Author Topic: Advice for a beginner  (Read 1599 times)

Offline Tigertyler7

• Learning the way of Sly
Advice for a beginner
« on: January 21, 2021, 09:10:44 AM »
Hello, I am a person who has never held a razor before but has always wanted to shave my head by myself. My question is what type of razor and cream/gel is best for a beginner and if I need to get anything else? Another question is how much pressure do I apply when using a razor? I could also use tips on how to shave my head. Thanks.

Offline slybeard

• Sly Bureau
Re: Advice for a beginner
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2021, 10:28:46 AM »
If you ask five headshavers, you will get 5 different responses.  So I will give you what I find works best for me.

First, before you shave, you should use clippers and buzz you hair down as close as possible.  No razor work well if you still have hair over 1 or 2 mm in length.

I shave in the shower so I have plenty of steam and moisture.  I use an anti-fog shower mirror.  Foe a first shave, I would do it in front of you sink with a larger mirror.  Also, expect to need 20 to 30 minutes your first time.

I start with a cleansing apricot face scrub on my head, and then rinse that off.

I then lather up with Cremo brand shave cream.

I shave against the grain - you may want to start with the grain for the first time and until you know how you skin reacts to being shaved.  If you have sensitive skin, shaving against the grain may cause some irritation.  SI my description will be against the grain, just reverse the direction for shaving with the grain.

I use a Gillette Fusion cartridge razor.  I start on the top of my head on one side, and shave from front to back.  Jus let the razor glide across the skin, no extra pressure required.  Each stroke of the razor I move over about 1/2 the width of the razor.  Rinse the razor under hot water every 2 to 4 strokes.

Once I reach the opposite side, I then start at the front on one side, shaving from bottom up, just past the section already shaved on top.  Again, I move the razor over about 1/2 the width of the razor, continuing all the way around the back and to the opposite side.

Once finished, with wet hands, I rub my head feeling for areas that may have been missed.  If found, I follow with a stroke of the razor to get the section missed.

Caution:  We all have some difficult areas where it is difficult to get smooth.  Don't continue with multiple passes in one place, or you will get razor burn.

Good luck, I hope this helps.  Post a photo of your results and let us know how it went.
SlyBeard

Offline reddog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2021, 01:05:25 PM »
There is a ton of information on this site, just look around and you will find great info.

My "go to" razor is the Schick Extreme 3 disposable and I like Dial Coconut Water bar soap.

Ok, here is my advice: for your first headshave, I would find a barbershop that does shaves. That way, you will have a positive experience. A barbershop headshave is an awesome thing you won't forget. Just get in the barber chair and tell him to shave your head bald! You won't believe how great the feel of a freshly shaved head is.
Bald by choice, and loving it!

Offline clint902

• Super Sly
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2021, 02:43:55 PM »
I buzzed down my hair as close as possible.  I have good luck using a shaving gel.  Prior to that, I wash my scalp.  After rinsing, I put a few drops of olive oil and rub it in.  Then I put a quarter size drop of shaving gel then smear it on my scalp and wetting my hands with water and rubbing my head some more until my head gets nice and slippery.  Some start off my letting razor do the work and not applying pressure however, when I gained more experience shaving, I found myself applying more pressure.  My hair grow in a bunch of different directions and it was hard to shave but over time I learned which hair grows which way so now it takes a couple of minutes.

Offline clint902

• Super Sly
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2021, 01:29:25 AM »
I want to add that for my first few shaves, I used my Braun 3 wet/dry electric shaver to do the job.  I used dawn dishwashing liquid instead of a shaving foam or gel.  I'm not sure if I did the right thing but that's all I had on hand.  The problem I had with the dawn was it was hard to rinse my scalp afterward.  Anyway, that's how I first started.  Now I have a bunch of shaving stuff around and I always use a razor now. 

Offline DoberDaddy

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2021, 12:34:52 AM »
Welcome!