Author Topic: Getting There ... sorta  (Read 4129 times)

Offline DaveM61

• Sly Jr.
Getting There ... sorta
« on: October 09, 2011, 08:16:59 AM »
Joined the forum yesterday ... thanks for the welcomes.  As you can see, my hair is fairly light (blond) and as I mentioned in my intro post, on Friday, the barber "helped me along" and suggested the "000" blade.  After reading through quite a few of the posts yesterday, I'm discovering some interesting thoughts.  I feel I am a very confident person, but apparently not confident enough.  Since going buzzed about a month ago, I've gotten nothing but positive comments.  I can sit here at look at my picture and very rationally say ... "a 000 buzz or shaved (I need to start saying "Sly"), on me, there's not much difference."  But ... I'm still getting hung up on going sly.  For whatever reason, I keep telling myself to wait until more people who I know from DC see me buzzed before I go sly (recently moved ... about a year ago and still return to DC for business often and see friends when I'm there).  I know I'm not going to see "everyone" on my next visit back and it will take several visits over several months before I could realistically see "everyone."  Somehow, I feel like I need to "explain" that I buzzed because of my MPB (I am Norwood 5 or 5V) before going sly.  But again, duh ... everyone could see I had MPB, but maybe because no one "acknowledged it" to me (no doubt I would be pissed off if someone did), I feel like I need to go through with this step.  But I'm not understanding what this "step" is doing for me.

Reading through many great posts yesterday/last night ... I can almost get myself there and acknowledge that friends and colleagues who see me now (with the 000 buzz) would/will have the same reaction if sly.  A number of responses suggest "do it when you're ready."  But, with the thoughts going through my head about wanting people to see me buzzed first, I may never get to being ready.  However, reading through most of these posts ... I'm looking forward to the liberation and the anticipated further confidence boost with going sly.  What's really odd to me is that I can see myself sly ... literally in a few short weeks ... but if I can see myself sly then, why not now?? 

Anyone else been in a similar boat?  I'm starting to question whether I should start "suggesting" that I'm going to go sly to friends/colleagues before doing it.  I'm finding the conflict in me curious. 

I have ordered my sly equipment.  I wet shave my face now and don't want to try doing the deed with a safety razor, so I ordered some supplies from Headblade.  I expect they will be here by the end of the week.   Perhaps for a weekend doing of the deed ... or to sit on my shelf for a bit more.  Not sure yet.

Offline andrew

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • Sly for life ...
Re: Getting There ... sorta
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2011, 08:29:03 AM »
Many of us have over-analyzed the impact of taking the final step to go sly and later realized that we should have just gone for it much sooner.  I, for one, am guilty of that and went through every "what if" scenario before getting the guts up (thought lots of prodding from the guys in here) to just do it.  After anticipating lots of drama, the whole thing turned out to be a non-event.   Upon showing up at work for the first time and seeing friends for the first time, I received a few comments (all positive) and that was the end of it.

Go for it.  No time better than the present.

Andrew
“The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once.”
–Albert Einstein

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2011, 08:32:02 AM »
It's always a bit disconcerting when you run into people for the first time after shaving, but nine times out of ten it turns out to be a big non-event.  At a #000 buzz, you are practically bald anyway and most people will make no distinction between that and shaved smooth.  In fact, most people won't make a distinction between a #1 and shaved smooth, so your reluctance is purely psychological, though perfectly normal and not  uncommon.

As I said before, you're almost there anyway so why not just go for it and get it over with?  If you need to ease into the look a bit, I'd suggest shaving as soon as you get home from work on a Friday evening.  You'll be back to a #000 by Monday morning, or you'll at least be close enough to it that nobody will notice.  You can do that over the course of a few weekends until you feel ready to be a full-time baldy.    :)

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2011, 08:33:09 AM »
The "last step!"  Oddly, I'm approaching the fourth anniversary of taking it to the bone---becoming completely sly--this week.  I had buzzed for somewhat over a month, and that eliminated the "combover" so I'd taken care of a part, the worst part, of it.  I'd started about a #3 if I can recall correctly, gown up and abandoned the barber chair doing my own buzzing--that was necessary because hair grows from a #3 to a 4 within four days to a week anyway.  Well, at #1, it felt good--what I imagine you're feeling now.  The curiousity about "what people would say" and all that was in my head.  But, then I got up, took the clipper and did a no guard buzz, went to the gym.  No one said anything.  Got home showered, and lathered my face--then the "What the Hell?" moment, I lathered the scalp.  Shaved my face, then completed the "What the Hell" taking my Fusion straight back on the top of my head--then there was no turning back.  At work, some compliments but no bad comments--I'd passed that with the buzz.  

Lesson, everyone essentially knows it already--this reticence you're feeling is entirely within you.  So, one day, soon I think, you'll lather up, have the "What the Hell" moment and do it.  You'll be feeling great, and then realize that all the waiting was not necessary.  It's big for you, but only you--really.  The good thing is the reward is big too, and it's just for you too.  See you on the Sly Side Soon!

Offline Laser Man

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2011, 08:54:12 AM »
It's normal to be reluctant, but it also sounds like the curiosity about being sly is growing. That's also normal. You mention that feel the need to explain yourself to people when you meet them. I'm bald by choice - I shaved my head for charity and almost immediately fell in love with the look and feel of having a smooth dome. At first, I explained it to everyone as a preemptive strike - to prevent questions (and concerns that I was ill). A few weeks ago, I ran into someone I haven't seen since going sly. I decided not to explain myself unless he asked. I could tell he was curious, but he never asked. At that point, I felt I cleared a hurdle: being bald is who I am - no longer any need to explain. So my advice: don't think you have to explain your decision - you don't!

Offline Paul the Headblader

• Sly Bureau
  • They see me rollin' they hatin'
    • My facebook page :)
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2011, 08:56:10 AM »
I'm on the same step.
I used #000 as far, never shaved.
I'm not afraid of what people think, ....them :)
I decided to shave my head, and I will do it soon (I'll use the barber shop for it, like 2 or three times, to get used to it, then I'll do it by myself :)
I'll say: GO FOR IT  :)
be who you are, say what you feel, because those who matter don't mind, and those who mind don't matter

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sure you can rub it... all the girls want to...
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2011, 12:07:25 PM »
Welcome to the Forum Dave!!!
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" W.C. Fields

Offline tomgallagher

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2011, 12:52:27 PM »
Welcome to the group.

Offline BaldHDbiker

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2011, 07:59:46 AM »
Just curious on how you made out. Did you pull the trigger yet and if so how do you feel?

Offline DaveM61

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2011, 11:39:15 AM »
This should answer the question! :)

Offline xnewyawka

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2011, 06:50:30 AM »
Welcome to SBG's forum Dave, way to go!

Offline BaldHDbiker

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2011, 06:55:19 AM »
This should answer the question! :)

Congratulations it looks great!

Offline kalbo

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2011, 07:17:14 AM »
Enjoy the sly you. Great look.
Mabuhay ang mga kalbo!

Offline theebaldguy

• Sly Penguin
  • Super Sly
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2011, 11:30:37 AM »
Welcome, and glad you finally went for it.
My slyness came about out of necessity. I had cancer, and was not going to deal with having my hair fall out everywhere, so I just shaved it off. I never regretted that decision. The cancer is gone. I'm still here, and still sly.  O:O
Just say no to rugs!

Slynito

« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2011, 02:02:41 PM »
Way to go, Dave...congrats!