Author Topic: Your Shave Routine  (Read 362544 times)

Offline Butterflies1984

• Learning the way of Sly
Re: Your Shave Routine
« Reply #465 on: December 01, 2011, 08:01:46 PM »
Cool! thanks alot guys! will give it a whirl in a few days! O0

Offline Paul the Headblader

• Sly Bureau
  • They see me rollin' they hatin'
    • My facebook page :)
« Reply #466 on: December 01, 2011, 11:30:40 PM »
Cool! thanks alot guys! will give it a whirl in a few days! O0
tell us how it went :)
be who you are, say what you feel, because those who matter don't mind, and those who mind don't matter

Offline outsider82

• Sly
« Reply #467 on: December 07, 2011, 05:10:23 PM »
I agree with KC, once you get used to shaving you don't need a mirror. You'll get used to trailing and checking for missed spots with your free hand.  O0

Too true, much easier using your free hand to trail the razor to find missed spots. I can easily shave my head without looking in a mirror.

Offline Itall

• Super Sly
« Reply #468 on: December 12, 2011, 09:28:37 PM »
I do a quick dry shave with a Panasonic electric to cut down the stubble and shave my face at the same time. After that I get in the shower with HOT H2O and after a cleanse with dove bar soap and a wash cloth i lather the scalp with aveno sensitive skin shave gel and do a wet shave with the Panasonic wet/dry electric. Smooth as can be and lasts all day. No irritation. Smells great.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2011, 09:31:19 PM by Itall »

Offline The Original Chewmiester

• Sly Guy in Training
  • Sly isn't just a style, it's a way of life.
« Reply #469 on: January 06, 2012, 02:11:03 AM »
My routine varies based on what time of year it is and how much time I have.

Winter Time: Do at sink

1. Warm scalp with hot washrag
2. Apply Gillette Thermal Scrub to head
3. Rinse
4. Apply HeadSlick mixed with Shave Secret
5. Using Xtreme3, start at front of the head, followed by sides and back. Rinsing after each short stroke.
6. Reapply Slick and check for missed spots.
7. Wash up with HeadWash and pat dry
8. Apply HeadLube Glossy

Spring-Fall: In shower (more hot water)

Steps 2-6 are done, and then shave face.
Followed by Steps 7-8 to finish.

Offline KDusk

• Sly
« Reply #470 on: January 06, 2012, 09:12:20 AM »
Well, the full version goes like this:

1. trim stubble with clippers
2. lather head (and face) with coconut oil, wait for 5 minutes (for me it helps avoiding razor burn)
3. get into a rather hot shower & rinse off excess oil
4. apply Gilette Fusion Hydragel to the head
5. shave with Gilette Fusion
6. rinse and remove dead skin with a washing cloth
7. use tinted moisturizer on face and head (it hydrates AND helps avoiding the 5 o'clock shade a little)

Sometimes I don't use the shaving gel and I just shave using the excess coconut oil. And I don't use a tinted moisturiser everyday since I'd rather not look like an oompa loompa.

Slynito

« Reply #471 on: January 07, 2012, 07:12:29 PM »
And I don't use a tinted moisturiser everyday since I'd rather not look like an oompa loompa.

I know whatcher sayin'...I wouldn't want to look like no damn, "Oompa Loompa", no way!

:-[

Offline Highguage

• We're all born bald
  • Sly Jr.
  • Love it smooth
« Reply #472 on: January 08, 2012, 03:23:30 PM »
I shave every Wednesday and Sunday. I use my Head blade Sport with a Gillette sensor excel blade. I use regular shaving cream and very warm water. When finished i apply moisturizing cream.
Bald is the new black!

Offline Kojack

• Sly
« Reply #473 on: January 16, 2012, 10:37:51 AM »
Hello all. My routine has changed drastically since I first joined the site.
Back 4 or so years ago, it went something like this....

Very hot water on the scalp to soften the stubble.
Some shaving oil, followed by a thin layer of HeadSlick shaving cream.
Then I would use my Panasonic Wet/Dry Shaver ES8078 (Which I still use to this day and have never changed out the blades, although they probably could use it) and I would run it all over the scalp feeling with my fingers that all the stubble was gone.
Finally I'd run cool water and later even ice to close the pores.

This way worked fine except the back of my neck was prone to breaking out even after using ice.

Eventually I gave us the routine and just dry shave my head with the Panasonic shaver daily.
It's quick, I never break out, and while it might not be quite as close, it's still close enough for me!

I also picked up a second Panasonic, originally as a back up, but now I just kind of rotate them. I bought it about a year after the first and with the excepting of cleaning them every week or so, I have had no issues with them at all!! I have a 3rd one still in the package as a back up now. I can't recommend this product enough for guys who want to keep a shaved dome!

I did try shaving with MACH 3 razor the first few times, but I never like it, and had to have my girlfriend help me get the back of my head since I was so new, I was nervous as hell to shave what I couldn't see.
Remember to never take my advice seriously (unless I'm being serious) and you'll do alright.

Offline BBCESQ

• Sly
« Reply #474 on: January 16, 2012, 02:51:13 PM »
So here is my shave routine.  I've been at it almost 30 days now, and am still getting red bumps on the back of my neck.  So any thoughts you could give would be welcome.

When I first started I was shaving about every 3rd or 4th day.  Now, I am closer to every day or every other.  While it does very some, my usual routine looks like this:

1.  Hot shower scrubbing my head with a loofah
2.  Get out of the shower and dry everything off except my head
3.  Right now I am using Clarin's Men - Shave Ease Oil (it was very expensive so I am looking for alternatives) and use it liberally on my head
4.  Lather may head with either a regular thick shaving cream or with the Art of Shaving Unsented Shave Cream
5.  I shave with a Schick Quattro Titanium using the directional method in that I shave with the grain first and then perpendicular to the grain second.  I try to stay away from shaving against the grain except for missed spots.  I am also very careful to not shave over the back of my neck more than once or twice.
6.  Once I am satisfied, I apply Bump Patrol to my entire head, and a couple of times to the back of my neck.
7.  Finally as I am on my way out the door for work, I finish up with HeadLube Glossy

Since I've been doing this, I've noticed improvement in the redness, but is still red and I haven't noticed any real improvement in quite some time.  Is there something else I should be doing?  Should I shave more/less often?  My skin may just be too sensitive.

I tried using my Merkur DE razor yesterday and only ended up giving myself razor burn all over, even though it was my closest shave yet.

Any input would be greatly appreciated. 

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #475 on: January 16, 2012, 03:15:16 PM »
BBCESQ #1--Shave Secret reasonably priced at the Wal-Mart, great shaving oil or use baby oil with aloe.  I'd add a wipe down after you finish shaving with an astringent, I use hydrogen peroxide 3% solution, cheap, less than a buck, others use witch hazel, I don't like scents of any kind so I'll stick to the hp, and watch out with colored towels and clothes while its wet.  Another thing for red inflamed skin can be hydrocortizone lotion, not the creme formulation, also with aloe.  Rub that in after the astringent dries, then finish up with a non-oil based shave balm, I really like Nivea Extreme.  That's it.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2012, 03:24:28 PM by saintc »

Offline Hammy

• Sly Jr.
  • Don Sweeny, the Stanley Cup, and I!
« Reply #476 on: January 16, 2012, 05:12:04 PM »
BBCESQ - after you shave a cold water rinse might help as well. I've heard of guys even using ice after a cold water rinse to close up the pores. Good luck!

Offline imaginary

• Sly
« Reply #477 on: January 30, 2012, 02:36:26 PM »
Thus far: shave soap and brush with vintage Gillette safety razor post shower.
Once upon a time. The End.

Offline AgeTwentyTwoBaldy

• More sly than a fox
  • Sly
  • Penn State's sly icon
« Reply #478 on: January 30, 2012, 03:28:34 PM »
Hot shower, Nivea sensitive skin shave gel, headblade, easy day.  8)

Offline BBCESQ

• Sly
« Reply #479 on: January 31, 2012, 07:08:32 AM »
After the replies I've added to my routine:

A cold water splash
Witch hazel
After shave balm (some expensive brand I got as a gift)

I must say I've had a huge improvement in the redness and bumps. While there is still some redness, it is much much better and is no longer inflamed. Also I now feel comfortable going over the problem area more then once or twice for smoothness without having to worry that the redness and bumps will come back.

Thanks again.
Couldn't be happier.

Enter your email address: