave soap and I finished with Nivea Extreme After Shave Balm on my head and face. The Nivea has almost no scent so I then used Gabel's Vegetal for my after shave.

About the shave.... EXCELLENT! I like the Derby Extra blade. I will say that shaving my head took time and patience because I am right handed with virtually no skills left handed. Total shave time for head and face... about 25 minutes. I'm hoping to "shave" abut 5 minutes off of that as I get more skilled at shaveing the head.
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" W.C. Fields

Offline Laser Man

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #192 on: August 23, 2012, 06:27:24 AM »
I changed my routine this morning and used my DE on face and head while standing at the sink.  I usually shave my head in the shower, but since I wanted to take extra time with the DE, I thought I do it at the sink and not waste as much water.

So my routine was 1) washdown with Pear's Transparent Soap, 2) apply Art of Shaving pre-shave oil, 3) lather up with HeadSlick, 4) shave with Merkur DE with Astra blade, 5) warm rinse, 6) cold rinse, and 7) apply Nivea Sensitive after shave balm.  I took my time and the whole shave ran about 20 minutes.  Since the head of the DE is fixed, it takes a little bit of contortionism to get the razor at the correct angle on every part of the dome.

The result: an excellent, smooth shave!  I'm amazed that the single blade of the DE shaves as close as the five blades of the Fusion.

Offline Bucksfan

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #193 on: August 23, 2012, 06:34:56 AM »
Congrats, Mike - I too love the Derby Extra blades.  Combined with an EJ razor, it is smooth and unaggressive (a very good thing for my scalp).  For my face, I tend to use the same blades but with my Merkur, which is a slightly more aggressive razor.  

P.S.  I find it takes me about 10 minutes to do a good job with a DE on the head and face when standing at the sink.  It takes me 8-10 minutes to do the head only when in the shower (with a Mach3). 

With a DE you don't need to rinse as often as one of the multi-blade razors, because it doesn't get clogged up! 
« Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 06:42:57 AM by Bucksfan »

Offline -Doug-

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
  • Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.
    • Gabe's Shirt Goes To..
« Reply #194 on: August 23, 2012, 07:06:09 AM »
Today SOTD...

Head - Today I decided to take the Merkur to the dome. While I've done it in the past with some not too pleasent results, I put those thoughts out of my head and decicded to give it a go again. I dialed down the setting from my previous attempts. The results were a smooth, close shave. I did have one or two small nicks/weepers but they were easily dealt with after my shave. Total shave time ~20 mins.

Head (at sink)
Razor: Merkur Future (setting #2)
Blade: Wilkinson Sword
Soap:  Proraso Sensitive Skin (with a few drops of Shave Secret applied directly to the dome)
Shave: Mostly ATG but a few whichever direction necessary passes to get the missed spots.
Aftershave: Witch Hazel

(Obligatory shaving setup photo ala Warhawk style ;) )

Face - none today. I'm letting a nasty cut from yesterday have a break from the razor.  :*))
« Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 07:50:39 AM by D o u g »
Life has three aspects: Paradox, Humor, and Change.

Paradox: Life is a mystery; don't waste time figuring it out.
Humor: Keep a sense of humor, especially about yourself. It is a strength beyond all measure
Change: Know that nothing stays the same.