Author Topic: Winter is coming  (Read 9233 times)

Offline chuck63

• Sly
Re: Winter is coming
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2020, 09:22:58 AM »
I’ve shaved my head off and on for the past four years.  This will be my first winter as a bald guy.   The forecast says a low in the 20’s over the next few days.  This will probably be a test for whether or not I keep it shaved.

Offline Jerome

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2020, 10:12:14 AM »
I’ve shaved my head off and on for the past four years.  This will be my first winter as a bald guy.   The forecast says a low in the 20’s over the next few days.  This will probably be a test for whether or not I keep it shaved.

Good luck this winter! Alas, the remaining hair I have wouldn't do much to keep me warm. :-)

Offline reddog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2020, 11:38:59 AM »
@chuck63 , 20 isn't bad, we get -35 degrees here. Yes, it will be cold, but sometimes can be refreshing. You just have to have the right hat. I have never been a hat guy, so I only wear one when necessary. Needless to say, the hat comes off immediately when I'm inside, gotta let the bald head shine!
Bald by choice, and loving it!

Offline clint902

• Super Sly
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2020, 11:52:12 AM »
Yeah, we gotta wear some sort of hat regardless of the type because just as our fingers and noses are prone to frostbite ie exposed skin, so are our scalps.  Even when I had a full head of hair, I still had to wear a toke while working outside because I worked in a shipyard for a few years in the late 70s.  I believe something like 40% of our body heat is lost through the head even with hair, it's best to wear something to protect ourselves with whatever we have on hand.  The cold wind is a real killer though so I sometimes have to wear my hood on top of my toke.  However, I did the same when I had a full head of hair.  I don't think hair offers much protection, at least not in my case.  In the wicked cold weather, I even wore a sock on my head to keep me warm.  It ain't easy being bald but we do the best we can!

Offline Semi-Sly

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2020, 05:45:48 PM »
Hey everyone! Hope everyone had a happy and healthy Thanksgiving! I'm 7 months being bald and loving it.

Winter hat question: This is my first winter being bald, and I live in Chicago, so I need some good hat recommendations. I usually wear a beanie/toque, since I need to cover my ears, but I'm finding that the ribs on the beanies are leaving marks on my head. Anyone have any good, warm winter hat suggestions that won't leave marks? I prefer beanie/toque style, but I'm open to other suggestions.

Thanks and be well, everyone!

Hello Jerome

I live in Chicago in the summer but I’m also here now for the entire month of December because I have some major surgery tomorrow morning it will be at least a month before I’m able to drive back to my winter home in Florida .

I wear a pull over beanie hat here in Chicago and I love it because having a shaved head I don’t have to worry about messing up my hair and having to recomb it every time I take the hat off!  I also like it because I can just jam it into the pocket of my jacket or some other hats would require that I carry them or put them down someplace where I might forget it.

The beanie that I wear is very soft and has no ribs so I think if you just find another hat that’s made out of a softer material and doesn’t have ribs in it and also that’s not too tight you won’t have problems with dents on your scalp !

PS.  Since we are both in Chicago we should get together sometime!

Offline chuck63

• Sly
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2020, 05:49:50 PM »
We had our first cold morning this season with a low in the twenties.  I didn’t notice being any colder with a bald head than I normally would be.

Offline Laser Man

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2020, 07:03:53 PM »
Hey everyone! Hope everyone had a happy and healthy Thanksgiving! I'm 7 months being bald and loving it.

Winter hat question: This is my first winter being bald, and I live in Chicago, so I need some good hat recommendations. I usually wear a beanie/toque, since I need to cover my ears, but I'm finding that the ribs on the beanies are leaving marks on my head. Anyone have any good, warm winter hat suggestions that won't leave marks? I prefer beanie/toque style, but I'm open to other suggestions.

Thanks and be well, everyone!

Hi Jerome,

I suggest looking for an alpaca knitted cap for your Chicago winter.  Alpaca is four times denser than wool, but lighter, softer and itch-free.  An alpaca cap won't be cheap - like in the range of $40, but it's well worth it.  There's a place in New Jersey called Wood's Edge Farm that raises alpacas and sells caps.  Check them out online.

Offline Runningman586

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2021, 11:02:23 AM »
I've been very suprised by the winter. My head hasn't gotten that cold like I thought it would. It actually been really refreshing.

Offline chuck63

• Sly
« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2021, 11:09:09 AM »
I couldn’t agree more!  I had always let my hair grow in the winter because I thought my head would get cold.  We’ve had a relatively cold winter so far.  Like you said, I find the cold air to feel good on my bald head.

Offline Runningman586

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2021, 12:15:09 PM »
How's everyone doing in this chilly time? Have any of you grown out your hair, or have you embraced the cold with a fresh bald head everyday?

Offline reddog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2021, 01:11:29 PM »
Well, I decided to try growing my hair again with this frigid weather, and it was the same as all the other times. After about 10 days, I started breaking out again in the back of my head. The only way to stop it is to keep it shaved, so I shaved the sides and back. A few days later, I didn't like how the top looked, so I cut it to a horseshoe flattop. As it grew, it just didn't look good, especially on a guy my age.(67) So I made it almost 3 weeks and yesterday I returned to a nice smooth bald head. It looks great, and I'm happily sly! At some point I have to stop trying to grow it back, I'm never happy with it, and always glad to have a shaved head back.
Bald by choice, and loving it!

Offline clint902

• Super Sly
« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2021, 06:07:54 PM »
I still shave but always wear a toke when I go outside which I've always done anyway.  When the weather gets a little warmer, I'll venture out without a toke but I'll keep it in my pocket just in case it gets breezy.

Offline Goatee

• Bald and Proud to be!
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2021, 04:02:51 PM »

How do you manage with your 'head' shaved off? Lol

Offline clint902

• Super Sly
« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2021, 12:57:56 AM »
I'm sure he has a plan. :*))

Offline Semi-Sly

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2021, 09:16:05 PM »

How do you manage with your 'head' shaved off? Lol

I wouldn’t worry about it my father always said I never use my head very much anyway !