Author Topic: Your Shave Routine  (Read 364513 times)

Offline Timmer

• Super Sly
  • And it harm none, do what you will.
Re: Your Shave Routine
« Reply #480 on: February 02, 2012, 06:59:30 PM »
First of all, a lot of you know that I'm a Headblade fan.  Once they added the wheels to less expensive model, I was finally able to use it without shredding my head.

Recently I ran out of blades so I just kept shaving my head with my Schick Hydro 3 that I use on my face.  Ya know what?  I can shave my head faster and more comfortably with the Schick than I can with my Headblade.  I almost always have to go back with the Schick when I shave with my HB to get a couple of stripes that ALWAYS get missed and the base of my neck which I simply can't get with my HB without giving myself a major burn.  Bonus?  I don't have to buy separate blades.

Look, I still think the Headblade is one of the coolest things out there and I've yet to find a better value on lube than Headslick, but the blade choices just aren't that great.  Let me have a Mach 3 Blade or a Hydro 3 Blade on the Headblade chasis. 
One definition of "surrender" is, "To join the winning side."

Offline AgeTwentyTwoBaldy

• More sly than a fox
  • Sly
  • Penn State's sly icon
« Reply #481 on: February 16, 2012, 09:29:30 AM »
Bought a badger shave brush and it is due to arrive at my house tomorrow. I probably won't get to use it for my first shave until Saturday morning, though, but I'll be sure to tell you guys how it goes.

Offline ProphetNoir

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #482 on: February 16, 2012, 04:01:08 PM »
Bought a badger shave brush and it is due to arrive at my house tomorrow. I probably won't get to use it for my first shave until Saturday morning, though, but I'll be sure to tell you guys how it goes.
I will be looking forward to your review on using the brush.  Be sure to let us know how the whole lather building process goes as well.  
I use a brush and I will never shave any other way.

Next day follow-up post

I just completed what has got to be my best head shave so far.  As usual I shaved my head right after shaving my face.  I decided to whip up a superlather tonight which is something I rarely do.  For anyone who is unfamiliar with brush lathering, a superlather is made by combining a shaving cream with a shaving soap.  Both have slightly different properties in lather, and combining the two can create something indescribably rich and slick.  There are variations with additional ingredients, but the basic soap and cream is what I went with.  

It was the very best lather I have ever made and, as good as it was on my face, I could not wait to lather my dome with it.  Long story short - or is it too late for that - I am now sporting an insanel smooth head and I cannot stop running my hands over it.  I have mentioned before that my preferred razor is the Bump Fighter system.  I was able to go against the grain and remove every patch of stubble that I could feel.  Yeah!  This is how I want my head to feel all the time.

Gentlemen, I cannot say enough good things about building lather with a brush and a bowl.  If there are any others here who share the pleasure, please speak up, I would love to know what your favorite soaps and creams are.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2012, 07:13:11 PM by ProphetNoir »

• More sly than a fox
  • Sly
  • Penn State's sly icon
« Reply #483 on: February 18, 2012, 09:58:53 AM »
Just had my first shave with the brush today. Wow, this is amazing. I should have started doing this a long time ago. It'll get even better once I get more experienced with it, and I also just bought some of that classic English shaving cream that comes in a tub.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/180809165521

Since I'm still using Nivea shaving cream out of a can, I know I did not experience the most awesome lathering, and most importantly, the most awesome shave yet. Once I get that new cream, though, I think I am going to be in shaving heaven. My head and face feel so great. I was worried that this whole process of buying this stuff would end up in a flop and that it wouldn't make a noticeable difference, but my fears were quickly put to rest when I was done shaving my head and face and ran some cool water over everything.

This is amazing. I can't wait to get that real shaving cream now! I don't think I ever want to shave without the brush again. For anyone who wants a better shave, I highly recommend that you buy this brush:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tweezerman-Mens-100-Badger-Hair-Shaving-Brush-Wood-Handle-2801-H-NEW-/160701464896?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item256a8dc140

Even if you don't add the cream that I'm going to, you will still get a better shave, guaranteed.

Offline ProphetNoir

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #484 on: February 18, 2012, 10:33:49 AM »
Congratulations Baldy!  Just be forewarned, collecting brushes, soaps and creams can become addictive and expensive.  
On that note let me say that, while some of the very best soaps and creams can be pricey, there are some truly outstanding soaps and creams that rate just as high or higher than the 'premium' names and are very reasonable.

Enjoy!
« Last Edit: February 18, 2012, 01:37:00 PM by ProphetNoir »

Offline BaldBear

• Bald, Bearded and Bear!
  • Team Sly
  • Super Sly
  • "woof!"
« Reply #485 on: February 18, 2012, 10:44:36 AM »
I've been wanting to try the brush method for a while now, but I m so used to shaving in the shower. I am not sure the two methods will mix well.
Woof!
"The more hair I lose...the more head I get!"

• More sly than a fox
  • Sly
  • Penn State's sly icon
« Reply #486 on: February 18, 2012, 11:12:25 AM »
Congratulations Baldy!  Just be forewarned, collecting brushes, soaps and creams can become addictive and expensive. 
On that note, let me say that, while some of the very best soaps and creams can be pricey, there are some truly outstanding soaps and creams that rate just as high or higher than the 'premium' names and are very reasonable.

Enjoy!

Have you ever tried any products from Taylor of Old Bond Street?

Offline ProphetNoir

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #487 on: February 18, 2012, 01:47:06 PM »
Have you ever tried any products from Taylor of Old Bond Street?

I have sampled several offerings from T.O.B.S. and they are excellent creams and soaps with a long history behind them.  You can do well with just what they have to offer.  If you ever go to the Badger & Blade or Shave My Face forums you will find yourself surrounded by folks who are just as devoted to shaving as the members here.  The discussions on creams and soaps may astound you, but a few favorites will emerge quickly.  My personal favorites so far have been  - the rather unfortunately named in some folks minds, but not so much in mine - Nancy Boy shave creams and the rather pricey Castle Forbes cream.

A word about Castle Forbes; though it is expensive you do get slightly more in the tub and it is a very dense cream, more akin to a soft soap.  It takes very little to build a good lather, but it will take some practice.  I think it is one of the finest products of any kind that I have ever experienced.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2012, 05:55:54 PM by ProphetNoir »

• More sly than a fox
  • Sly
  • Penn State's sly icon
« Reply #488 on: February 18, 2012, 03:15:12 PM »
I look forward to many great shaves, especially once my T.O.B.S cream arrives.

Offline SlyAggie

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #489 on: April 12, 2012, 02:57:32 PM »
Well, after lurking for a few days, I took the plunge Tuesday night and no-guarded my almost full head of hair (although I did it because of the greying and receding hairlines).

This morning I decided to take it all off with a a Hydro 3 blade.  My routine so far was as follows (thanks to all who posted up on their routines before me...I took many suggestions):

Before I did all of this I clipped one more time with no guard
1. Shower and wet the top of head with as hot of water as I can stand
2. Scrub head with Gillette Fusion Warming Facial Scrub (and this stuff really does warm up) and a Buf Puf facial scrubber
3.  Wash the rest of body
4.  One last blast of hot water on the head
5.  Place hot water soaked towel on my head while I dried off body and assembled supplies
6.  Rub Art of Shaving Pre-Shave Oil all over my head
7.  Loaded Badger Shaving Brush with Art of Shaving Shave Cream
8.  Lather up my head really good with brush
9.  Went with the grain all over head one pass
10.  Re-lathered and went against the grain
11.  Hopped back in cold shower to rinse off and patted dry my scalp
12.  Rubbed Witch Hazel over all of head
13.  Once dry, used Nivea Sensitive Skin Aftershave lotion
14.  Before leaving house, rubbed a little Gold Bond Ultimate Healing lotion on my head

Got many great compliments at work today, so I must have done something right!

Offline BaldBear

• Bald, Bearded and Bear!
  • Team Sly
  • Super Sly
  • "woof!"
« Reply #490 on: April 12, 2012, 03:37:28 PM »
Got many great compliments at work today, so I must have done something right!

You look GREAT!
Woof!
"The more hair I lose...the more head I get!"

Offline Shane.G

• Mr Graves
  • Sly Jr.
« Reply #491 on: April 13, 2012, 02:48:46 PM »
my routine (probably fails because iv only been sly for a week :D ) i get in a red hot shower and use nivea face scrub on my head and face i then leave the water running over my noggin for about 5 minutes. i use gillette shaving foam and fusion to shave against the grain on my top then back. i then feel for fuzzy spots and tidy them up. i then wash my head again with the face scrub and rinse with cold water. i rub witch hazel into my head and leave to dry then finish off with aloe vera lotion :)

Offline Baldstu

• Sly Bureau
  • Me
« Reply #492 on: April 13, 2012, 04:15:06 PM »
Sounds good

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #493 on: April 15, 2012, 04:41:02 AM »
May have to make some adjustments after the stitches come out on the 23rd....But a shaving brush and Shave Secret will definitely be part of the equation!
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline Shane.G

• Mr Graves
  • Sly Jr.
« Reply #494 on: April 15, 2012, 04:34:02 PM »
got guided through a shave by 'derris the barber' a fellow sly member and iv never had my head feel so good!!! i reccomend talking to him if your unsure or just want to change your routine a little