Author Topic: Still haven't found a way to stop irritation after 2 years of shaving  (Read 1867 times)

Offline SkinnyKho

• Sly Guy in Training
Hey guys,

First I want to thank everyone on this forum for all the help provided for these past two years. I don't post or answer, but I read a lot.

I'm 23 and I have been shaving my head for the past 2 years because of male pattern baldness. I decided to go for the shaving way pretty fast.

My issue is that after 2 years of trying a lot of differents razors, shaving soaps and creams, after and pre shaves, I still get irritation and bumps. It's driving me crazy. I'm so glad I chose to shave my head instead of Hair Transplants and medication but my head never looks good after a shave.
Even with the grain shave.

How are bald people on the daily doing? A famous guy like Johnny Sins or Dwayne Johnson? These guys look like they shave against the grain every morning and their shaved head look flawless! Not a single redness or bump. HOW?!

I wish I could get there... But it has been two years and I'm tired.

Aloa Verra shaving cream, coconut oil, olive oil, DE Razor, Skinguard Razor, Mach 3, Electric Razors, Disposable Razors, pre shave oils, after shaves from all kind of brands, Hot water shave, cold water shave, daily shave, every 3-4 days shave...

The best shave I can get is what appears on the picture I'm posting with this message. 9 times out of 10 it looks way worse than that.

I need some help, some support...

Thanks guys. And sorry for my english, I'm french.

Love

Offline SkinnyKho

• Sly Guy in Training
Re: Still haven't found a way to stop irritation after 2 years of shaving
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2020, 11:43:47 AM »

I can post more pictures if you want.

Offline clint902

• Super Sly
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2020, 05:30:22 AM »
I've never known anyone who had that problem so I'm trying to figure out why this is happening.  Something's causing it but I'm not sure what.  I'm working on it!  I'm sure we'll come up with a solution. 
It's tough to compare ourselves with actors because they have makeup people and lighting so their shaven heads always seem to look perfect.  How long before the irritation fades out or does it fade at all?  I get irritation on my neck.

Offline slybeard

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2020, 08:09:13 AM »
There is a product line in the US called "bump Patrol" that helps with this.  I have no first hand experience with it, but I seem to remember other guys that have used it here with success.
SlyBeard

Offline Goatee

• Bald and Proud to be!
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2020, 05:28:23 PM »
Warm up the scalp thoroughly
Apply pre shave
Apply shaving cream. Mixed in a bowl, with a shaving brush
Only shave with the grain
Wash with cold water after shave to close up the pores
Use witch hazel after you dry your head

This is my routine and i get less irritation doing it this way at the moment as i can suffer like you.
I use a mach 3 at the moment but also use a DE occassionally
« Last Edit: December 18, 2020, 05:30:24 PM by Goatee »

Offline SkinnyKho

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2020, 09:18:18 AM »
I've never known anyone who had that problem so I'm trying to figure out why this is happening.  Something's causing it but I'm not sure what.  I'm working on it!  I'm sure we'll come up with a solution. 
It's tough to compare ourselves with actors because they have makeup people and lighting so their shaven heads always seem to look perfect.  How long before the irritation fades out or does it fade at all?  I get irritation on my neck.

Thanks for your answers guys.

Irritation leaves approximately after 24-48h.

MY ACTUAL ROUTINE:

- Hot shower
- Apply pre shave oil from Proraso for sensitive skin
- Apply shaving cream with a shaving brush , Proraso sensitive skin
- Shave with Gillette Skinguard with the grain first (changing blades after 2-3 shaves because that helps for me even tho it's really expensive)
- Rince off, apply shaving cream again, shave against the grain
- Apply some alcool free aftershave

Sometimes I use Alum block.

I precise that shaving against the grain is not the problem, with the grain looks almost as bad

Offline clint902

• Super Sly
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2020, 10:12:06 AM »
Well...Have you tried shaving in the shower without using any of the other things you normally use?  I have a feeling that there's some ingredient in at least one of the products you're using that your skin is sensitive to.  Since you've been shaving for two years, I doubt that it's because of the razor.  As for myself, I'm sensitive to talc.  You're using a bunch of things on you scalp and anyone of them could be causing the problem.  My son was sensitive to ivory soap and would break out whenever he used it so you never can tell what's going on.  Also dry skin causes some irritation on my scalp.
So anyway, If I had the same problem as you, I'd try using a different soap to shower, then eliminate all the rest of the stuff.  If the irritation subsides, then introduce them one at a time until you find the culprit.  That's all I have but that's how I'd handle it.

Offline reddog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2020, 11:39:45 AM »
I had alot of irritation the first couple years, and Bump Patrol worked good. I get some break outs, so I have really simplified shaving. Seems the less products I use, the better it goes.

I shave daily in the shower. I use Dial coconut water soap and a Schick Extreme 3 disposable. I make multiple passes against the grain. The razor lasts 4 or 5 shaves, and I'm BBC, so I have to do my entire head. Cold water rinse, and then apply refrigerated witch hazel. I exfoliate about once a week.
Bald by choice, and loving it!

Offline Goatee

• Bald and Proud to be!
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2020, 04:14:08 PM »

Thanks for your answers guys.

Irritation leaves approximately after 24-48h.

MY ACTUAL ROUTINE:

- Hot shower
- Apply pre shave oil from Proraso for sensitive skin
- Apply shaving cream with a shaving brush , Proraso sensitive skin
- Shave with Gillette Skinguard with the grain first (changing blades after 2-3 shaves because that helps for me even tho it's really expensive)
- Rince off, apply shaving cream again, shave against the grain
- Apply some alcool free aftershave

Sometimes I use Alum block.

I precise that shaving against the grain is not the problem, with the grain looks almost as bad

Try going only with the grain and using Witch Hazel, for a week or two.

Enter your email address: