Author Topic: Your Shave Routine  (Read 365781 times)

Offline Daven

• Super Sly
Re: Your Shave Routine
« Reply #450 on: July 28, 2011, 03:06:56 PM »
Ok, so after about 6 weeks of being sly, here's my routine I am using most of the time. I shave every other day for head, and twice a week for face, my facial hair is slower to grow and my (second) chin is sensitive.. :)

I shower in a luke-warm shower as if I shower in a hot shower, my MS acts up and hurts, so I can't take a hot shower. I soap up the whole body and then focus on luffa my head and really working the body wash on it. (my friend who is sly and taught me a lot showed me anti-bacterial body wash to use). and repeat twice.

Toward the end of the shower I put it on hotter and just let it fall on my head for about 5 minutes.  Then I soak a washcloth in  hot water and then ring it out. then turn off the shower and put the hot washcloth on my head and dry off. then I get out and keep the washcloth on my head as I prep my shaving stuff.

I then fill the sink with warm water and take the washcloth from my head and put it on the edge of the sink. I put headslick on my new brush (LOVE THE BRUSH- a cheap one from Target) and lather up. then I shave with the grain and then against the grain. Then I feel for missed spots, paying close attention to my ears. being OCD it takes longer to make sure NO stubble is left behind. Takes about 20 min to shave. 

Then since with water and wash with Ben. Per. And finish it off with either tanning lotion spy 8 or headline matte. 

Get dressed and enjoy my smooth head, oh, now is also the time my wife gives my scalp a kiss. She HATED it at first, now she LOVES it right after I shave.

The BIG and best advice my friend gave me was putting the hot washcloth on my head and leaving it on there until just before I shave. that  5 minutes or so really makes the difference. Keeps the pores open.
AKA Gimpy

Offline ORTO

• Sly Guy in Training
    • Tumblr
« Reply #451 on: July 28, 2011, 04:25:41 PM »
The BIG and best advice my friend gave me was putting the hot washcloth on my head and leaving it on there until just before I shave. that  5 minutes or so really makes the difference. Keeps the pores open.

Very true. If I don't do the cloth trick, it kind of shocks my scalp when I have to open the bathroom door to grab a hand mirror and to let the bathroom mirror de-fog, and that seems to negate all the work I've done to soften the stubble in the first place!

Offline DaleBlankenship

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #452 on: August 17, 2011, 11:30:22 AM »
I shave in the shower, so after washing my head and face with soap, I put some barbasol on my head and neck (I have a full beard) and use either my fusion or Mach 3 (depending on which one had cartridges on sale the last time I ran out) and go to town.  After the shower I use an unscented Vitamin E gel lotion on my head. 

Offline karlman84

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #453 on: October 11, 2011, 07:46:16 PM »
I have been fully sly for a couple of weeks now.  I never thought to leave a hot wash cloth on my head while drying off every where else!  This is why this site is awesome!

Right now my routine is to shave my head and face every other day right after a shower.  I only need to shower every other day because I work in a office and don't really work up much of a sweat  :). (now I will leave the washcloth on the head right after my shower.)

I use a shave gel on my face and head, this stuff is clear and almost looks like hair gel when you squeeze it out of the bottle (I can't remember the brand, it was on sale and I am still trying everything out right now) and shave with the grain.  I have tried shaving against the grain on my face, but my skin is too sensitive for that, and always break out in razor burn a day or two later.  Its just not worth it!  I then use Gillette fusion pro-glide shave gel (this comes out blue from the can) on my head and shave against the grain. I save the excess gel (if any) in-case I need to do another pass on some spots that were missed. Doing this two step process, definitely seems to help with the razor burn.  I use Gillette Fusion proglide blades to do the deed, but the headblade is definitly looking very intersting! :-\ When shaving against the grain I need to be very careful as I have some kind of cist above my right ear, and it hurts when it gets nicked!  I also have a ward that I am in the process of getting rid of on the back of my head, it has never bothered me before, but now that I am going sly, it needs to go!

Once all the shave gel is scraped off, I check for stubble.  I have found that if my head or fingers are dry it is much harder to feel, but if i wet my fingers then check, I can feel the stubble much easier.

If there is any, I will use the excess gel from the first run and reapply on that spot and and give a quick pass with the razor. 

I am not too concerned if some spots of stubble are left as I still always seem to find some after I wash and pat dry my head.  My hair is blonde so you don't even notice it by just looking.

After my head is dry, I throw on some Gillette after shave lotion for sensitive skin!  I just love the felling of the cold air hitting my head when I leave the bathroom!  In total my shower and shave routine takes about 50 minutes give or take.  My shower and shave time are about equal as I enjoy a long hot shower, its nice a relaxing.

Offline BaldBear

• Bald, Bearded and Bear!
  • Team Sly
  • Super Sly
  • "woof!"
« Reply #454 on: October 11, 2011, 11:42:10 PM »
I only need to shower every other day because I work in a office and don't really work up much of a sweat

:-\
Woof!
"The more hair I lose...the more head I get!"

Offline jumissa.fi

• Finnish B.B.C.
  • Sly
« Reply #455 on: October 12, 2011, 11:15:14 AM »
for everyone willing to save cash in razorblades: www.razorpit.com <---- tested it now for about a month and i can guarantee it works :) + full refund if ur unhappy for any reason :) -Jumissa-
--- BBC since July 2oo7 ---

http://www.myspace.com/jumissafi

marty22

« Reply #456 on: October 19, 2011, 08:02:44 PM »
spam

Slynito

« Reply #457 on: October 19, 2011, 08:16:04 PM »
 :*)) :*)) :*))

Offline Paul the Headblader

• Sly Bureau
  • They see me rollin' they hatin'
    • My facebook page :)
« Reply #458 on: October 19, 2011, 10:54:37 PM »
well, it goes easy for me.
I grab my shaving foam (some gillette stuff), I apply it on my head, then I get my Gillette Blue 3 and shart shaving it.
I repeat  this 2 times (2 in total), then I do the same with my beard. I shave my beard daily so It will "grow" faster :)
I do this every day.
be who you are, say what you feel, because those who matter don't mind, and those who mind don't matter

Offline tmgrood

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #459 on: October 20, 2011, 05:13:55 AM »
I shave every other day. My face, head and then I take my shower.
So far I have been using the Headblade shaving cream and really like it. My blade of choice is the Mach 3.

Offline skram

• Sly
« Reply #460 on: November 14, 2011, 10:19:05 AM »
I've been shaving for 3 weeks now and I seem to have a routine down, so thought I'd share it.

I shave my face in the shower, but haven't tried shaving the head there yet.

After my shower, I rewet my head and lather up with HeadSlick. I use the HeadBlade and shave front to back with the grain. I then re-lather - I like this part, the mentholated cream feels good on the freshly scraped scalp. I then shave from back to front against the grain.

Next, I shave in an upwards motion next to and just above the ears. For this part I just hold the ring of the razor between my forefinger and thumb. I find it easier that way for just around the ears.

Then I feel around for any missed spots to clean up, there are usually a couple in the back.

I rinse with cold water. I picked this up from a post (I think by Buddha). Like others have found, it feels good and gives a good rinse. I then use HeadLube Matte to finish off.

I'm finding that I get a smooth shave, although I do have 2 spots at the base of my skull on either side that I do have trouble getting as smooth as the rest. I'll keep trying to find a way to smooth those out more. Seems the direction of the grain is diagonal and that combined with the hollows/contours keep me from cutting it as close.

I've only nicked myself once and it was tiny and barely bled. It was just behind my right ear and was on my second day of shaving.

I want to thank everyone on the board, I read a lot of posts and got a lot of good advice before I started and I think that helped me get started with a good routine from day 1.

Next things I want to try:
- Shaving the dome in the shower. My current shower mirror is small and has lost its fog free capability. I'm okay with it for the face shaving as I've been shaving it in the shower so long I don't need the mirror as much. Once I get a new mirror I'll give the head a try.
- Using a brush with the HS.
- A new face shave routine. I'm finding that my dome shave is smoother than that on my face, so I'm thinking that I may need to work on that routine now.

Offline Butterflies1984

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #461 on: November 30, 2011, 08:19:18 PM »
Hi guys,

I'm new here! Just wondering if you have any tips on how to shave the back of your head. I'm having issues doing it without the help of my partner which sucks.

any tips would be much appreciated! :px

Offline SLYinKC

• Life's too short to not be SLY
  • Sly Bureau
  • Totally "SLY"
« Reply #462 on: November 30, 2011, 08:38:21 PM »
Hi guys,

I'm new here! Just wondering if you have any tips on how to shave the back of your head. I'm having issues doing it without the help of my partner which sucks.

any tips would be much appreciated! :px

I do everything back there by the braile method.  Just takes practice.
<a href="http://www.imagechef.com/" target="_blank"> [img width= height= alt=ImageChef.com - Custom comment codes for MySpace, Hi5, Friendster and more]http://cdnll.img1.imagechef.com/w/080404/samp2e8ccec0733546ef.jpg[/img] [/url]<embed

Offline xnewyawka

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #463 on: December 01, 2011, 11:16:35 AM »
I agree with KC, once you get used to shaving you don't need a mirror. You'll get used to trailing and checking for missed spots with your free hand.  O0

Offline Laser Man

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #464 on: December 01, 2011, 05:11:49 PM »
It's too awkward to hold a mirror and try to shave.  As the others have said, you can do it by feel.  If you're a rightie, start on your left and work your way to your right, using your left hand to feel for missed spots.  After a couple of times, you'll get the hang of it and it will be very easy.